Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do about stray cat, if anything?

Options
  • 16-07-2019 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

We have had a little visitor over the last month or so. A black and white older kitten, almost fully grown but not quite. He comes up to the back patio door and sits there but when we open the door he scarpers. Won't let anyone near him. I'm saying him but honestly, I've not gotten close enough to look.
    He seems in good shape, healthy coat, healthy eyes and no obvious injuries. A bit underfed I'd say as he's quite scrawny.
    We've been putting out food when he's around and fresh water. He'll happily come up once we're the other side of the patio door and has even taken a shine to a box we have outside for naps.
    We don't see him every day.

Anyway, I'm all too aware of the issues about stray cats not being neutered.
    But can't get near this guy at all to get him to a vet, checked out and neutered if necessary. His mistrust of people coming close to him makes me think he's not someones pet.

Any advice? (Never had pets or cats so wouldn't know where to start or if I should leave well enough alone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BookNerd wrote: »
    We have had a little visitor over the last month or so. A black and white older kitten, almost fully grown but not quite. He comes up to the back patio door and sits there but when we open the door he scarpers. Won't let anyone near him. I'm saying him but honestly, I've not gotten close enough to look.
    He seems in good shape, healthy coat, healthy eyes and no obvious injuries. A bit underfed I'd say as he's quite scrawny.
    We've been putting out food when he's around and fresh water. He'll happily come up once we're the other side of the patio door and has even taken a shine to a box we have outside for naps.
    We don't see him every day.

Anyway, I'm all too aware of the issues about stray cats not being neutered.
    But can't get near this guy at all to get him to a vet, checked out and neutered if necessary. His mistrust of people coming close to him makes me think he's not someones pet.

Any advice? (Never had pets or cats so wouldn't know where to start or if I should leave well enough alone)

You are doing wondrously..

Contact a cat rescue group near you. They will lend you a humane trap so you can get it to the vet. worked with me for a very very aggressive feral. and yes neutering is needful,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Graces7 wrote: »
    You are doing wondrously..

Contact a cat rescue group near you. They will lend you a humane trap so you can get it to the vet. worked with me for a very very aggressive feral. and yes neutering is needful,

I was going to say exactly what Graces7 has said, and if you don't know of a local cat rescue, the ISPCA will also come out and help with catching the cat. Continue to feed him, but a day or so before the rescuers call out, don't feed him so he is hungry and will be easier to get into the trap. Also, if you can get him used to eating in the box you let him nap in, this will also make trapping easier. Best of luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

sit nearby when you put out some food for him. chat to him. do this every time he comes around. eventually he will allow you to get closer. give him a tiny stroke on his head when you can reach. Do this every day that he comes to the house. talk softly. hold out some choice piece of meat in your hand. Eventually he will realize that he can trust you. You might have found yourself your first cat :):):):):) *and yes, definitely get him/her neutered

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Forget about the cat rescue+rspca keep feeding him and try to win him over you'll have a lovely pet at some stage when he knows he can trust you.,

decky1 wrote: »
    Forget about the cat rescue+rspca keep feeding him and try to win him over you'll have a lovely pet at some stage when he knows he can trust you.,

The neutering matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Graces7 wrote: »
    The neutering matters.

I do agree, but that can be done when you can get his trust .:cool:

decky1 wrote: »
    I do agree, but that can be done when you can get his trust .:cool:

from long experience, needs doing as a priority. he will be more amenable etc when neutered. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Plus if he is a she, he will soon drop a few little surprises!

Knine wrote: »
    Plus if he is a she, he will soon drop a few little surprises!

and best to do all the vet stuff then form a relationship else the poor cat is going to feel very betrayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BookNerd

Puss hasn't been seen in a few days. Am hoping he's found someone new to mind him or is off in the wild living his best life.....

And that he shows up again so we can get him/her sorted

• Advertisement

BookNerd wrote: »
    Puss hasn't been seen in a few days. Am hoping he's found someone new to mind him or is off in the wild living his best life.....

And that he shows up again so we can get him/her sorted

good luck! fingers crossed

Advertisement