Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Newbridge

Options
  • 05-07-2019 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

Looking at moving to Newbridge. Saw a house in 'The Oaks' that looks really nice. I read articles that there is a flooding issue there, possibly resolved now as the articles were old. Saw another one about anti social activity to do with teenagers assaulting people!

I would be looking to commute to Dublin some days also if anyone would have advice on that?

Could anyone give me any tips about the estate please! Or about Newbridge in general.
    Would really appreciate the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

JenBobble wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking at moving to Newbridge. Saw a house in 'The Oaks' that looks really nice. I read articles that there is a flooding issue there, possibly resolved now as the articles were old. Saw another one about anti social activity to do with teenagers assaulting people!

I would be looking to commute to Dublin some days also if anyone would have advice on that?

Could anyone give me any tips about the estate please! Or about Newbridge in general.

Hi JB

I'm from Newbridge. Newbridge is a great town, yes there are some issues, but nothing to want to put anyone off moving here.

As for the Oaks? My Daughter's best friend is from there, so am over and back often. There was a 'flooding issue' but that was more to the town side of the Estate, and didn't really affect The Oaks. The road in question I think is Langton Road, which only skirts The Oaks. Langotn Road was closed for ( I think ) 6 months last year to solve the flooding issue. And to the best of my knowledge, it has been solved. As for anti social behaviour? I would never associate ASB in The Oaks. I certainly have never heard of this before, and as I already said, I'm in The Oaks quite often.

As for Newbridge? As I said there are some issues, but nothing insurrmountable. We have a nice town, regular ( allbeit expensive ) trains to Dublin, decent roads, which are being vastly improved at present. Personally, I think we are lucky here.

I'm going away tomorrow for a week, but until then if You want more info, please feel free to PM.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sarac87

Hi,

We moved her a year ago and we love it. I'm not familiar with the Oaks at all but Newbridge as a town is lovely it has everything you would need. We drive to Dublin Monday to Friday for work and I find the drive to be grand the roads are good and getting better on a bad day it takes me maybe an hour or just over to get from Newbridge to Rathfarnham and thats leaving at about 7 or just after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JenBobble

Hi JB

I'm from Newbridge. Newbridge is a great town, yes there are some issues, but nothing to want to put anyone off moving here.

As for the Oaks? My Daughter's best friend is from there, so am over and back often. There was a 'flooding issue' but that was more to the town side of the Estate, and didn't really affect The Oaks. The road in question I think is Langton Road, which only skirts The Oaks. Langotn Road was closed for ( I think ) 6 months last year to solve the flooding issue. And to the best of my knowledge, it has been solved. As for anti social behaviour? I would never associate ASB in The Oaks. I certainly have never heard of this before, and as I already said, I'm in The Oaks quite often.

As for Newbridge? As I said there are some issues, but nothing insurrmountable. We have a nice town, regular ( allbeit expensive ) trains to Dublin, decent roads, which are being vastly improved at present. Personally, I think we are lucky here.

I'm going away tomorrow for a week, but until then if You want more info, please feel free to PM.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks so much! All that info is great :)

Sarac87 wrote: »
    Hi,

We moved her a year ago and we love it. I'm not familiar with the Oaks at all but Newbridge as a town is lovely it has everything you would need. We drive to Dublin Monday to Friday for work and I find the drive to be grand the roads are good and getting better on a bad day it takes me maybe an hour or just over to get from Newbridge to Rathfarnham and thats leaving at about 7 or just after.

Thanks Sara87! Yeah I've seen a few houses in Newbridge now and gone into Whitewater which is a great resource to have. Seems to have everything.

That's good to know about the drive. I commute sometimes through m50 to Leixlip at the moment so it can be the same! Over an hour if there's a crash.
    Hopefully the n7 works will be finished soon and that'll free things up!

Thanks again! Glad you love it and the move went well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Hi All,

My brother has lived with his family in the Oaks for over 15 years and he's never mentioned anything about anti-social behaviour or flooding. we visit there frequently enough and it's a terrific town...nice big main street, fantastic shopping, places to eat, etc.

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    My brother has lived with his family in the Oaks for over 15 years and he's never mentioned anything about anti-social behaviour or flooding. we visit there frequently enough and it's a terrific town...nice big main street, fantastic shopping, places to eat, etc.

Thank you Storker!
    I was googling things so maybe I read it wrong :)

That's a great help. I really appreciate it!

First time buyer moving out of Dublin with a 16year old (who is obviously not happy with moving!) so I just wanted to get all the info before I commit to it.
    So nervous! But Newbridge really seems like a great town. Has everything we would need!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Thank you Storker!

First time buyer moving out of Dublin with a 16year old (who is obviously not happy with moving!) so I just wanted to get all the info before I commit to it.
    So nervous! But Newbridge really seems like a great town. Has everything we would need!

A little bit more info for you...the shops are within walking distance...I'd guess 10-15 minutes away and there's also a parade of shops (garage, chipper, Spar, pharmacy) on the main road that's accessible via a foothpath between the Oaks and the main road. You can see it in Google Maps at https://goo.gl/maps/2JnwTT66mhjctVmx9 .

Thanks Sara87! Yeah I've seen a few houses in Newbridge now and gone into Whitewater which is a great resource to have. Seems to have everything.

That's good to know about the drive. I commute sometimes through m50 to Leixlip at the moment so it can be the same! Over an hour if there's a crash.
    Hopefully the n7 works will be finished soon and that'll free things up!

Thanks again! Glad you love it and the move went well :)

JB

Why do You go up the M/N7 & M50/N4 to get to Leixlip? There are far shorter ways, and less hassle getting to Leixlip too. Ok in winter when it's snowing I might use the M7/50/4 but NEVER when there is no frost ( I also go to Leixlip every day) I go across country - Sallins/Clane/Straffan/Celbridge ( time of day dependent).

storker wrote: »
    A little bit more info for you...the shops are within walking distance...I'd guess 10-15 minutes away and there's also a parade of shops (garage, chipper, Spar, pharmacy) on the main road that's accessible via a foothpath between the Oaks and the main road. You can see it in Google Maps at https://goo.gl/maps/2JnwTT66mhjctVmx9 .

And JB, that chipper ( Central Café ) is by far ( imho ) the best in Newbridge.

JB

Why do You go up the M/N7 & M50/N4 to get to Leixlip? There are far shorter ways, and less hassle getting to Leixlip too. Ok in winter when it's snowing I might use the M7/50/4 but NEVER when there is no frost ( I also go to Leixlip every day) I go across country - Sallins/Clane/Straffan/Celbridge ( time of day dependent).

Sorry I should have said, commute from Rathfarnham at the moment :)

• Advertisement

And JB, that chipper ( Central Café ) is by far ( imho ) the best in Newbridge.

That's what I like to hear! :) Great that there are so many options.

Thank you Storker!

It can be daunting to say the least. We were also first time buyers moving from Rathfarnham with 2 kids (although both younger than 16) and I stressed about it for months all our family live in Dublin, we didn't know anyone in Newbridge but I can honestly say I'm so glad I did it. I don't think I'd ever move back to Dublin now. I hope all goes well for you if you do decide to take the leap 😊

Sarac87 wrote: »
    It can be daunting to say the least. We were also first time buyers moving from Rathfarnham with 2 kids (although both younger than 16) and I stressed about it for months all our family live in Dublin, we didn't know anyone in Newbridge but I can honestly say I'm so glad I did it. I don't think I'd ever move back to Dublin now. I hope all goes well for you if you do decide to take the leap 😊

That is so great to hear sarac87! Glad it all worked out.

Guess you will be hearing a lot more from me as our offer got accepted yesterday! Yipee!
    ****tin' it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hi guys, what is the average commute time from newbridge to say, the four courts roughly for a 9am start? When the roads are finished will this reduce it much do you think? Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Hi guys, what is the average commute time from newbridge to say, the four courts roughly for a 9am start? When the roads are finished will this reduce it much do you think? Thanks guys!

You'd honestly be better taking the train to Heuston and either walking/Luas/Dublin Bike to the four courts. Its so straightforward compared to driving and a hell of a lot more predictable.

Getting in by car/bus is not too bad but getting home out of town is bad. Assuming the road works resolve the bottle neck issue, that leaves getting out of Dublin City which I assume is at 5.30 and out to the N7 and that is no joke, believe me. And this is during the Holidays....Rainy day in November...forget about it.

The 08:01 or 8:10 train will get you in to Heuston comfortably in time to be at the four courts by 9 but its probably standing room only (I haven't used these services in a while). Earlier will probably have more seats but its pot luck.

Guess you will be hearing a lot more from me as our offer got accepted yesterday! Yipee!

Congratulations JB

GavMan wrote: »
    You'd honestly be better taking the train to Heuston and either walking/Luas/Dublin Bike to the four courts. Its so straightforward compared to driving and a hell of a lot more predictable.

Getting in by car/bus is not too bad but getting home out of town is bad. Assuming the road works resolve the bottle neck issue, that leaves getting out of Dublin City which I assume is at 5.30 and out to the N7 and that is no joke, believe me. And this is during the Holidays....Rainy day in November...forget about it.

