Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi in Laytown

• 09-07-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. We're in the process of buying in Laytown, love the look of the area and think it'll be a half decent place to bring up kids.

I can see they're building an Aldi on the seafront there - just wondered what peoples thoughts are as to whether it's a good or bad thing really?

We'll be just down the road from it (walking distance) I think it'll see an increase in traffic but in the same breath it'll put a bit of new life in to the village which probably won't be a bad thing.

Would now be a bad time to commit to Laytown or would the introduction of the supermarket help the area in the years to come? I liked the villages smaller charm / feel so torn on this.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Unfortunately Aldi & Lidl manage to infiltrate every small village at some stage.

Laytown is a great spot and this won't take away from it. Lot of rejections to the planning due to the location in the seafront and the fact all trucks will now have to come via Bettystown (past all the schools) but nothing can be done now. Won't take away from Laytown in the long run.

Best bus and train links to Dublin in the North East also. Very little if any anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CDW2019

Unfortunately Aldi & Lidl manage to infiltrate every small village at some stage.

Laytown is a great spot and this won't take away from it. Lot of rejections to the planning due to the location in the seafront and the fact all trucks will now have to come via Bettystown (past all the schools) but nothing can be done now. Won't take away from Laytown in the long run.

Best bus and train links to Dublin in the North East also. Very little if any anti social behaviour.

Thank you - really appreciate this, it's helped put me at ease. It's a new area for me, bit of an unknown but it seems to be a very solid place to go to and you're absolutely right, ultimately these places do tend to get in and at least it's something affordable too (we'd always go to Aldi when we can as it's that much cheaper).

Ultimately I hope it will be a positive for the area, they don't tend to make these decisions lightly (especially one that's been in limbo for this long and with appeals hanging over it) so fingers crossed it's a positive for all involved.

Thank you for your reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Laytown/Bettystown is a lovely area to raise kids. My two, who are now teenagers love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

Is Aldi open yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

horse7 wrote: »
    Is Aldi open yet?

Twitter says the 6th of February in places.
    The leaflet say January 23rd!

• Advertisement

So is it open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭nc6000

It opens on Thursday.

This Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭gipi

Thursday 6th February

nc6000 wrote: »
    It opens on Thursday.

You mean Thursday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭nc6000

horse7 wrote: »
    You mean Thursday week.

Yes, apologies. I'm sure we got a leaflet in with the wrong date.

So is it open?

Advertisement