Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing a Contract of Employment

Options
  • 23-07-2019 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a question for a friend of mine whos worried about his current work situation.

Basically he recently went for a job interview and was subsequently offered employment with this company. He accepted the offer, signed the contract, scanned the signed declaration to his recruitment agency who sent it on to his new employer. He also signed a letter of resignation from his current employer and sent it to his current boss.

A couple of days later his current employer offered him a lot more money and a new position within the company. He now would really like to stay with his current employer to avail of this new opportunity but he has already signed and sent the contract of employment to his new employer.

Is he now bound legally to the signed contract of employment with his new employer? What would happen if he decides to stay with his current employer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Med101007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have a question for a friend of mine whos worried about his current work situation.

Basically he recently went for a job interview and was subsequently offered employment with this company. He accepted the offer, signed the contract, scanned the signed declaration to his recruitment agency who sent it on to his new employer. He also signed a letter of resignation from his current employer and sent it to his current boss.

A couple of days later his current employer offered him a lot more money and a new position within the company. He now would really like to stay with his current employer to avail of this new opportunity but he has already signed and sent the contract of employment to his new employer.

Is he now bound legally to the signed contract of employment with his new employer? What would happen if he decides to stay with his current employer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I wonder why his old boss suddenly understood his value to.them - probably after he got a call looking for a reference!I cetainly wouldnt throw over the new job until the old jobbhad put their offer in writing and it had been formalised by a contract. I get the feel from your post that the friend wouldnt mind staying now that the better deal is on the table. He will never be able to move to.that new.company if he messes them over now. He would be able to move back to.his original.company.for a.higher.role in a few years though! I wonder how niche the roles are?

Regarding the contracta at this stage it would be poor form but still possible to stay - quote sudden change in family circumstances - have to take care of a family member recent suden illness - they would be ****ty about it and realise why but I doubt very much that they would dream of suing and no doubt have a next in line lined up and ready to.go.

Remember in any HR contract you have no proper legal.rights in the eyes of the law regarding security of tenure until.you have been there a year and a day so.if.your friend is thinking of retaining his old role for mor cash and a promotion let there not be a break in contract . The new job can dismiss you with no recourse from.you until you have been there 366 days full time. Assuming you're not dismissed for being a minority, pregnant etc

If you feel.really strongly about staying then do. Sometimes you have to.go.with what hou onow is best for.you. and dont worry - the recruitment company may try to.twist.your arm.but they will have a B candidateninterviewed and primed to start at the drop of an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Nothing they can really do.
    No one would bother suing or looking for lost money.
    Just tell them ASAP that you've changed your mind.

Advertisement