Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

'Times' or 'Times By'

Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Curious Scot

When reading multiplication of numbers aloud, do you say "X Times Y" or "X Times by Y"?
    I have noticed that the latter is used a lot in Countdown.

Personally, I would say "X Times Y".

'X Times Y' or 'X Times by Y'? 5 votes

Times
    60% 3 votes
    Times by
    40% 2 votes

Comments

• For me, "times" all day long. I've done a good few online tutorials (with a mathematical element) over the years (with English tutors) and almost to a man / woman they say "times by". I thought it sounded odd, but I used "divided by" when talking about division, or sometimes I say "multiplied by" when talking about multiplication, so who am I to judge? :)

• Times is grammatically correct - 6 times 4 is another way of saying 6, 4 times, either way it is 24. 'Times by' doesn't work, but 'multiplied by' does. They are different parts of speech. In the same way you could not say 6 multiplied 4, it has to be 'multiplied by'.

• I agree, but "times" seems to have crept into usage in the classroom as a verb (as in, you "times" something by something else). Good luck putting that genie back in the bottle.

I'm pretty sure in India, they say "X into Y" when multiplying X by Y - now that just seems odd!

• I either use "X" times "Y", or "X" (multiplied) by "Y".

• X times Y - yes
    X multiplied by Y - yes
    X by Y - yes
    X times by Y - Nooooooooooo!

• Advertisement

• X times Y - yes
    X multiplied by Y - yes
    X by Y - yes
    X times by Y - Nooooooooooo!

It's a pity that they don't do it on Countdown!

Advertisement