Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At a crossroads

Options
  • 07-07-2019 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

I qualified in a small practice, and then moved onto a pensions firm where I do management accounts for directors, deal with central bank returns, do staff payroll, look after creditors/debtors etc.

I feel like I want to move away from the office 9-5 stuck-to-computer accountant role.

I need a new challenge. Has anybody here gotten their qualification and taken a different route? I am lost about where I can go next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,108 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Go do some audit for a big 4 firm, not much 9-5 and plenty of travel in that! :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Go do some audit for a big 4 firm, not much 9-5 and plenty of travel in that! :D

Might be 9am-5am though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

I qualified in a small practice, and then moved onto a pensions firm where I do management accounts for directors, deal with central bank returns, do staff payroll, look after creditors/debtors etc.

I feel like I want to move away from the office 9-5 stuck-to-computer accountant role.

I need a new challenge. Has anybody here gotten their qualification and taken a different route? I am lost about where I can go next.

Mp l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

numorouno wrote: »
    Mp l

??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And about as boring as watching point dry.

• Advertisement

numorouno wrote: »
    Mp l

Run for parliament.....

No one can tell you what is right for you, only you can decide that. Best think I can suggest is to choose something you are passionate about, it is a lot easier go to work each day if you enjoy most aspects of what you do.

In my case I resigned the spring after I qualified at a big 4 to spend the summer climbing in the Swiss Alps, that was over 25 years ago and I have not practiced as an accountant since, nor held down a permanent job either for that matter. As the climbing season came to an end that summer I got involved with a couple of Swiss guys in writing financial software, it was supposed to be only for the winter until the next climbing season opened up, but life happened - I got to do a lot of other interesting projects and never returned to Ireland as originally planned.

It worked out well for me because I was always interested in computing. Even in college, outside of the commerce lectures, most of my time was spent hanging out with the geeks in the computer labs. Of course that was at the start of the PC age, so there was lots of cool stuff to explore and most of us were self thought in any case.

Advertisement