Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I request the salary range prior to applying?

Options
  • 15-07-2019 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests there is a position I could be interested in. I am not actively looking for a new position but came across this job ad. Its not the same role I'm currently in but strongly related and I would be very qualified for it.

However on the job info the educational requirements are a bit lower than what I would already have attained, therefore I'm not sure if this position would offer a salary that would compete with or improve upon what I am already on... and i couldn't afford to take a cut!

Before going through the effort of a long winded application form i'd like to know the salary range... Is this ok to email and ask? Or would they think its cheeky and even if you went forward for interview hold it against you? (there's no recruiter involved however the contact is a HR person)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

It's better than wasting your time interviewing (and maybe being offered) a job that's 10k less than you get right now. I'd shoot off an e-mail and see what happens, it really should be listed by them to begin with anyway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Thats my point really...don't want to waste their time or mine..! Its seems for some reason in Ireland salary info is always kept back unless for a public sector job

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most places will just give you a "Salary based on expierence" on job specs, but once you get talking to someone they will give you a salary range without much bother, they'll probably give you full package details such as holidays, pension, health insurance, etc. etc., they don't want to waste their time with someone who won't take the job if offered because of the salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

You could always e-mail off a burner account in a different name if you're genuinely worried it'd stand against you, but I think it'd be fine. They have to anticipate some queries when they don't list even a salary range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

You are completely correct in what you want to do here, but I would not handle it via email, this sort of thing is handled much better over a call. Call them up, mention your concern openly. Asking most certainly will not stand against you, in fact I would see it as a positive in a candidate.

They may not give out the exact details, but what they will very often do is let you know if your currently salary is within their own ranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I don't think it's a good idea.

There's a protocol HR drones follow when hiring for a role.

Asking them for a salary range before interview may cause a malfunction.

Personally I would stick to the protocol...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Glassdoor will give you a rough idea on what the salary is. This of course depends on if it is a reasonable sized company etc. I hate going through interviews only to find out that the expected salary is a lot less. I believe that the interviewer will try sell you on the perks of the job as part of the interview.

It really doesn't make much sense for either party not to list the starting salary on the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Op here thanks for the replys - This is a small industry so the likes of glassdoor wouldn't really be a runner.

I decided the best course of action would be to ring as recommended! I spoke to someone in HR they couldn't find the salary details :D left a name and number and they are to come back to me... (only left first name and I suspect he took it down wrong anyway!)

I suspect it wont be offering a salary that would work for me... I would have far more experience than they are seeking but sure ill wait an see if they come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'd bring the conversation around to 'a competitive market offer' and stay along variations of that line during the conversation.

The company has a range they can offer, I'd push them to make the first move and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Doop wrote: »
    ... I would have far more experience than they are seeking...

This can also often work against you, in that they may worry that you will just see the position as a stepping-stone before something more suitable to your experience comes along. We are always very careful when taking on someone who is clearly over qualified, though that said we will do so if it can be argued well and you can make a convincing case that you are not going to run at the first chance when something comes up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement