Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pouring Guinness from a can

Options
  • 09-07-2019 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

I know to some people this may seem quiet a simple thing to do, but every time I try and pour a refrigerated can of Guinness draught I end up with a flat pint. I never get the surge, or the wonderful creamy head. I'm just wondering what must I be doing wrong?

I open it on a flat surface, leave it for 6 seconds, tilt the glass then begin to pour gently, that's what every video on You Tube says to do aswell, but the Guinness is pretty much lifeless, and doesn't even fill to the top either. It tastes flat and not nice at all, and what little head I get is gone half way down.

However if I open the can and turn it entirely upside down, I get the surge and the creamy head, but from what I know this is not the way to do it.

Anyone encounter a similar problem? Or is turning the can directly upside down the way it's done now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Crack it open...pssssst, upside down straight away into the bottom of the glass, and raise it as it fills keeping the can out of the stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Crack it open...pssssst, upside down straight away into the bottom of the glass, and raise it as it fills keeping the can out of the stout.

So directly upside down is the right way after all?

I thought after the psssst you had to wait a few seconds then tilt the pint glass and pour slowly like in the pubs. They must have changed how the widget ball inside the can works it seems.
    Directly upside down seems the only way to get that surge and creamy head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I always pour it as fast as possible...always get a head.

This is a video from the Master Brewer himself. I've tried this way exactly and it simply doesn't work. Glad to see others turn it directly upside down and pour it as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I pour immediately also but find it can still be hit or miss ar regards how good the head is and the pint in general. If the liquid comes out light brown and creamy youre in business, but I find it can turn black very quickly and that just winds up flat and uninspiring.

Even draught guinness can be inconsistent I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Far be it from me to accuse anybody of low housekeeping standards, but one possible problem is that the glass may not be clean and free of detergent residue from the last wash. Very difficult to get any kind of a head in a glass to which even a trace of detergent clings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

if the nitro doesn't work from a can

just use a small syringe (like from a kids medicine bottle) and suck some liquid and shoot it back into the glass as fast as possible

works a treat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Write to Guinness. They'll send you a case :P

This is a video of the directly upside down method, however if you read the comments section underneath you would think it was a scandal. :D

The most liked comment at the top says:

'No no no no no no no no no NO!

I can tell you right now that if you come to Ireland and try to pour someone a pint using this method, YOU WILL be deported immediately'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Conas wrote: »
    So directly upside down is the right way after all?

Yes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I've been getting consistently great cans of Guinness the last year! I reckon something has changed, as prior to that, Guinness cans poured into a glass were always muck and only a decent head 10% of the time. Some cans were that good over Christmas I was even drinking them directly from the can!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

The most important thing I find is the Temperature. If I crack it open straight from the fridge, often the gas doesn't release properly from the widget, no pssttt. Whereas if I leave it out for 15 mins they work way better, then pour straight away.

I actually don't even put them in the fridge any more, they're in a cool store room at the side of the house, good pint every time

famagusta wrote: »
    The most important thing I find is the Temperature. If I crack it open straight from the fridge, often the gas doesn't release properly from the widget, no pssttt. Whereas if I leave it out for 15 mins they work way better, then pour straight away.

I actually don't even put them in the fridge any more, they're in a cool store room at the side of the house, good pint every time

This is actually true. If you leave it out at room temperature you get the surge, and the head and it's not flat if you do the tilt pour.

The problem with that during the summer is it's too warm, and you really need a nice cold pint this time of year. There nothing nice about a room temperature Guinness. To be honest I couldn't drink a non-refrigerated can of it. I'd have to switch to lager otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Guess im the only one that shakes the can before opening

Place glass in kitchen sink, shake can, open with right hand, cover top of can with left hand, then upside down into glass

works great every time.

bonus points if you place the glass in the freezer for 15 minutes before using

Its quite simple

Open can

Put clean glass on top of it, (reverse to how you would drink it)

Turn upside down

Let it fill untill it fills nor more.

Pull can up, untill it meets top of the liquid

Turn glass to about 45 degress

Fill 3/4s

let settle and finish, preferably with the spout under the the cream till last second.

Then pint

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is a video from the Master Brewer himself. I've tried this way exactly and it simply doesn't work. Glad to see others turn it directly upside down and pour it as quickly as possible.

Always worked perfectly fine for me. Perfect head every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You have to be really careful. There's an hugely variable alchemy afoot and if you do it wrong, it's a 'bad pint'. Tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This is a video of the directly upside down method, however if you read the comments section underneath you would think it was a scandal. :D

The most liked comment at the top says:

'No no no no no no no no no NO!

I can tell you right now that if you come to Ireland and try to pour someone a pint using this method, YOU WILL be deported immediately'.

I'm going to do this in front of the father in law who is a fervent Guinness fan and see if I can get divorced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'm going to do this in front of the father in law who is a fervent Guinness fan and see if I can get divorced.

I notice that that video ends before we see a settled pint. ;)

Advertisement