Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

bought a house - some fixing needed

  • 20-07-2019 10:30am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ murfilein


    ok so i actually decided on a house and my offer was accepted - the sale is being completed, and we hope to move in until the end of september, as primary school begins and we want our daughter to start in the school near our house.

    anway, all houses we've looked at had some type of damage somewhere. thats to be expected obviously, we're not buying a new house.

    so the house we chose looks pretty damn good, expect for one small area. there is a velux window on the roof in one spot, and one corner of that is wet and the wall next to it slightly wet and cracked.

    my best guess would be that it wasnt isolated correctly so water got inside or so, but whatever.

    who can i contact to have that looked at and fixed? what kind of professional does that in the cork city area? i dont know if the frame can be fixed or needs to be replaced... and the wall needs to be dried i guess? or replaced? i dont know.

    also, the engineer will have a look at the house soon - when he notices it, could this have any advantages for me? like, lowering the purchase price of the house or something?
    Tagged:


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ LirW


    I'm confused - where in the process are you? Getting a survey is the first thing that should happen after you're sale agreed.
    Get the survey done and see what the report says, your surveyor can point you into the right direction who's best to fix it.
    Do not under any circumstances repair anything before you have the keys.
    Sometimes you can negotiate the price after the survey but that entirely depends on the seller, they might entertain you, chances are they won't because most properties are sold as seen. No harm in trying though.

    Also if you're "just" sale agreed, keep looking. Almost half of all purchases fall through for circumstances that are out of your control.
    And if you just went sale agreed you're being quite optimistic moving in in September. The whole process can take anywhere from 8-25 weeks and there's holiday period in between.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ Sunrise_Sunset


    Once you go sale agreed, your mortgage provider will probably sent out a Valuer of the property. You then hire your own Surveyor who would raise any of these issues with you and your Solicitor.
    A Surveyor could be anywhere between E250-E600 (in my area anyway).


  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ murfilein


    LirW wrote: »
    I'm confused - where in the process are you? Getting a survey is the first thing that should happen after you're sale agreed.
    Get the survey done and see what the report says, your surveyor can point you into the right direction who's best to fix it.
    Do not under any circumstances repair anything before you have the keys.
    Sometimes you can negotiate the price after the survey but that entirely depends on the seller, they might entertain you, chances are they won't because most properties are sold as seen. No harm in trying though.

    Also if you're "just" sale agreed, keep looking. Almost half of all purchases fall through for circumstances that are out of your control.
    And if you just went sale agreed you're being quite optimistic moving in in September. The whole process can take anywhere from 8-25 weeks and there's holiday period in between.

    well yeah i'm sale agreed and i paid the deposit - does that not secure the house for us?

    i'm not going to get anything repaired now, but i just wanted to be prepared to get someone in the house to have a look at it and get a quote for the repair.

    thanks for the tips!


  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ murfilein


    Once you go sale agreed, your mortgage provider will probably sent out a Valuer of the property. You then hire your own Surveyor who would raise any of these issues with you and your Solicitor.
    A Surveyor could be anywhere between E250-E600 (in my area anyway).


    oh yeah my solicitor told me to wait until he gets certain info from the selling agency, and once he confirms that everything is fine, then i should get an engineer to have a look at the house.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    The velux, get a carpenter to sort it. Depending on the weather they can sweat if the vent isn't open. Just let it dry and paint over it and see how it goes. It's not a big deal. As lir said get a survey.
    Doubt you'll have keys in September, solicitors go on holidays shortly for 2 weeks expect everything to grind to a halt.


  • Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Toots


    murfilein wrote: »
    well yeah i'm sale agreed and i paid the deposit - does that not secure the house for us?

    i'm not going to get anything repaired now, but i just wanted to be prepared to get someone in the house to have a look at it and get a quote for the repair.

    thanks for the tips!

    No, that’s just the booking deposit. Until the keys are in your hands, it can fall through, although it’s less likely to do so after contracts are signed, but it’s not unheard of.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ Sunrise_Sunset


    murfilein wrote: »
    well yeah i'm sale agreed and i paid the deposit - does that not secure the house for us?

    i'm not going to get anything repaired now, but i just wanted to be prepared to get someone in the house to have a look at it and get a quote for the repair.

    thanks for the tips!

    That's just your booking deposit. As the above poster said, until contracts are signed (which could take a few weeks), the sale could fall through for various reasons, many out of your control. So, hedge your bets until that's done. And keep looking around.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭ Corruptedmorals


    I'd point it out when booking the survey if I were you as a particular point of interest. Survey companies are happy to pass on questions to the engineer after the report if you still have a question based on what the report brings up.

    September is very optimistic for keys although stranger things have happened. We think it is optimistic but quite possible for us. We are 1 month sale agreed, bank loan pack with solicitor, survey and valuation complete, mortgage protection and home insurance ready to issue. But...no contracts yet and August is looming where we expect annual leave to have an impact. So even at this point without the contracts signed and the rest of the deposit (minus the booking deposit) paid, it's not binding.

