Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Google Sheets

Options
  • 11-07-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hope I'm in the right section with this query.

I have a Google Sheets spreadsheet that lists transactions of money in and out of an account on given dates with a running balance.

What I would like to do is to is extract all the transactions (rows) of money from one source and have appear on another sheet so I can get a total from that source. Is there a way from programming this to happen automatically as I add to the sheet? I realise I could click the top of the column to arrange everything alphabetically and find them that way, but I have no easy way of getting them back into chronological order, I only put the date in once if there were multiple transactions on one day.

I think what I'm after is function to do with a database but I have very limited to no understanding of how databases work. I've also learnt Google Sheets from trial and error and online guides so my understanding and terminology of that might be a bit off too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Bit hard to follow what you're saying there. Is it two different tabs on the one file or two seperate files you're working with?

From what I understand, you've got on sheet 1:

Date Amount Balance
    1/1/19 20 100
    1/1/19 30 130
    2/1/19 50 180

And you want them to automatically copy to Sheet 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I think you are looking for Grouping and Subtotals.

Advertisement