Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debian 10 Buster Released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Worztron

Looking forward to moving to Debian 10 Buster from Debian 9 Stretch in the coming days. 🐧

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Please seed if you download via a torrent. https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/bt-dvd/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

It's good to see that LXDE is still an option. I love that for my ancient laptops. :-) https://betanews.com/2019/07/07/debian-ten-buster-linux

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

2 annoying thing about it i found.. synaptic is launched now as synaptic-pkexec and if you change stretch sources to buster then stable dont forget to remove the stretch repos from synaptic as it tends to hold onto them. other than that its great

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

How does downloading and finding software packages in Debian compare to Ubuntu or a Ubuntu based distro?

Ubuntu repos are based off debian right so is everything that is in Ubuntu repos in debian repos?
    and what if it is not is there an equivalent of launchpad PPA's for debian ?

• Advertisement

Keplar240B wrote: »
    How does downloading and finding software packages in Debian compare to Ubuntu or a Ubuntu based distro?

Ubuntu repos are based off debian right so is everything that is in Ubuntu repos in debian repos?
    and what if it is not is there an equivalent of launchpad PPA's for debian ?
    Hi Keplar240B.
    Installing regular games and software in Debian is just as easy as in Ubuntu - I like to use the Synaptic Package Manager. Installing drivers can be easier in Ubuntu with their driver managers. Most programs in Debian are in Ubuntu but Ubuntu can have their own programs that are not on Debian. The number of packages in the Debian repos is massive and should be enough for most folk.

a few debian & ubuntu things to remember

ubuntu can use ppas but theyre not recommened on debian.. use a .deb file (with gdebi) an appimage or install from source for anything not in synaptic (check out sourceforge or github).
    synaptic is the package manager of choice on debian, its not as straight forward as ubuntu software center but its great once you learn how it works
    debian doesnt include non-free software by default, you have to edit those repos yourself at /etc/apt/source.list . on ubuntu you add ubuntu-restricted-extras package and it usually takes care of it or add firmware for things like wifi and graphics chipsets.

overall debian requires more work to setup but its generally more stable unless you go with the testing/sid branches, ubuntu tends to use more up to date software from the start but can be buggy at times.

funny enough, i had to reset raspbian on my pi3 earlier and on next update it switched from stretch to buster. might be worth trying if you have one

Advertisement