    Get the survey done ASAP. You have every right to try lower your offer for the house based on essential repairs. They have every right to say house is sold as seen. Be as quick as you can lining up finalisation of loan and mortgage protection and the rest so that as least if solicitors go on holidays you can still be productive and getting there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ Sunrise_Sunset



    September is very optimistic for keys although stranger things have happened. We think it is optimistic but quite possible for us. We are 1 month sale agreed, bank loan pack with solicitor, survey and valuation complete, mortgage protection and home insurance ready to issue. But...no contracts yet and August is looming where we expect annual leave to have an impact. So even at this point without the contracts signed and the rest of the deposit (minus the booking deposit) paid, it's not binding.

    Similar situation. Contracts are ready. Hoping to sign next week. Have been given a closing date of mid August. I haven't asked the Solicitor if or when their annual leave is. Is this okay to ask?


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Similar situation. Contracts are ready. Hoping to sign next week. Have been given a closing date of mid August. I haven't asked the Solicitor if or when their annual leave is. Is this okay to ask?


    Most solicitors go on annual leave in August as Courts close so it’s a very popular time. No harm in asking. Even if your solicitor isn’t on holidays, if purchasers solicitor are they will delay.

    Is the closing date in contracts mid August or has your solicitor said mid August? If it’s contracts I’ll wouldn’t be so sure. I am hearing some banks have a back log in funds issuing over holidays.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ Sunrise_Sunset


    Dolbhad wrote: »
    Most solicitors go on annual leave in August as Courts close so it’s a very popular time. No harm in asking. Even if your solicitor isn’t on holidays, if purchasers solicitor are they will delay.

    Is the closing date in contracts mid August or has your solicitor said mid August? If it’s contracts I’ll wouldn’t be so sure. I am hearing some banks have a back log in funds issuing over holidays.

    I'm unsure. I didn't realise there was a difference. And it's a very good point. I should raise it with them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    I'm unsure. I didn't realise there was a difference. And it's a very good point. I should raise it with them.

    The contract closing date tends to be very aspirational. Usually quite soon after contracts issued. But if there was any issue or missing legal paperwork or your bank was slow issuing loan offer, that all adds time. However if your signing contracts next week that would mean you should close soon. I don’t think funds are requested until seller signs contracts so say you sign next week, contracts are returned and contracts are signed by sellers a week later your already into August.

    If funds are requested then from your bank it can take a week to get to solicitor and then provided all closing documents are ready, you could close mid August. But that’s provided no one is on holidays and sellers are basically out of the house and have everything moved out. They may only start doing that when contacts are signed and may need more than two weeks.

    Ask your solicitor when your signing contracts when they would expect to close. And maybe check with your bank everything else is in order like life insurance, house insurance etc so no delays there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19


    Better chance of Trump not tweeting anymore than closing the deal in September.

    For that to happen you'd have to have both your solicitor and the sellers solicitors being efficient and willing.

    Considering that most solicitors are inefficient, slow and cumbersome and will throw a tantrum if told to hurry up, I'd be looking at end October as a more realistic date.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ Sunrise_Sunset


    Dolbhad wrote: »
    The contract closing date tends to be very aspirational. Usually quite soon after contracts issued. But if there was any issue or missing legal paperwork or your bank was slow issuing loan offer, that all adds time. However if your signing contracts next week that would mean you should close soon. I don’t think funds are requested until seller signs contracts so say you sign next week, contracts are returned and contracts are signed by sellers a week later your already into August.

    If funds are requested then from your bank it can take a week to get to solicitor and then provided all closing documents are ready, you could close mid August. But that’s provided no one is on holidays and sellers are basically out of the house and have everything moved out. They may only start doing that when contacts are signed and may need more than two weeks.

    Ask your solicitor when your signing contracts when they would expect to close. And maybe check with your bank everything else is in order like life insurance, house insurance etc so no delays there.

    We have life insurance and house insurance sorted. The sellers next house is empty and ready to move into. But we do have the buyer of our apartment to consider too. And any holidays. I think mid August is optimistic but even the end of August would be ok.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭ riclad


    Part of the solicitors job is to check that there,s no unpaid debts on the house, esb ,gas bill,s etc he has to check that are the documents relevant to the house are there ,this may include documents re the boundarys and ground rent.
    it usually takes 6-8 weeks to complete the transaction ,
    also you will have to go to an office some day and sign the contract to buy the house maybe a week or 2 before the transaction is complete .
    You can email the solicitor and ask him does, he know how long it will take to complete the transaction .
    Will the summer holidays delay the closing date of this transaction.
    An old house will have more documents to check than one thans less than 20 years old.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    We have life insurance and house insurance sorted. The sellers next house is empty and ready to move into. But we do have the buyer of our apartment to consider too. And any holidays. I think mid August is optimistic but even the end of August would be ok.

    I forgot you were balancing a sale and purchase. Did your bank have any condition in loan offer that the your current place needs to be sold first before you can drawdown new mortgage for the house? That could add more time to your purchase if so. Or did they just ask for contracts to be in place? Least then you could see if your solicitor could balance it so your just moving stuff from one place to another.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ Sunrise_Sunset


    Dolbhad wrote: »
    I forgot you were balancing a sale and purchase. Did your bank have any condition in loan offer that the your current place needs to be sold first before you can drawdown new mortgage for the house? That could add more time to your purchase if so. Or did they just ask for contracts to be in place? Least then you could see if your solicitor could balance it so your just moving stuff from one place to another.

    Another very good point and one that I don't know the answer to. Lots of chasing up on things to do today it seems. Thanks for the heads up.


Advertisement