Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Comic Panels

Options
  • 13-07-2019 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Plenty of comics from 50s onward have stuff intended innocently that reads strangely now or the story is just bizarre. Thought people might get a laugh.

hyrkqn.jpg

oEG0DQ.png

xsJ0Vo.png

WU4UKe.jpg

me2S04.jpg

oRNTaW.jpg

YsxQz2.jpg

v4JFCh.jpg

lZPMEL.jpg

A9bRDq.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are you 100% sure they were intended innocently? Maybe the writers were being a bit nod and wink knowing the references would go over the heads of the average reader...

I read an article about Polari, which was a quasi-language used as a secret code by gays in England when that was illegal... there was a BBC Radio comedy series called Round the Horne in the 1960s which used some of the words mixed with English and Polari wasn't much use after that as a secret code :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I only got two or three of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure they were intended innocently? Maybe the writers were being a bit nod and wink knowing the references would go over the heads of the average reader...
    Funnily most are genuinely innocent. Some of the early Wonder Woman bondage stuff isn't, although still shocking it got past the strict comic censors at the time who were too innocent themselves to cop it.

xE22Ae4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nuyil simp

Mock the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Fourier wrote: »
    Funnily most are genuinely innocent. Some of the early Wonder Woman bondage stuff isn't, although still shocking it got past the strict comic censors at the time who were too innocent themselves to cop it.

Indeed. Wonder Woman's creator William Moulton Marston was a pretty kinky dude. An ardent feminist in a polyamorous relationship that was deeply into bondage and threw sex parties.

Fun fact, he also invented and designed the polygraph test, or lie detector. That along with his other peccadilloes makes you look at Wonder Woman's 'lasso of truth' in a whole new light....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Damn it you posted all the good ones!

Damn it you posted all the good ones!

Not quite....

enhanced-8875-1401395902-2.jpg?downsize=700%3A%2A&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto

odyssey06 wrote: »

I read an article about Polari, which was a quasi-language used as a secret code by gays in England when that was illegal... there was a BBC Radio comedy series called Round the Horne in the 1960s which used some of the words mixed with English and Polari wasn't much use after that as a secret code :)

I think you're...err...reading too much into things...

bd9bd353cdefe172f784cda4fc4699b9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Jaysus yeah, that one is outrageous!

Kv0D6s.jpg

JPowrs.png

ZbNlLZ.jpg

8geKji.jpg

Vs9pgN.jpg

17b7w6.jpg

pGg3Ic.jpg

eg3VLT.jpg

JxNUh4.jpg

7ZHD0F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Somewhere Red Skull's wife and kids are sitting weeks later saying "He said he was just going out to get more murder"

I posted this before. Not panels, but page, just because of their ignorance of where they were set
    https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111114806/3296120-2196032824-26820.jpg

Superman lands in an oil field in Ireland (which is in Europe, in case you didn't know). He then proceeds to blow up the oil field while trying to defeat the bad guy. And this explains why we no longer have oil fields, I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement