Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy without the cow.

Options
  • 14-07-2019 6:24pm
    #1
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭


    You can now buy the prototype of this icecream in the US:

    vegan-plant-based-news-vegan-ice-cream-livekindly-1-1.jpg


    It's actual dairy icecream made in a lab, no cow involved - they grew casein, whey etc. Already sold out for now.
    I guess it's different in that they won't add cholesterol etc.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious


    "Milky chocolate? You can't call that milky chocolate! See you in court!" - The dairy industry.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lab-dairy-synthetic-whey-protein-gmo-20190711-story.html%3foutputType=amp


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda


    auspicious wrote: »
    "Milky chocolate? You can't call that milky chocolate! See you in court!" - The dairy industry.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lab-dairy-synthetic-whey-protein-gmo-20190711-story.html%3foutputType=amp

    No mention of that particular start up being told that anyone was seeing 'them in court' (sic) in that article etc

    Though tbh the linked article above does describes the issues fairly accurately tbh ..
    Rather than forgo the taste of real cheese and dairy for poor vegan substitutes, the pair decided to invent their own version of the real thing...


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious


    gozunda wrote: »
    No mention of that particular start up being told that anyone was seeing 'them in court' (sic) in that article etc

    Though tbh the linked article above does describes the issues fairly accurately tbh ..


    So you're in agreement; we can't wait until it graces our shores and inevitably gets sold out because it's such a fantastic product. Consumers in this current age of climate-awareness or climate-emergency if you like, and animal ethics, will be conscious enough to purchase a product which looks and tastes like the real deal, a product with a main constituent that uses 98% less water and 65% less energy than it would to extract the same constituent i.e. whey from cow.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda


    auspicious wrote: »
    So you're in agreement; we can't wait until it graces our shores and inevitably gets sold out because it's such a fantastic product. Consumers in this current age of climate-awareness or climate-emergency if you like, and animal ethics, will be conscious enough to purchase a product which looks and tastes like the real deal, a product with a main constituent that uses 98% less water and 65% less energy than it would to extract the same constituent i.e. whey from cow.

    Dont think you read what was written tbh. But anyway.

    Nope - presuming there are we? 'Fantastic product'(sic) - So we can assume you've bought and sampled it already and not just read the hype? You see none of that washes. "Stop" climate change by buying fake icecream from America? I dont think so somehow.

    Again looks like these companies have more pushing of highly processed foodstuffs simply because it carries a 'vegan' label and then suggesting that flying it halfway around the world as a salve for someones conscience, so as buying this type of highly processed stuff - somehow makes it environmentally friendly.

    If consumers are so climate and environmentally aware - the first thing they will be doing is stop being careless consumers by tackling the most important part of climate change ie the use of fossil fuels ie give up flying, stop buying unnecessary imported foodstuffs and othervcheap goods, stop / reduce their reliance transport and instead start buying their food locally from responsible and ethical producers with high welfare standard, looking at the bigger picture and forget about simply pushing products which match a belief system.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron


    Bill Gates: "If all the cattle in the world joined together to start their own country, they would be the third-largest emitter of greenhouse gases." (2018)

    Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss


    I would prefer 100 times more an factory made ice-cream that contains real ingredients over one that contains laboratory produced 'ingredients'.
    I'm not any sort of a scientist so perhaps this lab produced product is fine, but I have to say I like things real. Yes, I realise this is for Vegans and I'm not.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion


    klopparama these types of posts are not permitted, talk about the post, not the poster. Posts and replies deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 PainInTheArse


    Forget the ice cream ,we want the cheese


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭emaherx


    Worztron wrote: »
    Bill Gates: "If all the cattle in the world joined together to start their own country, they would be the third-largest emitter of greenhouse gases." (2018)


    Bill Gates is obviously an expert in cattle greenhouse gas emissions now? Or just based that on some claim in the usual nonsense report that was published and retracted over 10 years ago?


