Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I crazy to buy a ten year old Volvo v70? Any other recommendations?

Options
  • 10-07-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I am looking up change car in the next few months, I need something bigger than my current fiesta and I think an estate car will suit me perfectly. My budget is 5k

It seems I can get a decent mileage mk2 V70 in my budget that has everything I want. Which is a petrol engine, 6 speed manual (or auto), cruise control and bluetooth phone.

I have an irrational love for Volvos. My Dad sold them for years so I grew up in them, especially the V70.

Is it a terrible idea to pursue this any further? Would I be getting myself into a whole world of trouble if I get one? From what I can gather they are the most reliable car. I may be better off getting something like an Octavia estate or Focus estate, but they just don't excite me as much as the Volvo and are rarely as well equipped.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It sounds like the least crazy car purchase one could possibly make. Always had a soft spot for them. I'd have thought finding petrol ones would be somewhat difficult post 2008, but there's a few on donedeal so maybe not so much. I presume it's the 2.0 petrol you're looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Yeah it's the 2 litre petrol I'm looking at. Never been a big fan of diesel. I am mostly driving around Dublin with the odd long journey for work. The three main things I need are a big car for carrying equipment (Estate or SUV) petrol engine and good on long journeys.

I love Volvo's, I really do. But I am just worried that I would buy one and it's cost me a fortune to repair when it goes wrong and I'll hate myself for not buying something more reliable like a Honda or Toyota etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Obviously a 2008 on cc tax is much better than a 2009 on Co2 rate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The heart wants what the heart wants

Go buy a Volvo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

An 08 / 09 Petrol V70 is going to be the FlexiFuel 2 Litre non-turbo. 09 models are cheap as chips as the tax is €1,200 a year on them. Most were registered before 30th June 2008 though and there should be a few of them floating around.

Engine has just about adequate power - coming from a Fiesta it should be OK. Not a rocketship by any means, but 140ps will allow adequate performance.

Engine should be OK to last years and do high mileage. Pretty sure it's the Ford unit in that car - supposed to have a 10k service interval on Flexi-Fuel models so worth checking any service history.

Electronics seem to be the issues with older Volvo's - niggly ones rather than anything major, but Volvo's are not cheap to service or maintain.

Also - it is a huge car with a poor turning circle. Very difficult to pilot around car parks - had a 2010 diesel one as the family car for a few months and parking, especially in multi-story car parks was a PITA. Did what a big Volvo is supposed to do and kept everyone safe in the accident that caused €17,000 of damage and wrote it off - not a scratch on anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Weve a 2012 diesel with 230k miles on it, bulletproof, keep the services coming, 2.0 dsl 5cylinder is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

roguey wrote: »
    I am looking up change car in the next few months, I need something bigger than my current fiesta and I think an estate car will suit me perfectly. My budget is 5k

It seems I can get a decent mileage mk2 V70 in my budget that has everything I want. Which is a petrol engine, 6 speed manual (or auto), cruise control and bluetooth phone.

I have an irrational love for Volvos. My Dad sold them for years so I grew up in them, especially the V70.

Is it a terrible idea to pursue this any further? Would I be getting myself into a whole world of trouble if I get one? From what I can gather they are the most reliable car. I may be better off getting something like an Octavia estate or Focus estate, but they just don't excite me as much as the Volvo and are rarely as well equipped.

Not a bit crazy but not sure about spending 5k on it. Just bought a 09 Vauxhall insignia, 2lt 6 gears Bluetooth etc for 1.8k. It is diesel alright but a beautiful motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

roguey wrote: »

Go for it, I have had an 02 S60 2.0 petrol, 04 S80 Petrol, currently a 13 V70 auto, love the three of them, I have had some Passat, Insignia , Vectra, Mazda 6, in between the first 2 volvos. Love the V70 I have now, auto a little sore on juice but worth it imo. I see a D5 for 5K on Donedeal, that would be a great car , you should give it a spin if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Absolutely I have a 2004 V70 and I absolutely LOVE it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

If the awd sys gives trouble, be a mess, big engine heavy road tax, looks fab tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€1034 tax kinda kills it.

Advertisement