Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App for tracking feeds and nappies

Options
  • 21-07-2019 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering has any personal recommendations for the best app to track nappies, feeds etc. Hoping to breastfeed so preferably one that allows to track which boob, length of feed etc. Due in August but just trying to be prepared in advance. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have a 1 month old and stopped tracking nappies, feeds etc when I came out of the hospital. I wrote them on a piece of paper. Just think it could get very obsessive and plus just don’t really have the time for it! Now if there was an issue with the baby putting weight on that’s another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I used the one below. It’s freeand you can track which boob, how long the feed is, nappies, sleep and loads of other stuff that I never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I use one called baby tracker. Our baby is 9 weeks and bottle fed. I track bottle times purely as I’m terrible at remembering what time I started a bottle and it’s handy to be able to check how long since a feed. Also I tracked sleep times to give me an indication of her pattern so now know when she likes to go for a nap etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

tracking just causes anxiety. i wouldnt recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Herself used https://www.feedbaby.com.au/

Used it just for feeds not nappies, she found it useful for when she did a feed in the middle of the night couldn't remember when/how long/which side first thing next morning.

I'm pretty sure she used it for both ours but only when they were really small.

It's free but we definitely paid for some add on/upgrade - I can't remember why but was was cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

bee06 wrote: »
    I used the one below. It’s freeand you can track which boob, how long the feed is, nappies, sleep and loads of other stuff that I never used.

That’s the one I used. Didn’t cause me any anxiety but I really only used it to track which boob I had used last as I kept forgetting!! When I look back on the amount of hours spent feeding it blows my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Wouldn’t bother with an app myself. If I forgot which side I fed from I would just feel which side was fuller.

Millem wrote: »
    Wouldn’t bother with an app myself. If I forgot which side I fed from I would just feel which side was fuller.

Mine always felt the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Digs wrote: »
    That’s the one I used. Didn’t cause me any anxiety but I really only used it to track which boob I had used last as I kept forgetting!! When I look back on the amount of hours spent feeding it blows my mind.

I used it for the same reason. My little boy used to feed for so long and swap back and forth so much I could never remember which side to start on next. I used it for dirty nappies as well because we had a few issues at the start and every day started blending into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Digs wrote: »
    Mine always felt the exact same!

No mine didn’t even at 21 months I would still feel full.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    No mine didn’t even at 21 months I would still feel full.

That’s just my point, everyone is different so the app might help others keep track in the event of their boobs not telling them :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I used to do a little eh....jiggle...when I wasn't sure which breast had been last.The lighter one was the last one fed from.
    Had be discreet about it when out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

For what end? At the end of the day as long as the child is happy and healthy feed the child when it is hungry and change it when it is dirty. What benefit to the standard of care can an app bring? It only absorbs more of your time.

I would also say that after a few days or a week the app will be forgotten as the stress and sleep deprivation start to kick in on you and you hardly know what day it is never mind fiddling with an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

For what end? At the end of the day as long as the child is happy and healthy feed the child when it is hungry and change it when it is dirty. What benefit to the standard of care can an app bring? It only absorbs more of your time.

I would also say that after a few days or a week the app will be forgotten as the stress and sleep deprivation start to kick in on you and you hardly know what day it is never mind fiddling with an app.

In the early days there is a lot of focus from heathcare professionals on nappy content and feeds. The recommendation is to feed baby every three hours at the start but when a day is 67 hours long, it is so hard to remember when you started the last feed. I had a baby last week and myself and my husband are still scribbling things on a bit of paper at night just to make sure we are communicating when and how much our daughter is feeding or whether she has pooped or not. It is dangerous if baby hasn't pooed or peed in a while. Sleep deprivation is a nightmare and it is hard to remember everything so keeping note can make parents feel more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I used a couple of different ones but ended up keeping only the "Baby Care" one. It ticked all the boxes for me, could help track breastfeeds (time, which side, how long), bottles (amount, time), nappies, growth stats, pumping (time, volume, side), nappies, any comments and milestones.

TBH, for me the app was indispensable. I used a piece of paper for the PHN the first day and it was a pain trying to find where I threw the posted in the middle of the night. The app was much easier and the PHN was able to scan the info and give any advice. I used it to track feeds, pumping, bottles, nappies and weight for the first 3 months because it was critical to her health and continuing breastfeeding. It's all fine to say it's not needed if you have a healthy baby and easy feeding, but otherwise, it can be a lifesaver. I'd have been more stressed if I didn't know whether we'd made progress pumping more milk and increasing supply. It was reassuring to see, albeit minimal, improvement.

I continued to use the app until she was a 1.5yrs old! At that stage it was for solids though as I wanted to diversify her diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I used the notes app in my phone. Time & L/R and W/D for boobs & nappies respectively. Found them a while ago and shuddered at the sleep deprivation but apparently wasn't enough to stop us from going again! We have a whiteboard in our kitchen that we write down meds on still when our toddler's sick to avoid double dosing of calpol etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

I use Huckleberry and it's great, tracks feeds, nappies, pumping, and most importantly naps and sleep. Babs is 4 months old now and we've been using it for the last month and she naps so so so much better now as it sends you a remindr for optimum nap time betwee awake time and baby getting overtired. Great to track nappies and feeds, particularly when they're poorly. It's free and I'd recommend it to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

I use Ovia Parenting. It isn’t amazing but it gets the job done and is free.

I would really recommend using an app. I get anxiety a lot and I find it very reassuring to have a record. I’m still using it to track all breastfeeds and my baby is over 6 months. One great thing is any time my baby has been sick or been to the doctor or nurse for any reason I can categorically state how baby has fed, number of nappies, sleep etc in previous days. Great for middle of the night feeds that I’d ordinarily forget!

Also very good for spotting emerging patterns in sleep and feeds. I find it indispensable to be honest and don’t see myself stopping any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

I didn't use an app with my first, just wrote down times / length of feeds, which side and wet or dirty nappies. But it was a bit of a pain, especially at night, so I gave up after about 2 weeks.
    One tip I got which was helpful was to put a safety pin or ribbon on bra strap to remind which side to start next feed.
    I might try using an app this time, like the idea of reminder for nap time, as I was terrible at putting baby down for regular naps and she was terrible at falling asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

tiredcity wrote: »
    I used the notes app in my phone. Time & L/R and W/D for boobs & nappies respectively. Found them a while ago and shuddered at the sleep deprivation but apparently wasn't enough to stop us from going again! We have a whiteboard in our kitchen that we write down meds on still when our toddler's sick to avoid double dosing of calpol etc.

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

All breastfeeding experts will encourage you to feed on demand, as often and for as long as baby needs to. No two babies are the same, with some feeding quickly and efficiently while others like to languish at the breast for a long and leisurely feed. Babies also come to the breast for many reasons other than hunger - thirst, comfort, being hot or cold, feeling different emotions, during growth spurts and developmental leaps, and many others.

Unless there's a medical problem with the baby, I would advise against tracking feeds. Watch your baby, read up on newborn hunger cues, and respond appropriately. Baby will let you know when he or she is done. If you're unsure which side you fed off last, there's a very easy way to tell - feel your boobs! In the early weeks, your boobs go hard when they're full of milk and soft when baby has emptied them. So cop a feel and latch baby onto the fuller breast.

As for nappy changes, with the tiny newborns you'll generally change them before, halfway through or after each feed, depending on what works best for you. If there is a poo in between those times, you'll just add a change in then too. You really don't need to track it because it is common sense, to be honest.

As for nappy changes, with the tiny newborns you'll generally change them before, halfway through or after each feed, depending on what works best for you. If there is a poo in between those times, you'll just add a change in then too. You really don't need to track it because it is common sense, to be honest.

Common sense often goes out the window when your brain is fried from sleep deprivation and the trauma of having a baby! I usually change my newborn at the start of a feed but the other day it took me less than 15 minutes to forget that I changed her and I changed her again mid feed.

As long as it is doesn't become obsessive, I don't see the issue with keeping track. My daughter is 16 days old and we have already stopped writing things down but I wish we kept it up as she hasn't pooped in 4 or 5 days (normal for a breastfed baby) but I would still like to know when her last one was, but I forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Common sense often goes out the window when your brain is fried from sleep deprivation and the trauma of having a baby! I usually change my newborn at the start of a feed but the other day it took me less than 15 minutes to forget that I changed her and I changed her again mid feed.

As long as it is doesn't become obsessive, I don't see the issue with keeping track. My daughter is 16 days old and we have already stopped writing things down but I wish we kept it up as she hasn't pooped in 4 or 5 days (normal for a breastfed baby) but I would still like to know when her last one was, but I forget!

Love in april, just so you know, it’s normal for a breastfed baby after about 6 weeks. Up to that they should be going more often/daily. Not trying to worry you, but do keep an eye on that!

A hair bobbin on your wrist is another way to remind yourself which side baby fed on last.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Love in april, just so you know, it’s normal for a breastfed baby after about 6 weeks. Up to that they should be going more often/daily. Not trying to worry you, but do keep an eye on that!

Thanks for that. I mentioned it to the GP yesterday and she didn't seem concerned. She actually recommended giving water but the things I have read say that is not advisable because of water intoxication so we have done all the other bits (bath, massage, bicycle legs etc.). She is very smelly but still no poop!

Thanks for that. I mentioned it to the GP yesterday and she didn't seem concerned. She actually recommended giving water but the things I have read say that is not advisable because of water intoxication so we have done all the other bits (bath, massage, bicycle legs etc.). She is very smelly but still no poop!

She will get there! There’ll be a happy explosion any time now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

An ounce or two or diluted prune juice either (cooled boiled water with it).Recommended by our pharmacist, as recommended to her by the maternity hospital for her own baby!
    She suggested 4 oz of prune juice but I didn't want to overdo it!!
    As for the apps, never bothered myself.We wrote feeds down for our first for a few weeks, as we they ask you to in the hospital anyway, but after that, never bothered.The second two -I didn't have time with another child in the house.You get into the habit of watching the clock.It becomes second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

We use one called baby tracker. My son was extremely premature and in the NICU for 3 months so it's a necessity for us to keep track of how much he's drinking etc as he is still very small. It gives us far more peace of mind than anxiety.

Advertisement