Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camagnolo Zonda bearing replacement question

Options
  • 10-07-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out without removing the hub what type of bearings the rear wheel might have? Is it loose or cartridge? The wheels were bought in 2016 so I think the previous model to whats being sold now. (shimano freehub).

Also anyone recommend a reasonable quote to get these replaced? My regular bike shop is quoting me 80 euro (which might be standard, I dont know)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I bought mine in 2014 I think and this year had bearings replaced. Looking at the work order from the bike shop the bearings may have been these. Work order states "Wheel bearing 6803 sealed".

It seemed to cost €45 for the bearings + labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I bought mine in 2014 I think and this year had bearings replaced. Looking at the work order from the bike shop the bearings may have been these. Work order states "Wheel bearing 6803 sealed".

It seemed to cost €45 for the bearings + labour.

cheers,

did you only get the rear replaced? I guess the difference in my quote must be the quality of the bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Cartridge. Remember too that there are four bearings in the rear: 2 in the wheelhub and another 2 in the freehub, perhaps that is part of the cause of the difference, but €40 to fit them isnt unreasonable in any case.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Cartridge. Remember too that there are four bearings in the rear: 2 in the wheelhub and another 2 in the freehub, perhaps that is part of the cause of the difference, but €40 to fit them isnt unreasonable in any case.

Possibly, I should have asked what bearings were being fitted because searching online I can find bearings at 3-4 euro each such as those below. I know the bricks and mortar need to be paid for but at the same time I want to make sure I'm paying a fair & reasonable price.

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/campagnolo-hub-cartridge-bearings-4-pack-EV201618

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

jon1981 wrote: »
    cheers,

did you only get the rear replaced? I guess the difference in my quote must be the quality of the bearings.

Yes just the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is it the hub or the freehub body that needs new bearings?

At €80 it sounds like the may be replacing the whole freehub body
    https://www.rosebikes.com/campagnolo-9-10-11-speed-freehub-body-for-shimano-cassettes-739505

tuxy wrote: »
    Is it the hub or the freehub body that needs new bearings?

At €80 it sounds like the may be replacing the whole freehub body
    https://www.rosebikes.com/campagnolo-9-10-11-speed-freehub-body-for-shimano-cassettes-739505

Just the bearing replacement was quoted. At that price might be cheaper and easier just to replace the freehub!! :D

I think I'd looking at the price for a cheap bearing press

The bearings are an industry standard item and not a campag specific part, so they are not expensive. That said, there are a number of 'grades' if I recall, but I dont think you'll notice much difference between them. The key here is having the tool to remove the old bearing; you can easily make the tool to install the new ones. It's not a hard job once you have these, depending on your basic DIY capabilities...., but €60-70 for a mechanic to do, and warranty, the job isnt too bad, IMO. €80 might be pushing it............shop around?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The bearings are an industry standard item and not a campag specific part, so they are not expensive. That said, there are a number of 'grades' if I recall, but I dont think you'll notice much difference between them. The key here is having the tool to remove the old bearing; you can easily make the tool to install the new ones. It's not a hard job once you have these, depending on your basic DIY capabilities...., but €60-70 for a mechanic to do, and warranty, the job isnt too bad, IMO. €80 might be pushing it............shop around?

Agreed ... if in doubt, get your LBS to do it. Money well spent IMO.

I think the Key is knowing that the drive side cup on campag wheels is left hand tread! ;)

Ive replaced bearings in campag wheels (Sirocco 35mm). Yes its easy enough, even without a bearing press (just use the old bearings to push the new ones into place). it was the L.H tread that almost caught me out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Slightly off topic, but since the answer to this may be a simple "Yes" i'll ask.

Are Fulcrum Racing Quattro axles/freehubs the same design as Campag Sirocco axles/Freehubs?

(Don't want to make the same mistake with the Quattros that i made with the sirocco's! :) )

Another completely off topic question but if it can cost up to €80 for 2 cartridge bearings to be replaced. What would be the going rate for a rear wheel rebuild these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

The hub (front and rear) bearings are cup and cone with the bearings themselves coming in a nylon bearing race. Only the low end Campagnolo wheels take sealed bearings. Zonda up to Bora use cup & cone and traditional bearings. I’ll send a link to replacement ones later.

Replacing these is a15 minute job unless the cups or cones are worn and then you’ll need a special tool to remove and replace the cups.

The free hub takes two sealed bearings - I’ll post a link to these later too. A bit more difficult to replace these and most people just replace the free hub for c€60.

