Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder costs

Options
  • 23-07-2019 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Hi all

What should I be expecting to pay a childminder for 2 days a week to mind our 13 month old in our own home? Roughly 8am-5pm each day. We are in North County Dublin if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If it’s in your own home, you become the employer, so I would imagine you need to pay at least the minimum wage as well as organising prsi, tax etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would agree with Jlm but anecdotally, costs around here would be about 45-60eur a day.Depending on your minder.If they are in your home, I would not be asking for any cleaning or anything for that price.
    Also an agreement around whether you leave cooked food or they cook would be needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

shesty wrote: »
    I would agree with Jlm but anecdotally, costs around here would be about 45-60eur a day

That would be illegal given the hours posted

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

It might be illegal, but it happens plenty. At the end of the day, it probably depends on the circumstances of the minder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭facehugger99

:rolleyes:

It's a very common arrangement.

Paying minimum, wage, PRSI, taxes, etc. is pie-in-the-sky nonsense. No working parents could afford this - it would cost them money to go back to work

Around €55-60 would be standard enough for this, if both parties are happy with the arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I believe it's technically called a nanny if they come to your house and mind only your kids, and therefore they are your employee. Childminders are self employed so you don't have the same obligations.

You can pay them less than minimum wage if you want and they agree to it, but if there's a falling out at any point you are wide open to legal action and you will certainly lose. The decision and risk is yours to take.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It would, but as I said, anecdotally, it's what I have often heard quoted in this area as a rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Paying minimum, wage, PRSI, taxes, etc. is pie-in-the-sky nonsense. No working parents could afford this - it would cost them money to go back to work

Around €55-60 would be standard enough for this, if both parties are happy with the arrangement.
    We pay it. We're registered employers and look after all legal requirements. No way would we leave ourselves open to a case under employment law by dodging our responsibilities.

Paying tax and prsi is not pie in the sky nonsense, most working adults do it. If the parents can’t afford this, then they should look for an alternative that they can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I see a lot of childminders on the likes of Mindme.ie charge between 5-10 euros per hour for one child, more for 2 or 3 children.
    Some mothers at the school my child attends have started child minding for other parents in the school. It's quite common. No contract, no taxes, no holiday pay, just cash in hand very casual arrangements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Brego888 wrote: »
    Hi all

What should I be expecting to pay a childminder for 2 days a week to mind our 13 month old in our own home? Roughly 8am-5pm each day. We are in North County Dublin if that makes a difference.

Not sure of the going hourly/daily rate but just wanted to chip in a few things that need to be considered from the off to avoid any potential issues later on. These include what happens about payment during your/childminder's holidays and illness. Generally speaking if the service is available and you choose for any reason not to use it, the childminder should still get paid. Similarly if the childminder cannot offer the service on any given day they are meant to, you should not have to pay. This is assuming your child is being cared for in the childminders' home.
    I'd also ask if any meals are included in the fee they'll be charging. You'd usually be expected to supply nappies/wipes/cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are having a laugh???

A 10 hour day for 55/60 per day? That's 5.5 to 6 euros per hour? I'm not sure what you would be hiring for almost half of the minimum wage but it won't be a qualified child minder. Are you mixing up an au pair with a nanny? You'd honestly let someone willing to work for 6 euro per hour mind your children?

My daughter is a qualified child minder and working as a nanny. The going rate for a nanny in North Dublin is 15 /16 euros per hour. You are the employer so you are responsible for prsi, tax, public holiday, holiday pay and nanny car insurance.

I see a lot of childminders on the likes of Mindme.ie charge between 5-10 euros per hour for one child, more for 2 or 3 children. Some mothers at the school my child attends have started child minding for other parents in the school. It's quite common. No contract, no taxes, no holiday pay, just cash in hand very casual arrangements.

That's totally different to being a nanny. Minding children in your own home you can earn up to 15k tax free. It's not unlike the rent a room scheme. This means that other mothers can mind kids cheaply as its tax free in their own home. These usually aren't qualified in childminding & don't have a proper structured age appropriate activities throughout the day. Plonk the kids in front of the TV all day. They usually won't be trained in lifesaving either. The child minder is self employed BUT they should have child minding insurance for their home and their car if driving children around.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You are having a laugh???

A 10 hour day for 55/60 per day? That's 5.5 to 6 euros per hour? I'm not sure what you would be hiring for almost half of the minimum wage but it won't be a qualified child minder. Are you mixing up an au pair with a nanny? You'd honestly let someone willing to work for 6 euro per hour mind your children?

My daughter is a qualified child minder and working as a nanny. The going rate for a nanny in North Dublin is 15 /16 euros per hour. You are the employer so you are responsible for prsi, tax, public holiday, holiday pay and nanny car insurance.

I am not disagreeing with any of that.Nor am I arguing that it is right.I simply said that anecdotally I have heard it quoted as a price from a few sources.

Whether it includes driving, cooking duties (I wouldn't expect it to) or what PRSI etc arrangements were in place, I do not know.

shesty wrote:
    I am not disagreeing with any of that.Nor am I arguing that it is right.I simply said that anecdotally I have heard it quoted as a price from a few sources.

I think you missed my point. A childminder is a profession with qualifications, training, and Garda clearance etc. They don't work for 5 or 6 euro per hour. In someone's house.

What you are discribing are babysitters. My dog walker gets 10 euro per hour per dog. My cleaner is 15 an hour. Pay peanuts and you will get monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would think the 55/60 a day is for people who look after your child as they go about their business. More a local lady who does it for a few quid possibly looking after her own children at the same time. It would probably be in her house.
    Plenty of nanny’s get paid reasonable money and gave their taxes etc paid legitimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

jlm29 wrote:
    If it’s in your own home, you become the employer, so I would imagine you need to pay at least the minimum wage as well as organising prsi, tax etc.

Are you kiddin. I don't anyone who dose'nt pay cash in hand for babysitter in own home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mod note :

If you employ a child minder in your own then legally you are an employer and employment laws apply .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement