Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've Mastered AI, Now to Master BMI

Options
  • 13-07-2019 3:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭

From a former running "career", some PBs

Marathon: 4:06:39 (DCM 2015)
    Half-Marathon: 1:40:05 (DCM-HM 20115)
    10-Miles: 1:14:23 (August 2015)
    10K: 46:10 (March 2015)
    5K: 21:29 )July 2015)

The 2015 Dublin marathon was my last race.

I was targeting DCM 2016 and the race series leading up to it but my daughter, newly born in May 2016, was very seriously ill so I missed several months of training (she's fine now).

Then I went back at it for a while but motivation was low because I had decided to do a 2-year part-time masters in machine learning at a Dublin university starting in in September 2017. When I knew I wouldn't have time to keep training once I started that, I just started losing interest.

I finished that Masters just last Wednesday. July 10th. While doing the masters, and working, and with a young family, I have been sleep deprived for the last 2 years and got very used to drinking sugary drinks late at night to keep me going. So the weight has gone back up to 14 stone 10 lbs - I was at 11st 10Ibs or something like that around 2015 - I had been improving so much that year even though I got DCM a little wrong tactically. I was never super quick, but got quicker than I thought I would get!

Now that I have my life back, I want my health back - not necessarily to target any marathon - although that could change, but not for a long time. Not interested in the thoughts of a marathon All I want for the moment is to get back to running a 10K in under 50 minutes if I can. But I am a million miles away. My main motivation is for my clothes for 3-4 years ago to fit me again and t not feel like a big heap of ****e and to get fit for my children - doing a maters is seriously bad for your health when you're finishing it at the age of 45!

I had a log here under a previous username
    I thought I would go again to help with focus - I might abandon it

My first run was Thursday evening, July 11th. All I wanted to do was run 2 miles without stopping. I did it, and in a time of 23:30. Now, 42 odd hours later and I am still more sore than I was 42 hours after the 2015 DCM. But it's a start and that first run is always the hardest to go out and do!

Long way to go

Pray for me

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Still at it - runs are only at 3 miles and taking 32-33 minutes but not concerned about pace at the moment. I was so sore after the first 2 mile run, it was 5 days before I did a second one. But I was fine and increased to 3 miles after that. I'll do a couple more 3 milers and nudge it up to 4 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Tea Shock wrote: »
    Still at it - runs are only at 3 miles and taking 32-33 minutes but not concerned about pace at the moment. I was so sore after the first 2 mile run, it was 5 days before I did a second one. But I was fine and increased to 3 miles after that. I'll do a couple more 3 milers and nudge it up to 4 then.

Don’t worry about pace. The slower the better for training runs. I could possibly race a 5k in 27/28 minutes at the moment, but in training, I cover that distance in about 38 minutes. Keep at the 3milers for now and when introducing a 4th mile, maybe just do so for one run a week.

Advertisement