Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commuter towns and getting into dublin by 5:30 AM

Options
  • 13-07-2019 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

I'll cut to the chase, this is a bus-related question, I'm currently looking for a property in commuter towns around Dublin, any town works really, as long as I can get into Dublin by 5:30 AM, that's when I start work.

I was looking at Google Maps and was quite shocked at how late buses arrive into Dublin city centre, for example from Swords and Bray the earliest I can be in the centre is 6:15 AM.

Would appreciate your help with this, I'm sure some of you know the bus routes better,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jeez that's fierce early.

Looks like jjkavanagh could do ya for pick-ups on some of their routes:
    Naas - Dublin City - Dublin Airport
    https://jjkavanagh.ie/timetable-detail-page/?RouteNo=737&IsWeb=1&IsCollegeRoute=0&Direction=0&RGrp=Main%20Routes%20%20Airport%20Routes
    So that'd be leaving Naas around 05:00 to 05:10

then
    Waterford - Carlow - Dublin City - Dublin Airport
    https://jjkavanagh.ie/timetable-detail-page/?RouteNo=736&IsWeb=1&IsCollegeRoute=0&Direction=0&RGrp=Main%20Routes%20%20Airport%20Routes
    that'd be leaving:
    • Waterford - :eek: around either 01:15 to 01:35 or 02:45 to 03:00 (arrive 10mins late)
    • Paulstown - :eek: around either 02:15 or 03:40 (arrive 10mins late)
    • Carlow - :eek: around either 02:30 to 02:35 or 03:55 to 04:00 (arrive 10mins late)
    • Castledermot - :eek: around 02:50

The thoughts of people having to commute from 01:15 from Waterford! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

City link has pick ups in kinnegad/enfield that will get you in to the city centre for 4:35.

https://www.citylink.ie/timetables

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Wouldn't exactly be a common starting time. If you don't drive, a commuter town doesn't suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

https://www.dublincoach.ie/services/dublin-coach-journey-planner.php

From Naas/ Kildare etc. Have to change at red Cow Luas for city centre however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What the feck do you do?! I didn't think there was much mining for farming going on in Dublin City Centre! :pac:

• Advertisement

An unholy hour to be out of bed! I’m afraid the only way to make such a torturous start time manageable from anywhere is by buying a car. It’s totally unsustainable on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Are you buying or did you hit the wrong option by accident.....

Reason I ask is that a house is such a long time commitment purchase wise to have its location influenced by the random start time of a job you might not have in a few years.

I've no idea what it is you do but I'd be thinking.......

1) can you negotiate better terms with your employer - is it a role you can do from home for example.

2) are there other roles you can go for in your line of work with better hours.

3) would want to be one hell of a career opportunity to have the location of the house you could be paying for over 25 years dictated by a 3 to 4 am bus availability.

My apologies if you aren't buying

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

For your sake can you reassure us that this would be a temporary situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 0_0

Thanks for the replies, Dublin Coach from Kildare 4:35 is in Dublin at 5:30, that's grand

• Advertisement

I drive but good luck finding a free parking space in the centre.
    In the next 5-10 years I'm definitely sticking to this job yes, and not something that one can do from home, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

The 109a arrives at Busaras for 5:15am

At a glance it goes Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne, Coolquay, Dublin Airport, 3 Arena, Custom House, Busaras
    Would any of those places suit suit to commute from?

https://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=Dublin&form-view-timetables-to=Kells&form-view-timetables-route=&form-view-timetables-submit=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Dublin Bus say that they're rolling out 24-hour buses, starting with the 41 from Swords.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-is-getting-its-first-24-hour-bus-service-4654087-May2019/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am realy intrigued as to what you do that is in the city centre, starts at 5:30am and that you need public transport to get to :-)
    Since it's at 5:30, you have your pick of carparking spaces.Would it be an option to drive, park outside the centre somewhere (for example there is a large free surface carpark at Whitehall), and either cycle or walk the rest of the way??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

0_0 wrote:
    I drive but good luck finding a free parking space in the centre. In the next 5-10 years I'm definitely sticking to this job yes, and not something that one can do from home, unfortunately

I hate to be a Negatron but you'll be burnt out within three years doing that. It'd be a nightmare even in a car. I did Tullow-Dublin for years and started at 7am and believe me, it took its toll. And that was driving door to door.

shesty wrote: »
    I am realy intrigued as to what you do that is in the city centre, starts at 5:30am and that you need public transport to get to :-)
    Since it's at 5:30, you have your pick of carparking spaces.Would it be an option to drive, park outside the centre somewhere (for example there is a large free surface carpark at Whitehall), and either cycle or walk the rest of the way??

I'd rather use the bus to be honest, than drive at this hour, besides paying for NCT, service, petrol, insurance (wonderful prices), is way too much.

Also, I'm used to waking up at 5:10 currently as I rent in the city centre, so if a bus from Kildare/Swords leaves at 4:35, mean's I wake up an hour earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wow, it's such a massive commitment to make when you will be overly reliant on a skeleton service. If the bus gets stuck behind an accident or has a mechanical issue or for some reason doesn't arrive, you are really screwed.

I currently get busses from North Kildare at 7AM. The busses are really rubbish at that hour as it's before the real rush hour and express busses begin and there's a significant gap also. It's extremely frustrating if one is messed up and you're waiting 20 minutes for another. We are moving soon and I can't wait as new location has much higher frequency service.

Relying on a barely existing service is my idea of hell. Could you maybe have a look at some short term leases first in areas you would consider buying in based on their bus service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The only job I can think of where you would happily commit to a 5-10 year timeline and a 5.30 start is a trading role but then again what kind of trader balks at the idea of paying tax and NCT for a car? Very intrigued as to what it is you do OP.

I also echo the above sentiments, you'll be burned out in not even two years. That simply is not a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You could also be snookered if the bus company decides to change the route or timetable, you would being making a big investment based on a route which could be alterered at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

He's happy. Leave him alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Car. Rent a space off someone. That's the only way. It's any way sustainable. Be straightforward to drive round town at that hour - there'd be no traffic sure

Relying on a single bus route is a huge problem which I'm definitely very concerned about and hence thinking of more options

Thanks a lot for all your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

0_0 wrote: »
    I'd rather use the bus to be honest, than drive at this hour, besides paying for NCT, service, petrol, insurance (wonderful prices), is way too much.

Also, I'm used to waking up at 5:10 currently as I rent in the city centre, so if a bus from Kildare/Swords leaves at 4:35, mean's I wake up an hour earlier.

Would you get a motorbike? Near guarenteened journey times and no hassle with parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A baker?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Plenty of jobs:
    Baker, chef /restaurateur, hotel staff, working in early morning radio,

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Looly8726

I commuted from Kinnegad to Dublin for a few years. The earlier you can go the better. I started at 6.30 some mornings and could be in within 35/40 mins. I drove when I had parking but got bus otherwise. Bus would take slightly longer. Very early busses usually go to the airport and are extremely reliable. Obviously a better quality of life working close to home but plenty of people do commute. Funny so many people are amazed by a 5.30am start, you seem used to it OP. Would you try renting somewhere for a while to give you a taste of what it would be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Bus Eireann 100X from Drogheda at 4am & 5am
    Straight down the M1 - journey time 45mins

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭slystallone

Is there anywhere that lays out all the 24 hour routes in a summary rather than having to trawl through each route on the Timetable section on their website?

• Advertisement
Advertisement