The 08:01 or 8:10 train will get you in to Heuston comfortably in time to be at the four courts by 9 but its probably standing room only (I haven't used these services in a while). Earlier will probably have more seats but its pot luck.

I would agree with Gav, SATSUMA.

Thats great news delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marcelomaxaqp

Hi,

I saw there are several new developments coming to Newbridge. One that I am particularly interested is the curragh farm one, in front of the maxol gas station. Would you have any comments on that location?

Thanks!

There's basically nothing near that development. But that wouldn't bother me. Great access to the M7. 20-30min walk to the whitewater. There garage is there if you were stuck for something in a pinch. There can be a decent bit of traffic on that road up to the town which would be the main drawback which would impact you going to Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl/Aldi(opening soon-ish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The Spar shop and pharmacy at Ballymany is a short walk. Keadeen next to the development has a decent leisure centre, decent bar and decent restaurant. Though I'd agree on traffic and probably easier and quicker to to grocery shopping in Kildare Town. There will also be an entrance/exit on the rear road which would probably be quicker for accessing the train station and possibly quicker for accessing the town centre too - bringing you to the back of McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 3 emsaggs

Hi there, I am also really interested in the new development Curragh Farm and would love to hear from anyone who has made the move from Dublin to Newbridge? Myself and my husband (and 2 year old son!) are thinking about making the move in the next 12 months and would love to hear how others who have recently done the same are finding it! What are schools like, etc. Thanks, Emma

Post edited by emsaggs on

I moved it 2014 from South West Dublin and find it great. Short drive to my folks but with just enough distance to do your own thing. So easy to get to Dublin City, though fares are expensive compared to Naas (but manageable with Tax Saver Tickets). Lots of shops in the town. Great motorway links. Lots to do around the town within a short drive. Kildare Village nearby. Kildare Farm Foods is a great free pet farm for the kids nearby. Its great that everything you need is in the town. Train station, banks, Whitewater, Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl, Supervalu, Aldi under construction, Woodies, Screwfix, Petrol stations, etc. I looked hard at Naas but the station being in Sallins and everything is dotted around the outskirts of the town so you end up driving through or around the town for everything and thats what swung it to Newbridge for me (plus house prices ultimately).

School places (particularly secondary) are tight however. Some infrastructure issues need to be addressed like a 2nd bridge on the athgarvan side, access to Roseberry, waste/sewage water. In fairness, some of those are being worked on and most wont apply to you day to day in Curragh Farm. Traffic in town is a bit mad but you are in walking distance. I often walk to town from the Walshestown side and its much the same distance. Great excuse to get out with the buggy at the weekend.

I was warned about Crime and Anti Social behaviour but I honestly haven't had a single issue. Find it very safe and any trouble I have read about it seems very localised around the area in town where there is the Peter McVerry Trust housing behind the main street.

Once the commutes etc make sense, I'd recommend. Take a couple of day trips down and get a feel for it. Thats what we did. Did a couple of commutes too which I'd recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 3 emsaggs

Thanks so much @GavMan that is so helpful!!! Really appreciate it! Were moving from South West Dublin too!

We do really like the feel of the town so its great to hear from someone who has made the move about life there day to day, thank you! It’s daunting making the move from Dublin but it does seem to have everything you need without needing to travel far and we too have family nearby (but not too close :)) in Clane and Sallins!

Kildare Farm Foods sounds great!! Those are the places we are really interested in aswell as walks/parks etc. for the weekend trips! Whitewater is great too with cinema and restaurants etc and lots of supermarkets!

Also great to hear you haven’t seen any issues with crime/anti social behaviour because that’s one thing I heard about too!

Any other tips welcome!!! Thanks so much again for taking the time to respond :)

Post edited by emsaggs on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Harshad

I'm looking at some developments in Newbridge myself. Any particular reason for curragh farm compared to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 swamy

@marcelomaxaqp & @Harshad did you buy in Curragh Farm or planning to?

Heard the show houses and other ones already built there in Curragh Farm are temporarily blocked from occupation by Irish Water. Curious on the cause of the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sunilani11

Hi,

We are planning to buy a house in Belin Wood in Athgarvan Road, Newbridge. Heard that there was a water pond there before the new development and flooding in that area. Don't know it's true or not.

Also some one mentioned that the traffic is crazy around that new development.

We are moving from Dublin 14 with 2 boys and would like to hear about the schools as well . If anyone can help us to find the details , it will be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi

What age are the boys?

Regarding the traffic it seems to have improved after they built a filter lane to turn right into Kilbelin. But what it’ll be like when all those houses are occupied is anyone’s guess.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

Advertisement