Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Espresso & cappuccino makers - What do they actually do?

Options
  • 07-07-2019 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im trying to improve the coffee situation in our house - I'd love a bean to cup machine. Not filter anymore.

Ive noticed a lot of the machines are called Expresso and Cappuchino - will these actually make an Americano (mug of coffee) without having to press the button about 3 times?

We got a new machine at work, and I've to press it three times for a mug of coffee. Im not an expresso person so just wondering what options are there.

I know Im asking how long is a piece of string - so rough budget is €200-300.

Appreciate any tips. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Americano is diluted espresso
    Cappuccino is double espresso with steamed milk foam and milk
    All types of coffee start as espresso

Have you links of any machines you like. Under 200 would definetly get one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Interesting fact: Americano got it's name from when the American GIs in Europe during and after WW2 used to water down espresso to make it more like their traditional filter coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Interesting fact: Americano got it's name from when the American GIs in Europe during and after WW2 used to water down espresso to make it more like their traditional filter coffee.

+1 I was in a small village in Italy in the 1980s and ordered an Americano. The lady delivered a tray to my table on which was an espresso in the little cup, an empty mug and a jug of hot water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 I was in a small village in Italy in the 1980s and ordered an Americano. The lady delivered a tray to my table on which was an espresso in the little cup, an empty mug and a jug of hot water.
    That's actually a nice idea, I know if cafes tried it here though, you'd hear no end of complaints from customers who write off anything unfamiliar as 'hipster'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

coylemj wrote: »

She should have mixed Campari, Punt e Mes and SAN Pellegrino for you. (Although James Bond preferred speedier.). That would have been a true Americans.

A friend once asked for a latte in a cafe in Florence and received a glass of milk. Understandable for the Italians.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

If you hang on until amazon black Friday you could probably get a machine within your budget that would cost double or more in the shops here.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

Marcusm wrote: »
    She should have mixed Campari, Punt e Mes and SAN Pellegrino for you. (Although James Bond preferred speedier.). That would have been a true Americans.

A friend once asked for a latte in a cafe in Florence and received a glass of milk. Understandable for the Italians.

I did the very same in Italy. When I ordered they asked they asked did I want it hot or cold. I thought it was a strange question until the glass of milk arrived

Advertisement