Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many ? Fridges freezers?

Options
  • 16-07-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

During my research i see a lot of talk about how important fermentation temperature control is, and how cold crashing is used.

From what i can make out it sounds like 3 fridges/freezers are needed for best results

1 as fermentation chamber to keep temp correct with an added heater.
    1 For cold crashing before bottling
    and
    1 for storing beer before being served. be it a beer fridge for chilling my bottles or a keezer if i was to keg it.

is that how many you guys have?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't have any. Like any equipment, wait until you have a problem that it will solve. If you're happy with the results you get without temperature control there's zero need to invest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't have any. Like any equipment, wait until you have a problem that it will solve. If you're happy with the results you get without temperature control there's zero need to invest in it.

how dare you tell brewers we dont NEED something, we NEED shiney stuff :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've one fridge in the shed, that acts as a fermentation chamber, the same fridge is used for cold crashing. Bottles sit at room temp and rotated in the kitchen fridge as i drink them.
    Now, I've moved to kegging i've been thinking of an other fridge, sneaking it past wifey is the hardest part :D

stecleary wrote: »
    how dare you tell brewers we dont NEED something, we NEED shiney stuff
    I'm just saying that the quality of beer produced does not increase in line with the number of shiny things purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

stecleary wrote: »
    I've one fridge in the shed, that acts as a fermentation chamber, the same fridge is used for cold crashing.

that's the sort of info i need.

was getting hard to fathom or justify the need for 3 fridges lol especially since i wouldn't have the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raxy

I have 2, 1 for fermentation/crashing & the 2nd was for storing bottles & now for kegs.

I've bought 5 fridges in the last year though. 1 stopped working, 1 from dodgy scum who sold it faulty. Another I realised wasn't big enough when I got it home & then the 2 I am using now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

I guess if i plan getting one for fermentation/cold crashing i will have to go around measuring the inside before i buy one to make sure my buckets will fit.

Or is there a certain capacity i should stay above to make sure its big enough ?

Draw the circumference of your buckets/kegs on cardboard, cut them out and bring them shopping with you.

It all depends what you putting into it. 1 have 3 bucket fermenters. 1 fits no problem, 1 is a tight fit & the third is too big. Something to watch is the light/star on the side, they can get I the way.
    If your not stuck for space the fridge freezer types are great. Bigger & wider so everything fits easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

chevron wrote: »
    I guess if i plan getting one for fermentation/cold crashing i will have to go around measuring the inside before i buy one to make sure my buckets will fit.

Or is there a certain capacity i should stay above to make sure its big enough ?

Just measure the buckets, width, height, and remember to factor in airlock height, and whether you want to fit 2 buckets if you are going for a larder fridge.

You are unlikely to have bad fit problems with fermentation buckets, as long as you are buying proper size fridges that exclude the ice box.

Remember to exclude the salad drawer from your internal measurements- you won’t be able to use that space.

Chest freezers are another option, but they are impractical to use with bucket fermenters (carboys work well with them)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Just a question to those who use a fridge for their fermentation at what temperature range do you have your fridge when fermenting, you dont want it too cold as the yeast will become dormant, I guess what I am asking what are normal temp ranges provided in fridges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kilns wrote: »
    I guess what I am asking what are normal temp ranges provided in fridges
    one trick would be putting it on a timer plug, so it might turn on 15mins every 2 hours or so, if the brew was wrapped in a jacket it would help buffer against temp flucuations.

My guess would be many household fridges would have a fairly low max temp, to safegaurd against inadvertent spoilage.

kilns wrote: »
    Just a question to those who use a fridge for their fermentation at what temperature range do you have your fridge when fermenting, you dont want it too cold as the yeast will become dormant, I guess what I am asking what are normal temp ranges provided in fridges

The temp depends on the yeast your using. I'm usually at 19 degrees.
    You need an inkbird/stc controller & a heat source. The controller switches between hot & cold to keep it at the correct temperature.

raxy wrote: »
    The temp depends on the yeast your using. I'm usually at 19 degrees.
    You need an inkbird/stc controller & a heat source. The controller switches between hot & cold to keep it at the correct temperature.

So you plug in the fridge, connect the inkbird to it and wrap the heat belt around the fermenter, as a fridge will never reach 19 degrees the inkbird ensures the belt heats it to around 19 degrees or can the inkbird have the ability to totally switch off the fridge which may not need the requirement for the belt to be used (only when needed)?

You plug the fridge & heat belt into the inkbird. There's a temperature probe on the inkbird. You just set your temp & it will turn on the fridge if it gets too hot or the heat when it gets cold.

raxy wrote: »
    You plug the fridge & heat belt into the inkbird. There's a temperature probe on the inkbird. You just set your temp & it will turn on the fridge if it gets too hot or the heat when it gets cold.

I’m guessing you have to drill holes in the fridge to get the wiring in

You can & I have been meaning to but for now I just put it through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

the fridge door will still seal with the wires running through it, i've never drilled into a fridge, i dont see the need to

Advertisement