Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing donations to asylum seekers

Options
  • 05-07-2019 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

I came across this story earlier and want to see if others know the full story here.
    Upon reading it, it appears the state, after uprooting refugee applicants out of Dublin, into situations where members of the public are requested to bring toiletry products.
    What kind of a set up is that? There is a mountain of money spend by the department of justice on refugee services.
    Surely to God they are not sending them to hotels to wait for charity.

I would be ashamed if this were true but I can't believe that it is. I genuinely do not believe the state would send refugees to a hotel and not arrange for the hotel to provide adequate sanitary services and products. Surely a full itemisation of expected services is agreed first.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/429224/up-to-30asylum-seekers-relocated-from-dublin-to-limerick-city-hotel.html

The hotel is not named either, conveniently.

Then you have public rep wannabes getting involved, like this fool
    wrote:
    Green Party councillor Sean Hartigan arrived at the hotel at around 9pm after he saw a post on social media about the matter.

“I’d be following Masi and Doras Luimni and issues to do with people in Direct Provision and I have been concerned about it for a long time. When I saw that there was 20 people here in the [hotel] I came out here very quick because I wanted to find out what the situation was,”

And do what...?

I'd be shocked if the state was not putting in place provision for sanitary care when providing accommodation to people seeking refuge.

Anyone in the know on here can comment, is this really what is happening, the public are expected too bring in charity because the state is not doing what it is supposed to be doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You know people are under no obligation to donate, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You know people are under no obligation to donate, right?

That wasn’t the OP’s point. Their point is this -

I genuinely do not believe the state would send refugees to a hotel and not arrange for the hotel to provide adequate sanitary services and products. Surely a full itemisation of expected services is agreed first.

@OP did you even read the article you provided?

The Reception and Integration Agency (RIA) of this Department has a legal duty to protect the identities of persons in the international protection process and must be mindful of the right to privacy of applicants when responding to specific queries. For this reason, the Department cannot confirm the names of the hotels or guesthouses being used. RIA is liaising closely with service providers such as the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and the HSE to ensure that residents’ needs are always met.”

Then you have public rep wannabes getting involved, like this fool

And do what...?

That public rep wannabe is in a good position to help that particular family. I’m glad he’s got involved as opposed to some of the other local public representatives who had their faces plastered all over lamp posts a few weeks ago, wouldn’t take their thumbs out of their collective asses now to help anyone but themselves.

Yes, they’re asking for donations from the public, because all organisations involved have gotten themselves in something of a bureaucratic mess.

Advertisement