Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen Skin

Options
  • 07-07-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Any recommendations for a 14 year old with spots (not sure if its acne), they are pretty bad and on her chest and back as well. She is using cerave cleanser and The ordinary salicyclic acid but no improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

She probably has acne, bring her to the doctor to get a prescription as its the only way they will be cleared up, over the counter products wont work on hormonal acne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yep, bring her to the doctor.

The products you've listed are grand if you get the occasional spot, but if its on her back and chest that sounds like acne. There is no reason to live with acne in this day and age, just get it sorted.

Being frank, I had to fight wtih my mother as a teen to be put on treatment for my acne. Having acne as a teen is soul destroying and massively impacted my confidence. My mother is very anti taking "unnecessary" medication but to be honest I think even with the benefit of hindsight she made the wrong call back then. Ultimately I did get it sorted but still have some scarring to this day which was avoidable. Why would you put your child through this? My skin will never be perfect becuase of the years acne that wasnt properly addressed.

Now I love my mother and she was an excellent parent, but IMO she got this one badly wrong. She never had problems with her skin and I just don't think she appreciated how much it bothered me and secondly, how long lasting the effects can be. It wasn't until I was about 14/15 and stood up for myself that I got proper treatment rather than over the counter stuff and various homeopathetic treatments. A girl in my class in school came back from summer holidays with perfect skin having previously been quite spotty. I got the name of what she was on and wouldnt let it go until I got to go to the doctor to ask for the same. My skin cleared up in a matter of weeks but the scarring/skin texture issues take a lot longer to heal, if ever.

Advertisement