Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to use a week 1 Basis

Options
  • 18-07-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I could really do with some help and advice here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a bad experience this year where I started a job but had to leave after a single day. This was a PAYE role and to be fair the employer did end up paying me for the single day I worked.

I am now starting a new job and am really worried about something specific.

I did not mention anything about this single day employment to my new employer (as I wanted to keep the experience private).
    Also, as I have been paid by them it means that when starting my new job I will have a small amount (a single days wage) that will be visible to my new employer when they are given my RPN details.

I have not worked in any other job this year so the new employer would be able to see that I had a very small amount earned in the current year. It may be a very suspicious number and lead to questions.

I asked revenue for advice and they mentioned that I could start on a week 1 basis.

This way my historical records would be hidden. I can do that by registering the employment in advance and requesting revenue to set it up in that way.

It sounds great but now I am worried that week 1 basis may in itself draw suspicion.

I am wondering how employers perceive people starting mid-year on a week 1 basis.
    Is it a common practice ? What explanation could I offer to explain why I registered the employment on a week 1 basis?

Would I better off just leaving things as they are?

Thanks alot to anyone who helps. I am quite anxious about the whole thing so would appreciate anything you could offer by way of advice
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Week 1 is not at all unusual part way through a tax year. A person could have had social welfare payment or other circumstances where the cumulative basis might not be appropriate. I wouldn’t expect any employer to be curious about an RPN on week 1 basis. Nor should they have any interest in it anyway. Their job is to apply the instruction provided, not to speculate on why it is the way it is. Most employers have enough other things to do anyway than be bothered with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EirMax

Thanks alot Stratvs. I greatly appreciate your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I wouldnt worry, I run Payroll and I couldnt give a fiddlers what is on the RPN as long as I have one and it looks ok calculations wise. Chances are the person running the payroll wont be the one who hired you so they honestly wont care so do it either way. The only thing with week 1 - you will be more likely to pay tax as it wont take unused credits year to date into account. You can claim any overpaid tax back at the end of the year so if you can afford to then thats just another consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EirMax

Thankyou for replying. That is very useful insight.

Advertisement