Wouldn't a completely new freehub body for €50 not come with a 12 month warranty and be much better value than just getting the bearings replaced?

letape wrote: »
    The hub (front and rear) bearings are cup and cone with the bearings themselves coming in a nylon bearing race. Only the low end Campagnolo wheels take sealed bearings. Zonda up to Bora use cup & cone and traditional bearings. I’ll send a link to replacement ones later.

Replacing these is a15 minute job unless the cups or cones are worn and then you’ll need a special tool to remove and replace the cups.

The free hub takes two sealed bearings - I’ll post a link to these later too. A bit more difficult to replace these and most people just replace the free hub for c€60.

Doh! Of course they are......cup and cone. All my recent woes have all been with a pair of de-stickered Scirocco wheels and I got completely confused with the previous reference to sealed bearings. Sorry for the mis-direction. Cup and Cone are so much easier to work on at home.......

Doh! Of course they are......cup and cone. All my recent woes have all been with a pair of de-stickered Scirocco wheels and I got completely confused with the previous reference to sealed bearings. Sorry for the mis-direction. Cup and Cone are so much easier to work on at home.......

So they are cup and cone bearings? From googling other sources it does appear to be cartridge like you said.

How to service the hub

How to service the freehub body

How to service the hub

How to service the freehub body

Saw that, I wouldn't have the tools. I guess if I was to expect many bearing changes it would be worth the investment.

Yes if the freehub body needs new cartridge bearing then you would need a bearing press. There may be a guide somewhere on making your own from cheap parts from a hardware store.

It looks like all you need is a set of hex keys to service the cup and cone bearings from the main hub.

So they are cup and cone bearings? From googling other sources it does appear to be cartridge like you said.

They’re not - only the freehub is

• Advertisement

Is the problem with the hub or freehub?

These are the hub bearings:

https://www.rosebikes.ie/campagnolo-ball-bearing-ring-for-record-hubs-289898

Cheaper than I have seen them for before. You’ll need two for front and two for rear hub. I have bought them from Ribble in the UK before. From memory same size for front and rear. Campagnolo part number is: HB-RE023.

Freehub bearings are 6803_2RS (will need 2). Available from Chainreaction cycles for a few € - but much more difficult to fit.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/s?q=brand-x+sealed+bearing+-+6803+2rs+bearing&cat=product

I've got a set in the past from this guy on Adverts: https://www.adverts.ie/bike-wheels/campagnolo-fulcrum-bearings/6324840

He's absolutely a sound guy to deal with, will fit them too if you are nearby, AND you'll be sorted for €30 it seems......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've got a set in the past from this guy on Adverts: https://www.adverts.ie/bike-wheels/campagnolo-fulcrum-bearings/6324840

He's absolutely a sound guy to deal with, will fit them too if you are nearby, AND you'll be sorted for €30 it seems......

+1 on that.

But, this does not include the cones,which are also subject to wear.

Is the problem with the hub or freehub?

No idea, just was told the bearings are rough. There is a rough sound from the rear wheel only when i turn the crank. It sounds smooth when the wheel is spinning freely.

I guess that could imply the hub?!

No idea, just was told the bearings are rough. There is a rough sound from the rear wheel only when i turn the crank. It sounds smooth when the wheel is spinning freely.

I guess that could imply the hub?!

Yeah that sounds right to me. If you source the parts online and follow the video all you need is the following tools. All very cheap tools to buy and will come in handy for other jobs. Then follow the instructions in the video.

Adjustable spanner
    x2 5mm Hex key
    Degreaser
    Grease
    Flathead screw driver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yeah that sounds right to me. If you source the parts online and follow the video all you need is the following tools. All very cheap tools to buy and will come in handy for other jobs. Then follow the instructions in the video.

Adjustable spanner
    x2 5mm Hex key
    Degreaser
    Grease
    Flathead screw driver

+ chain whip
    cassette remover tool.

No need to remove the cassette when replacing the rear hub bearings. The cassette and freehub will just stay on the axle while you replace the bearings. Only need to remove the cassette and freehub if you are replacing the cones.

Personally when I service my own hubs I take everything apart and clean everything down - but it’s not necessary.

Finally got around to doing this. Pushed into it by a long wait list with the LBS. Went smooth enough albeit with alot of attention to ensure the right metal bits went back in the right places in the right order :D

I was glad I bought a freehub and not just the hub bearings because the freehub body pawls fell apart when I removed it from the wheel.

Definitely sounds alot better when I spin it up! I guess I'll know how good a job I did (or didn't) when I take it out for a spin! Thanks for all the advice on this thread, I used all of it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement