Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan to Dublin: Commute,transport, surroundings

Options
  • 18-07-2019 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

I live in Dublin, but the crazy rent boom is making me look for other options outside the city. Friends at work recommended county Meath (I work in Santry and my son studies in Stillorgan).

They told me that Navan would be a good option. I was thinking about renting a 2 bed house and my rent price range would be 900 to 1500 (1200 would be the best option to me).
    I would like to know information about commuting to Dublin:

- Bus options
    - it is better to buy a car?
    - Are there good options of supermarkets, shops, hospitals, pubs, restaurants, pharmacy, etc (amenities)
    - Other options for commuting? Train? Express bus... Is it expensive?
    - How much would I have to spend with transport to commute every day?
    - If I want to go to a meeting with friends in a Pub in Dublin at Friday night, would I have the option to return home in Navan by bus? What would be the latest time?
    - Would another places in Meath also be good options? (Athboy, Trim, Slane, Ashbourne, Dunderry...)?

If anyone that lives in Navan and commutes to Dublin could share your experience, me and my son would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Hi ELV_Dublin,

I've lived in that part of Meath for a few years.

The commute to Dublin was tough for me but this was before the M3 was made, which has helped vastly.

If you can afford it, and have some where to Park i would look at buying a car.

Let me tell you getting the bus every day was soul destroying. If the bus was late, or full you could be waiting 30 mins or more for the next one. In the winter it was awful and i wont even mention the traffic. (Remember though this was before the motorway)

The bus you'd be getting would be the 109 from Bus Eireann. They are every half an hour, but Bus Eireann's service has been slipping for years. If you dont have to take the bus, then dont.

If you were commuting every day, you'd need to get an Adult 10 journey ticket which costs (according to the website) 71 euro. (I'm sure there are tax savers etc)

There is no train you can get, its either Car or Bus. Some busses take the motorway which get into dublin much quicker, i dont think they cost more, but are generally busier for obvious reasons.

The last bus is just before midnight so you'd want to be leaving your mates early if you wanted to catch the bus.

Navan (i think) is the biggest town in Meath. It has all the amenities you'd need as they have the population to support it.

Personally though i dont really like Navan, i much prefer the smaller towns that have a bit more character. Trim and Dunshaughlin are both really nice.

They are closer to Dublin so cheaper bus tickets and shorter commute

Advertisement