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion


    vUKd9xk.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭emaherx


    vUKd9xk.jpg

    Ah there is a picture that's proof. The average humans carbon footprint is about 20 metric tonnes per year. You think one cow even comes close to that?

    7 billion humans and 1.6 billion cattle.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire


    In the grand scheme of things, cattle ghg emissions are rather small compared to the other contributing factors.

    https://twitter.com/drsplace/status/1151979304064114688


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian


    Worztron wrote: »
    Bill Gates: "If all the cattle in the world joined together to start their own country, they would be the third-largest emitter of greenhouse gases." (2018)

    Bill gates was always a ruthless business hack, he destroyed many companies and the lives of their owners because he wanted a complete monopoly in his business.

    He’s backing vegan products because he sees the massive money to be made. He has zero credibility to speak on these issues.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    _Brian wrote: »
    Bill gates was always a ruthless business hack, he destroyed many companies and the lives of their owners because he wanted a complete monopoly in his business.

    He’s backing vegan products because he sees the massive money to be made. He has zero credibility to speak on these issues.

    So you’re saying one of the most successful humans to ever walk the planet is backing vegan products ?

    That sounds awesome to me. Thanks for brightening up my day.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion


    _Brian wrote: »
    Bill gates was always a ruthless business hack, he destroyed many companies and the lives of their owners because he wanted a complete monopoly in his business.

    He’s backing vegan products because he sees the massive money to be made. He has zero credibility to speak on these issues.
    Bill gates now is very to Bill Gates then, I imagine a lot of impact from his wife.
    emaherx wrote: »
    Ah there is a picture that's proof. The average humans carbon footprint is about 20 metric tonnes per year. You think one cow even comes close to that?

    7 billion humans and 1.6 billion cattle.

    The sources are along the bottom.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭emaherx




    The sources are along the bottom.

    No dates though. So before or after the UN admitted to their massive blunder in comparing cattle to other sectors?


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda


    So you’re saying one of the most successful humans to ever walk the planet is backing vegan products ?

    That sounds awesome to me. Thanks for brightening up my day.

    Successful at what? Making money?

    There are a lot more Influential humans which I would put above your friend there tbh ...


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian


    So you’re saying one of the most successful humans to ever walk the planet is backing vegan products ?

    That sounds awesome to me. Thanks for brightening up my day.

    It is.
    He sees vegans as weak manipulative prey to sell overprocessed muck to so he can add to his fortune. It’s wonderful news 🙄


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious


    _Brian wrote: »
    It is.
    He sees vegans as weak manipulative prey to sell overprocessed muck to so he can add to his fortune. It’s wonderful news 🙄

    You've been warned about posting that type of comment before.
    And actually, the only weak people around here are those who can't get over their dairy addiction, with all the inherent cruelty it entails.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron


    In the grand scheme of things, cattle ghg emissions are rather small compared to the other contributing factors.

    https://twitter.com/drsplace/status/1151979304064114688

    From her Twitter account: "Sustainability research for @beef farmers and ranchers."

    I'm sure there's no conflict of interest or bias there. :rolleyes:

    Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire


    Worztron wrote: »
    From her Twitter account: "Sustainability research for @beef farmers and ranchers."

    I'm sure there's no conflict of interest or bias there.




    Everything she posts is backed up by data, just like that one which is from research done by the EPA US.

    But no....it's much easier to dismiss content than read it sure :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian


    auspicious wrote: »
    You've been warned about posting that type of comment before.
    And actually, the only weak people around here are those who can't get over their dairy addiction, with all the inherent cruelty it entails.

    I didn’t say anything about anyone.
    I gave my interpretation of how a group of people are being seen by big business. I firmly believe industry are out to prey on what they see as a selection of society that buy a label and damn all else.
    If your not aware of how big business operates you should be educating yourself.

    If your a mod get off the fence and either give me a warning or not, if your not a mod then I thought back seat mod’s weren’t welcome on boards.


Advertisement