Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on TV install in new house

Options
  • 15-07-2019 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on hooking up TV in a new house.
    I'm in a new build and there are 3 TV points/sockets around the house, in the sitting room, kitchen and upstairs.
    When we got broadband and TV providers out to connect us, they told us that the builders put the wrong cable from the junction box outside up into the attic. So the only way we could get Virgin TV and broadband was by them running cable around the perimeter of the house and drilling in through the sitting room and kitchen walls to bring the cable inside.
    It's unsightly but I'm looking for advice on whether an electrician could pull out the existing cable going up to the attic and put in the correct cable?
    I don't know yet what cable is actually there but it's obviously coaxial but I'm not sure of type.
    There's a Virgin media TV box in sitting room alongside wireless transmitter but when I see the large second box in the kitchen, which looks monstrous and ugly when wall mounted beside the TV, I was thinking there has to be a better way to do this.
    Is the norm here that these TV providers just need to connect up one main TV box, connect it into a TV point and that then makes the other TV points around the house "live"? This would mean that only a smaller box was required then where the other TVs are around the house, to allow remote to be used to select channels?
    Excuse my ignorance on this, I just don't want an ugly massive box at head height in my kitchen. This also could be an issue with Virgin only, as I see sky have pretty small compact multi room boxes.
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Gosh thats a complex question but you should have rang your electrician before the installers started. The box outside can you take pics? was the cable left hanging? Did electician know it was virgin you were going for? When an electricain lays cable on a new build they can do what they like. They can run cable before house is plastered instead of running ducting down the walls. This means you cant pull cable through afterwards.

If you got the cables run through ducting then its a doddle to pull through more cables as you can use existing cable as the pull cord. But I doubt it.

I dont know enough about virgin boxes but I do know sky do a box called skq q and all the extra boxes connect wirelessly.

Can you cancel and opt for sky? But then BB can be an issue.

Its a mess.

PS I should add that if you look at virgin UK they have a very neat box but when its available here......

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on hooking up TV in a new house.
    I'm in a new build and there are 3 TV points/sockets around the house, in the sitting room, kitchen and upstairs.
    When we got broadband and TV providers out to connect us, they told us that the builders put the wrong cable from the junction box outside up into the attic. So the only way we could get Virgin TV and broadband was by them running cable around the perimeter of the house and drilling in through the sitting room and kitchen walls to bring the cable inside.
    It's unsightly but I'm looking for advice on whether an electrician could pull out the existing cable going up to the attic and put in the correct cable?
    I don't know yet what cable is actually there but it's obviously coaxial but I'm not sure of type.
    There's a Virgin media TV box in sitting room alongside wireless transmitter but when I see the large second box in the kitchen, which looks monstrous and ugly when wall mounted beside the TV, I was thinking there has to be a better way to do this.
    Is the norm here that these TV providers just need to connect up one main TV box, connect it into a TV point and that then makes the other TV points around the house "live"? This would mean that only a smaller box was required then where the other TVs are around the house, to allow remote to be used to select channels?
    Excuse my ignorance on this, I just don't want an ugly massive box at head height in my kitchen. This also could be an issue with Virgin only, as I see sky have pretty small compact multi room boxes.
    Thanks for any advice.

Hi,
    I'm new on here so I cant post any images yet,
    Virgin media use RG6 cable it looks like coaxial cable but it's better shielded from 4G & 5G interference
    I've had virgin media cable routed inside my living room along the wall;
    I removed the skirting board and chipped back the plaster to hide the cables inside the skirting then smooth off using expanding foam prior to fitting skirting board again.

I cant post images here but if you go to Google
    Search: Lenny Living Room Project
    You will see my thread where I've documented everything to get the most out of your television installation aswell as the virgin media install process,
    I've spent alot of time and money doing everything correct first time I've reinstalled virgin myself using Belden cable anyway it's all documented there;
    Grab yourself a coffee and I hope you find it of interest
    Cheers ðŸ‘

Advertisement