Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road To Dublin starts in central Manchester...

Options
  • 07-07-2019 11:08pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Me yet again... And yet another DCM log. Managed to nab a spot on 1 July and really looking forward to it.

The basics... 35 (wat), mum of 2 toddlers, work full time as a software developer. Originally from Dublin, lived in London for 5 years and now living in south Manchester. Member of Chorlton Runners (you might remember us from things like this), I've run 6 marathons before (Dublin 2009 and 2010, Barcelona 2011, London 2017 and 2019, Manchester 2019) and I'm also registered for Manchester half in October and full in April 2020. I was the mentor for the novices group 9 years ago while I was finishing my masters thesis.

Issues? I'm carrying a lot of baby weight after 2 kids in 3 years and haven't lost it. I've managed to stay mostly healthy in the past few years apart from low iron late last year. My kids are in full time nursery and they bring home an absolute smorgasbord of bugs.

I don't usually follow plans because I don't have much wiggle room during the week. I train as 3 run commutes midweek, Saturday parkrun and club run on Sunday which gets miles added to it to make a proper LSR. I live around 6.5km from the office but have alternative routes to stretch it to anything up to around 16km.

Goals?
    A - 4:30 (unlikely)
    B - 4:45
    C - 4:51:08 (beat Manchester time)
    D - 5:19:39 (don't run my slowest ever marathon)
    E - just finish!

So some training...

Mon - rest day

Tues - 6.5km (6:27/km) run home from work

Wed - 11.5km (6:40/km) extended run commute - too fecking hot but had to be done, the other half was in London this weekend for the Night of the 10000m PBs so no club run.

Thurs - 4km (6:35/km) run to nursery for pickup

Fri - rest day

Sat (am) - 8.3km (first 3.3 @ 6:44/km, then 6:20/km) with the double buggy, run from Chorlton to Platt Fields Park and then pace 32 minutes at South Manchester parkrun. First Saturday of the month is my club's pacer day. I usually do 31-35 minute slots. I was a little fast for my slot, but got at least four people new PBs so that's a job done!

Sat (pm) - 4.5km (6:51/km) with the double buggy to make solo double toddler bedtime a bit easier. It half worked, sleepy 17 month old when I got home but 3 year old was still resolutely chattering away.

Sun - 5.5km (6:46/km) at Sale Water Park with the double buggy. Stopped so the boys could watch two guys arsing around on jetskis and explained how they work to my 3 year old.

40.2km for the week, pretty happy with that overall without a defined weekend LSR.

5k race on Thursday evening this week (Sale Sizzler #2) so will be taking it handy on Tues and Wed.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Monday - rest day

Tuesday - 6.5km (6:36/km) run commute home from work in light rain. I've had to HTFU a bit about my wet weather running, I used to always wuss out of it, but in Manchester it's an absolute necessity (probably rains as much as it does in Limerick). Was fine anyway, managed to get home before they decided to cancel the cricket for the day at Old Trafford and unleash the India fans!

We're getting a new running double later this week, C has pretty much completely outgrown the Out n About double and is a very tight fit in it now at 3 years 3 months! We're getting a secondhand BOB double.

Wed - planned 10km... fell heavily 200m from my house after starting my run :mad: Knee, elbow and hand grazed.

Thurs - skipped my race, had a thumping headache and was still a bit stiff from the fall.

Fri - 8km (6:31/km) through Sale Water Park, the path along the Mersey and Chorlton Water Park. Pretty much one of the club routes in reverse minus the warm-up lap! Enjoyed it and legs were feeling less crap as the run went on.

Saturday - Blackpool parkrun with the new double buggy, 5km in 31:54. Sneaky hill on the course that I had to walk on each lap because the buggy is a tank and so are my kids! :eek:

Sunday - long run, mostly with the club, planned around 16-18km. Stopped at 14.5 (6:44/km) - the humidity was an absolute killer and I've changed a medication in the last week which has the rather "helpful" side effect of making me sweat even more :mad:

Not my week at all, but feck it :pac:

Advertisement