Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with preinstalled Freesat receivers

Options
  • 24-07-2019 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

My current set up is sky q with a 10 year old LG tv.
    My intention is not to renew my sky contract and upgrade the tv to a new smart model with built in satellite receiver as I want to reduce the number of units plugged in and extra remote controls.

I want the TV to have both Freesat and FTA capabilities but Freesat is a must for me.

My local electrical outlet were unable to confirm that any of their TV models were freesat equipped in spite of the fact that their website stated that some models had a 7 day EPG on some of their higher end models.
    I have always thought that once a satellite receiver has a 7 day EPG then this means that it is Freesat.
    Am I incorrect in thinking this?
    Can anyone recommend a good Ultra HD TV with built in Freesat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

Zebbedee wrote: »
    My current set up is sky q with a 10 year old LG tv.
    My intention is not to renew my sky contract and upgrade the tv to a new smart model with built in satellite receiver as I want to reduce the number of units plugged in and extra remote controls.

I want the TV to have both Freesat and FTA capabilities but Freesat is a must for me.

My local electrical outlet were unable to confirm that any of their TV models were freesat equipped in spite of the fact that their website stated that some models had a 7 day EPG on some of their higher end models.
    I have always thought that once a satellite receiver has a 7 day EPG then this means that it is Freesat.
    Am I incorrect in thinking this?
    Can anyone recommend a good Ultra HD TV with built in Freesat?

7 day guide is not the same as having Freesat, most FTA receivers are actually capable of several days of a guide, it's just the UK FTA channels only transmit now and next information.

If you see a TV you like just Google the model number to see if it's Freesat before buying. Be aware many Freesat TV's are a pig to change between modes. Think new LG's are Ok if you save channels in favourites and have at least one channel from each mode saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Check the richersounds site - Link (Irish site doesn't have as many filter options)
    You can filter by TV tuner.
    There's a "Talk to" section on here where the guys are happy to answer questions and do boardsie deals too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Freesat TVs - https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/televisions/

The TV must be setup with the UK as the country/region for Freesat to be enabled, this results in the Saorview channels being stored in the 800s, which I believe can be manually relocated back to 1, 2, 3 etc. as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

emaherx wrote: »
    Be aware many Freesat TV's are a pig to change between modes.

How does this manifest itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

most of the LG sets have freesat tuners built in

starting with a 32 inch full hd set which retails at £219 in RS or you may pick one up in your local currys in ROI for around €229/239

Best bet to go onto the LG website and apply freesat as a filter or contact RS

you can move between inputs quiet easily - having programmed your remote

for me long press of 1 = saorview tuner

long press of 2 - Freesat tuner

long press of 3 Now TV

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-4k-ultra-hd-tvs/televisions/televisions/301_3002_30002_256_ba00011146-bv00309067-ba00013254-bv00312214-ba00013552-bv00313172/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

list here as an indicator - you may need to cross reference the model with its irish price /equivalent as many of the irish websites dont have freesat listed as a search filter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

Zebbedee wrote: »
    How does this manifest itself?

Varies from Model to model, might have several button presses to get from Freesat to terrestrial or plain old FTA satellite modes, could be via a standard or hidden type menu. Some TVs might not support FTA satellite and Freesat modes (you may have to pick one and switching to the other may require a retune).

I have 2 old Freesat TVs one is a Sony and has one button press to change from Freesat to Saorview, the other is a Samsung and requires pressing list button followed by red button then down a few times and select. Don't find it a big deal but some TVs are worse than that. Don't think either of mine support FTA and Freesat it's one or the other when tuning in TV initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

emaherx wrote: »
    Don't think either of mine support FTA and Freesat it's one or the other when tuning in TV initially.

One of the requirements of Freesat is that there is a non Freesat mode available.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

How do you program the remote?

Advertisement