Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cheek of them - infuriating job ad

Options
  • 12-07-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen many a cheeky ad where employers try it on...but this one takes the biscuit. It annoyed me so much, I had to share.

So here's this company (name and location redacted) looking for someone with proven work experience in:
    - buying/planning
    - Intrastat and Vies
    - quality control

the usual skills in
    - general admin
    - negotiating/communicating
    - IT

and to top it all off they'd like them to have a bachelors degree

And what are they offering?

The grand sum of 20 k / year

20 miserly grand per year...that's minimum wage lads...minimum wage for doing three qualified jobs in one.

They have no shame to put this up.

ad attached below

Now...this job is located in an area that isn't brimming with opportunities, a long commute away from the nearest bigger town and nowhere near the main employment hubs.

Some poor local f*cker will probably have to go for this, negotiate a 10% pay rise right from the start, be proud of his/her negotiating skill and be stuck in an underpaid/overworked job for years until they can't take it no more.

Comments

I think your fellow mod Your Face has a better attitude. I won't cross post links.

Upskill and Up Sticks to further pastures I'm thinking very much meself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would you care to explain what seems to be the matter with my attitude?

...... Wut?

/unfollow

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a junior admin job with data entry being the main responsibility. Education is preferred not required. And it's only min wage if you actually work 40 hours per week - most places don't. 20k sounds a smidge low, but only a smidge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It is asking a lot for 20k a year I think. The job duties aren't too bad, but the requirements are a bit OTT for such a low salary which isn't far off minimum wage.

Saw a financial job recently myself that listed fluent French and English, as well as a business degree, as a requirement... the remuneration was €10 p/h. What's that, 20c above minimum wage?

You see such job postings all the time really.

• Advertisement

It's a junior admin job with data entry being the main responsibility. Education is preferred not required. And it's only min wage if you actually work 40 hours per week - most places don't. 20k sounds a smidge low, but only a smidge.

I don't think you read the ad ...so here it is again for your benefit
    485093.JPG

I don't see where you get the mainly data entry bit from, also the education is also listed under requirements as well as preferred ..plus it's advertised as a full time job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

its' ****in shocking **** OP - I fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

This is a very basic entry level job if you actually read the duties and disregard the waffle. You make sure their is enough stock on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    This is a very basic entry level job if you actually read the duties and disregard the waffle. You make sure their is enough stock on the shelves.

A 'basic' entry level job that requires a degree to stock shelves !! Maybe I'm completely out of touch, but I thought if someone went to the trouble of going to college and getting a degree, would deserve a tad more than minimum wage.
    There was a time that 'stocking shelves' was for people who left school early with little education. So, either the stocking of shelves has become more complex, or those people who did it with no education, were in fact far more intelligent than their college degree owing counterparts.
    The fact is, employers are quite happy to offer minimum wage for almost anything these days, intelligence, education or skill level notwithstanding.

You make sure their is enough stock on the shelves.

Nope

This
    https://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=746357b67d4eba92&q=stock&l=Ireland&tk=1dfjm07tc1455003&from=web&vjs=3
    is a job where you make sure there is enough stock on the shelves ...and it pays €11/hour or 22.8k/year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

youll see crap job postings all the time.
    we may not be in a recession per se, but this country isnt doing as good as the govt would like to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. Order stuff based on our build-up numbers. Count the stuff that arrives. Get the lads to test it. Enter the results into a spreadsheet. Put it away in the right place. Type numbers from the invoice into a couple of websites. Do other admin stuff when we tell ya.

Would be nice I'd you have a degree (sic) from an IT but not essential.

Basic admin job. Worth probably 22-24k in most locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I've yet to see a job ad for any min wage dead end job that doesn't specify 'fast-paced environment'.

When it's a good job they never feel the need to say that. Only the low paid ones. 'Must be hardworking but also enjoy being poor.' would be more honest.

Where are the ads that for the 'chill-out pace work environment' jobs? They would suit me much better and at least the pay would be fair.

And when it's data entry type of crap any lack of a fast pace is usually due to being given some ancient piece of junk computer to work on, not the ability of the worker to type stuff in.

Indeed. Order stuff based on our build-up numbers. Count the stuff that arrives. Get the lads to test it. Enter the results into a spreadsheet. Put it away in the right place. Type numbers from the invoice into a couple of websites. Do other admin stuff when we tell ya.

Would be nice I'd you have a degree (sic) from an IT but not essential.

Basic admin job. Worth probably 22-24k in most locations.

