Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notification to SPC connect when outside PIR activate?

Options
  • 10-07-2019 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Notification to SPC connect when outside PIR activate?

I'm changing to SPC5330 and would like to know if I can get a notification to SPC connect or even a SMS to mobile if any of my external PIR activate.

I understand I can relay the PIR's through a expansion board to get the signal into the SPC panel.

But I don't want the alarm to ring - I only wish to use it to detect an intruder as they approach the house - get notified - if it works right then perhaps turn on lights at night and ring a klaxon during the day.

I've looked at the Cause and Effect rules - but haven't seen this example.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

One would be to put the into a separate area. Say area 2 (it can be named to whatever you want) and arm area 2.
    Change the bells from SYS to area one. Now if area 2 alarm you will get a notification on the keypad and on your app via push notifications & email.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was literally only thinking a few days ago, that it would be great if you could add outdoor PIR's to smart alarm systems, so that when triggered, it doesn't activate a full alarm, but instead would do something like:

- Turn on external spotlights
    - Send you a notification
    - Activate external camera recording
    - Activate an external speaker that says something like: "beep, beep, alarm is active and cameras are monitoring"
    - Could optional do a bing, bing on the alarm panel inside the house

Enough to perhaps frighten an intruder off, but not set the who system off for what might turn out to be the postman.

I was thinking this, because this week I was just setting up a Philips Hue external smart spotlight on my patio, linked to a Hue motion detector. Works really well, when someone steps onto the patio the light pops on.

I also have a smart alarm system and IP cameras covering the same patio. Technically if those companies worked together, it wouldn't be hard for them all to do some clever stuff like this.

Unfortunately we are still at the early days of home automation integration like this.

It is a pity that the Irish home alarm system market seems to lack options in general for external PIR's, curtain PIR's, etc. They seem like a decent addition. I know it is possible on very expensive systems, but it doesn't seem to be advertised much if at all here, unlike the US where it is very common.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Once you get the outdoor PiR back to an alarm zone (remember this could be to an expander etc) you would have lots of options to switch outputs or the likes of a Sonoff device to talk to Home Automation systems.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KoolKid wrote: »
    Once you get the outdoor PiR back to an alarm zone (remember this could be to an expander etc) you would have lots of options to switch outputs or the likes of a Sonoff device to talk to Home Automation systems.

Sure, but it is all much easier if done in software at the API level IMO.

For instance my Yale Alarm is linked to my Philips Hue lights at the API level. If the alarm goes off, all the Hue lights, both indoor and out start flashing red. It turns the whole house into a massive SAAB :D

If that I had both systems already, it took just 30 seconds to link both in the Yale app and it just worked.

It is early days yet, but hopefully we will see a lot more of this sort of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lr335mpg

Thanks BK and Koolkid again.

I originally considered wiring the lights and PIRs to a Siemens S7-1215. Writing some function blocks to do independent PIR to LIGHT switching. Then add AnybusX gateway to bring in network data from the SPC panel ... Status and events possibly. I'm comfortable with the PLC and interface side but without a SPC panel I'm not sure how much data I can map to.

BK did you setup a Windows or Linux PC to act as a links gateway between alarm and lights? Or how did you host the API interface?

• Advertisement

Easier is always better. It's coming I'd say. Some manufacturers are working on wireless relays etc that could be added to the panel as a zone and an output. This would give you cause and effect to do loads.

lr335mpg wrote: »
    BK did you setup a Windows or Linux PC to act as a links gateway between alarm and lights? Or how did you host the API interface?

No, my Yale Alarm system has official support for Philips Hue smart lights. You just link it in the Yale app, it works over the "cloud". Very easy and nice setup.

If you want local control, then Home Assistant seems to be the best. Can run on a RaspberryPi, Linux, Windows, etc.

Advertisement