Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tasmania

• 14-07-2019 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

Got a decent offer for a farming job in smithton NW Tasmania, decent conditions, decent pay, room for progression, and a good employer. Im initially going for 6 months to cover my 3rd year visas regional requirements however sponsorship and long term employment were discussed, is it still the case of getting PR after two years in Tasmania?
    Also is anyone in Tasmania at the minute who could tell me what its like there? I know its rural apparently high unemployment and high drug addiction problems but is there much of a social life or even much irish there? I know theres a lot of kiwis in that area too which isnt too bad either. Ive also heard inbreeding isa big thing there too but the locals are lovely people all the same abd would an irish lad stick out like a sore thumb over there?
    Thanks in advance.

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

Got a decent offer for a farming job in smithton NW Tasmania, decent conditions, decent pay, room for progression, and a good employer. Im initially going for 6 months to cover my 3rd year visas regional requirements however sponsorship and long term employment were discussed, is it still the case of getting PR after two years in Tasmania? Also is anyone in Tasmania at the minute who could tell me what its like there? I know its rural apparently high unemployment and high drug addiction problems but is there much of a social life or even much irish there? I know theres a lot of kiwis in that area too which isnt too bad either. Ive also heard inbreeding isa big thing there too but the locals are lovely people all the same abd would an irish lad stick out like a sore thumb over there? Thanks in advance.

Saputo is it? I was actually in Tasmania at the weekend, only got as far west as Derwent Bridge. Very much reminded me of home, rolling green hills, fresh air and absolutely freezing. Cant speak about visa details but I didnt see any anti social carry on. Kiwis on the whole are decent folks too, you wont stick out as long as you dont go acting the mick.
    Although your very rural there are plenty of flights along the north coast to Melbourne. As long as you can cope with the quiet rural lifestyle - there is literally bugger all going on in the cities let alone rural parts - then you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

I live NW TAS..originally from Tipp. Im there 4 years. Very same as Ireland. Just fantastic.
    Green grass, hills, rain , friendly people. Yes inbreeding years ago, its a bit of a joke from non tasmanians. You will be fine. Its an hour to Launceston from Melbourne by air.
    Hobart is couple hours drive from Launceston, expensive and cold.
    Avoid the boat over, its 12 hours to Devonport. Often rough seas.
    NW has loads of dairy and sheep farms. Mostly family based. Can be clickish.
    Bring plenty of clothes over from the mainland for going out. The style and range is bit expensive.
    I stock up in Dunnes when im back in Ireland,.
    People are lovely. Much friendlier than mainland.
    Loads of people arriving every day from the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Tasmania is lovely. I've only been there to Launceston briefly looking to make a move there from Sydney. It is very much like Ireland with the landscape and scenery.

There is lower employment and lower wages there. It's a slower way of life and its my goal to make the move out there in the near future.

Advertisement