Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog in garden

Options
  • 11-07-2019 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

So a hedgehog strolled into my kitchen the other evening. And has made a few appearances at the back door since.
    But today he was out during the day which apparently isn't good. It seems in good health and moves very fast..
    I also read that if it is a mother it could come our during the day anything to look out for to make sure it isn't in need of help? Was going to go to the pet shop tomorrow Nd get some food for it..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Harpy wrote: »
    So a hedgehog strolled into my kitchen the other evening. And has made a few appearances at the back door since.
    But today he was out during the day which apparently isn't good. It seems in good health and moves very fast..
    I also read that if it is a mother it could come our during the day anything to look out for to make sure it isn't in need of help? Was going to go to the pet shop tomorrow Nd get some food for it..

It’s been really dry here. Little saucer of water wouldn’t do any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

That's great! Haven't seen a hedgehog for years - a live one I mean.
    I used to wonder if knocking holes in suburban boundary walls would attract them to the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we've had a few. theyre georgeous. can have fleas though ive read somewhere:(

they eat cat food. love their little faces:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on where you live, you might be able to get hedgehog specific food. e.g. there's a garden centre in sandymount which sells hedgehog dry food (not much different from dry dog food, but some of the money goes to hedgehog rescue dublin).
    but if leaving out dry food, don't forget to leave out water as mentioned in the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

You can add a takeaway service for the hedgehog. Dig up a little patch of garden add a little bit of leaf/mulch as coverage and keep it watered to bring up worms. Add a little pile of twigs and small branches at the back of a hedge for bugs. Etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

That's great I'll try all of the above.. I'm in limerick. There's a lot of plants and bushes and random places with wood so there's loads of places for him to go so not sure which part he's coming from he was outside the back door last night and put on some shoes and when I came out again he was gone so he's a fast mover.. the dog has taking to bark at him but hasn't touched him so just try keep her in the house when I see him around.. I'll try get some food today after work I'll let ye know if he becomes a permanent resident or gets sick of the dog barking and leaves..

Photos requested. (Don't forget to turn off the flash.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Photos requested. (Don't forget to turn off the flash.)

No offence intended but I would say to just leave him/her as undisturbed as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

They love the dry food we put out for the feral cats. Last time I saw one out during the day it was in a terrible state and had to be put out of it's misery. :(

No offence intended but I would say to just leave him/her as undisturbed as possible.

Agreed. But if he's at the back door or strolling into the kitchen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Make sure there are no big containers of water! Buckets or watering cans that have filled up with water!
    We had one in our back garden for ages, but he drowned! Everyone was gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Make sure there are no big containers of water! Buckets or watering cans that have filled up with water!

That's so sad! Yes good advice always use shallow saucers, nothing deep. they love wet cat food too. Don't disturb them incase they have young :)

Yeah I've put out a plate of water for it.. and got some hedgehog food which he ate some of thursday night..and got some wet cat food for it last night and left it out but no sign of him last night.. hopefully he hasn't abandoned us already I was getting fond of him.. I've ordered a garden camera off Amazon so might set up a feeding station and put the camera next to it to see if he comes back.. after reading up on them online I'd love to have them start come into the garden for food if they're around seems like they're in decline.. it's a nice garden for them nice and pick with lots of random shrub areas and some piles of wood so hopefully he continues his random visits.

Keep in mind that this hedgehog is most likely ranging far beyond your garden every night. They will easily cover 3km a night.

Am I able to post pics when replying from phone? Don't see an option

Keep in mind that this hedgehog is most likely ranging far beyond your garden every night. They will easily cover 3km a night.

Yeah was thinking that we've seen him maybe 4 nights over the last week. The first night he came right into the sitting room.. and then at about 4 that morning the dog was barking like mad so went down.. and our back door is fully glass.. the hedgehog was just outside looking in at the dog.. I'm still slightly worried about seeing him out during the day one of the days, but he seems to be getting around no bother and he ate some of the food I left out two nights ago..

Daisy 55 wrote: »

Oh there might be some containers and pots that have filled with water.. I'll go check now and empty them out if there is, thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I would give wildlife rescue a quick call and ask them their opinion if you have any concerns but don't disturb it obviously:) Would he run away if you opened your back door for example?

Generally wild animals would stay away from people and dogs but maybe he couldn't see the dog in the reflection if of the glass if there was an outside light on?

We had one that used to come to the back door but it wasn't able to see us through the door glass. But if it caught any movement it would run off, they are super fast :D

No the last night he curled into a ball but then again I had opened the door to let the dog out. So he probably curled when he saw her coming at him and once I saw he was there I just through the dog back inside and when I went out again there was no sign of him so he obviously bolted when he got the chance..

Yeah I was quite surprised at house fast he was trotted along the grass the other night he was scooting along, I always imagined them to be slow movers.

Seeing a hedgehog occasionally during the day is not a cause for concern nor a reason to contact any rescue. It is not unheard of for them to be out in daylight in July. If the hog is active, and in no obvious distress, then don't worry about it. Out most of the day every day, in daylight, in the one small area is a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Kinda wish this was a show I could watch on tv :)

I’ve only ever once seen a hedgehog. In the middle of a housing estate. And I was worried cos there wasn’t much natural wild green spaces around at all.

Keep up the great work op.

Love the image of him looking in the window at your dog :) mine would be going mental :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Make sure none of your your family/neighbours put down slug pellets if possible.

Attached article may be of some help as well.

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/helping-hedgehog/

Murt10 wrote: »
    Make sure none of your your family/neighbours put down slug pellets if possible.

Haven't seen him the last few nights. Got a nature camera that I'm gonna put out tonight with some food and water and see what appears..

Murt10 wrote: »

Don't use slug pellets at all, use a trap or barrier method if needed.
    Slug pellets kill dogs and cats (even small children) who ingest them. Even walking on them is a danger as the animal is picking up the chemical which they lick off.

Am I able to post pics when replying from phone? Don't see an option

Its a bit late but typing [IMG][/img]>location of image < should work

I think he's abandoned us.. haven't seen him since lThursday.. I got the nature camera so have put it up by the back gate in the hope that's he's still visiting but just later on in the night.. really hope he comes back..I was getting attached to him. I'll try leave out some cat food tomorrow night to see if it tempts him or any friends back..

I think he's abandoned us.. haven't seen him since lThursday.. I got the nature camera so have put it up by the back gate in the hope that's he's still visiting but just later on in the night.. really hope he comes back..I was getting attached to him. I'll try leave out some cat food tomorrow night to see if it tempts him or any friends back..

They come and go in many gardens and, particularly at this time of year. Their home range can be up to 20 hectare.
    He'll be around again for sure, at some stage.

Also, typical of any wildlife to move on as soon as you set a camera up.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They are incredibly intelligent.
    I gave one a saucer of milk and snails that drowned in cider he ate the snails drank the milk the to get the rest he stood on one side of the saucer to get the remaining milk to pool up and consolidate on one edge and remained standing on it until it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭threetrees

Seriously? Slugs that drowned in cider and milk? For one, hedgehogs are allergic to dairy so water is a much better option. I can't imagine cider infused slugs are much good either.

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    They are incredibly intelligent.
    I gave one a saucer of milk and snails that drowned in cider he ate the snails drank the milk the to get the rest he stood on one side of the saucer to get the remaining milk to pool up and consolidate on one edge and remained standing on it until it was gone.

Please, do not give milk to hedgehogs as they are lactose intolerant. I don't know where this foolhardy practice came from but it needs to be stopped. Also, the cider will not have do any hedgehog any good either.

Advertisement