I read that slightly differently: (I'll try and stick with your tone :D)

Forecast supply and demand to prevent overstocking and running out-of-stock
    Be prepared to get chewed out of it if we carry too much stock...running out of stock means a public flogging

Coordinate monthly stock take and reconciliation of stock.
    Try to get the lads to do a proper count this time...end up doing it yourself, on your bloody own

Liaise with warehouse staff and other internal teams to test products’ quality
    Try to get the lads to check the stuff properly this time...end up doing it yourself, on your bloody own
    Over seeing quality control
    if it turns out it's useless, it's your fault

Proven work experience as a Stock Controller, Inventory Manager or similar role
    You'd better know what you're at laddy...because we haven't got the time to show you

Proven work experience with Intrastat and Vies
    Don't **** it up with revenue for us..we're in enough trouble with them as it is

Active participation in inventory audits
    The figures better be right...or your head on a platter

Experience in quality control such as ISO quality assurance procedures
    head, platter...need we say more?

basic admin, me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

You are totally right re requiring a degree for this and for the small salary

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

peasant wrote: »
    Now...this job is located in an area that isn't brimming with opportunities, a long commute away from the nearest bigger town and nowhere near the main employment hubs.
    Supply and demand. Not many jobs, but lots of people means that someone will use this as a stepping stone. Heck, I'd say this became available because the last person left.

Someone with a PLC course would probably get the job.

=-=

Looking at this from another angle; they're seeing how little they have to pay someone. The agency I worked under did this during the crash; they reduced the pay level by €500 every 6 months, so I was on €1000 more than someone else who started a year after me. It went down to €18,500 at the time, and then back up to €19,000 when they didn't get anyone.

If no-one bites, they raise the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

Just seen this today. It must be a typo. Qualified accountant . 28 to 35k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The wage does seem low but if this job is in an area with few opportunities, it's an employers market. They know people will apply.

Personally if I was 21 years old and unemployed I'd probably apply and try to get a raise or move to a better role in 6 months.

the_syco wrote: »
    Looking at this from another angle; they're seeing how little they have to pay someone. The agency I worked under did this during the crash; they reduced the pay level by €500 every 6 months, so I was on €1000 more than someone else who started a year after me. It went down to €18,500 at the time, and then back up to €19,000 when they didn't get anyone.

If no-one bites, they raise the pay.

Well...the ad's been updated today...no more mention of money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I have 40+ years experience in what I do. A lot of it is actually not relevant as 'tech' has replaced some what I do, however, when things go wrong, the stuff I know soon proves it's worth.
    In my 'trade' there are 3 distinct areas which make the whole function. Over the years, these have become muddled, and now you have a situation where employers have 'merged' the 3 aspects, and now expect one person to do all three.
    A few years back I grew tired of the daily commute, which I'd been doing for 20+ years, so I looked for something closer to home.
    I found something ideal, not 15 mins away by car.
    Initially I took the job on the basis that I would perform ONE of the 3 tasks required, and was assured that staff would be employed to cover the other 2.
    After a period of close on a year, as I juggled the different areas, on a salary of a single one, I had enough, and decided to 'retire'.
    40 years working is enough, I've paid my dues, time to relax.
    So far, my 'replacements' have lasted 4 and 2 months respectively. I even got a call asking would I be interested in a 'part time' situation till they found someone suitable.
    I checked the job listing they have, and not only have the 3 areas been 'morphed' into one, a kind of hybrid miss match, the pay has actually dropped from what I was getting... and by a considerable margin.
    Seems to be a trend these days, almost a semi permanent 'gig' type thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Well...the ad's been updated today...no more mention of money :D

I think the ad was better before... at least they were being honest about their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I read that slightly differently: (I'll try and stick with your tone :D)

Forecast supply and demand to prevent overstocking and running out-of-stock
    Be prepared to get chewed out of it if we carry too much stock...running out of stock means a public flogging

Coordinate monthly stock take and reconciliation of stock.
    Try to get the lads to do a proper count this time...end up doing it yourself, on your bloody own

Liaise with warehouse staff and other internal teams to test products’ quality
    Try to get the lads to check the stuff properly this time...end up doing it yourself, on your bloody own
    Over seeing quality control
    if it turns out it's useless, it's your fault

Proven work experience as a Stock Controller, Inventory Manager or similar role
    You'd better know what you're at laddy...because we haven't got the time to show you

Proven work experience with Intrastat and Vies
    Don't **** it up with revenue for us..we're in enough trouble with them as it is

Active participation in inventory audits
    The figures better be right...or your head on a platter

Experience in quality control such as ISO quality assurance procedures
    head, platter...need we say more?

basic admin, me arse

I worked for a wholesalers once and your description of what their day to day working lives is is absolutely spot on. The guy there was doing just fine IMO but he got chewed out everyday, had to check all the stock himself and got chewed out everyday. He was on more than the asking price in your advertised job but I'd want even more for the level of chewing involved

Advertisement