Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV has been shared with direct reports without permission.

Options
  • 22-07-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who is doing some contract work at the moment and managing a medium sized team.

It has come to their attention that the person they are covering for sent their CV to some of the team without their permission. I’m just curious as to opinions on this? They asked my advice and I said it wouldn’t be something I would ever do, but I wasn’t able to offer anything more than that. Theyre not comfortable with it TBH, and understandably so imo. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

There is nothing confidential in it. If they are on linkedin then everyone in the world can see said CV.
    In my view its no harm for the other team members to see the level of experience, although asking for consent is the key here.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

TheShow wrote: »
    There is nothing confidential in it. If they are on linkedin then everyone in the world can see said CV.
    In my view its no harm for the other team members to see the level of experience, although asking for consent is the key here.

Address is in it, as are their Personal phone number and email details.

No consent sought, nor permission given.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

CV is personal data so its not something that should be sent around without your friend's consent. That being said, the company may have a privacy policy that your friends signed which stipulates who they might share a CV with internally/externally etc, and they may have agreed to this policy when signing their contract, so worth checking that before raising anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TheShow wrote: »

CVS tend to have addresses, contact numbers, those of referees and often more detailed than what's on LinkedIn.

CV is personal data so its not something that should be sent around without your friend's consent. That being said, the company may have a privacy policy that your friends signed which stipulates who they might share a CV with internally/externally etc, and they may have agreed to this policy when signing their contract, so worth checking that before raising anything.

Nothing related to this, I did ask her - sorry, I should have clarified that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Just so I'm clear:

John is the manager of a team.

The people on his team are Sarah, Michelle, Jessica.

Your friend, Bill, applies for John's role. John shares Bill's CV with Sarah, Michelle, or Jessica.

Am I getting this right?

Or did John share it with his peers (e.g. the manager of another team) or his superiors?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear:

John is the manager of a team.

The people on his team are Sarah, Michelle, Jessica.

Your friend, Bill, applies for John's role. John shares Bill's CV with Sarah, Michelle, or Jessica.

Am I getting this right?

Or did John share it with his peers (e.g. the manager of another team) or his superiors?

More like this:

Mary goes on Mat. Leave and is replaced by Sarah.

9 people report to Mary. A few weeks into Mat. Leave Mary sends Sarah’s CV to 2 of the team (both of whom report to Her/Sarah), and not the others. Both of these people are junior to Sarah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

More like this:

Mary goes on Mat. Leave and is replaced by Sarah.

9 people report to Mary. A few weeks into Mat. Leave Mary sends Sarah’s CV to 2 of the team (both of whom report to Her/Sarah), and not the others. Both of these people are junior to Sarah.

That's extremely odd.

I wouldn't care they know my details, but I would care it is a sign the team are probably unhappy with me.

Team: "She's useless! How did she get this job!"

Mary: "No she really is qualified. I'll send you her CV".

Something like that.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    That's extremely odd.

I wouldn't care they know my details, but I would care it is a sign the team are probably unhappy with me.

Team: "She's useless! How did she get this job!"

Mary: "No she really is qualified. I'll send you her CV".

Something like that.

I’d agree there’s something off about it, but I’m still very surprised that such info. would be shared. I doubt for example HR would sanction such a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Address is in it, as are their Personal phone number and email details.

No consent sought, nor permission given.

Yes,
    I stand corrected on that one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement