Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for teen

Options
  • 20-07-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My teenage son turns 17 in January and he is obsessed about getting on the road asap. I'm a country woman and we all learned how to drive at 15 and were on the road asap. I'd like to help him within all the normal safety concerns but insurance seems to be a mine field. I drive a big 09 Avensis Estate and the insurance people are not interested in him on this vehicle. Will I have to buy a new (new to me) car? I'm a middle income earner and a single parent so every penny is a prisoner. The Chill guy suggested buying an Aygo!!! What have other people done to get their teens on the road? I would be willing to get another car but not such a wee one. Any suggestions of ways to do this? And suggestions of insurance companies willing to take us on? All his driving friends have different arrangements and it's really confusing as to what to do. Please share your experiences and advice. Many thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

Whenever your renewal is due see if you can switch to Aviva. They do the driving lessons pack for €495 + he’ll get 6 months on your policy. Can be extended out in 3 month installments after that if needs be. Seems to be the only way to get a young starter going in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No matter what you do it'll cost to insure a 17 year old. Just ring around all the insurance companies and brokers to see who will give you a reasonable quote, don't bother changing car unless you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Iromac wrote: »
    My teenage son turns 17 in January and he is obsessed about getting on the road asap. I'm a country woman and we all learned how to drive at 15 and were on the road asap. I'd like to help him within all the normal safety concerns but insurance seems to be a mine field. I drive a big 09 Avensis Estate and the insurance people are not interested in him on this vehicle. Will I have to buy a new (new to me) car? I'm a middle income earner and a single parent so every penny is a prisoner. The Chill guy suggested buying an Aygo!!! What have other people done to get their teens on the road? I would be willing to get another car but not such a wee one. Any suggestions of ways to do this? And suggestions of insurance companies willing to take us on? All his driving friends have different arrangements and it's really confusing as to what to do. Please share your experiences and advice. Many thanks.

If you're not exactly flush with cash, and you're going to need to be to get a teenager on the road, tell him to fund it himself :D

Buying a new car is a bit overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Iromac

Hahaha! He has a job washing pots in a restaurant. It’s a start. Was thinking of changing the car but Toyota goes forever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Just change to Aviva
    Regardless of the car you drive it’ll be 499€ for first 6 months insurance plus 13 lessons.
    Then next 3 months (if needed) is 199€ with 6 lessons

Edited to add: my insurance was dearer for my big ‘older’ car with aviva but the quote plus the 499€ was Better than the crazy price from my insurance co. And the rest who wouldn’t even quote us for adding a learner driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Iromac

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Advertisement