Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vermouth

Options
  • 04-07-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Someone brought over a bottle of vermouth this weekend.
    I think it's a mainstay of a manhattan but any other tasty ideas on how to use it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,146 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blanco, dry or rosso?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

L1011 wrote: »
    Blanco, dry or rosso?

it says the base is gewurztraminer, so blanco I suppose. Made by a small distiller in the niagara wine region called Dillons.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,146 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Martini variants, e.g. ones with various bitters would be what I'd primarily do. Martini afficionados will want my head on a platter for that I suspect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Maybe a negroni? Not exactly the summeriest of tipples I can think of but sure look!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gin or Vodka, vermouth and tonic over ice with lemon.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Vermouth is very nice served simply over ice, with a twist.

If the base is Gewurtz, then it’s probably lighter and more floral, so it could get lost in the bigger mixed drinks like Manhattan or Negroni. I’d still try though :)

Vermouth and Sherry mix well together too, and would give you a lighter alcohol cocktail.

Some good basic ideas here https://talesofthecocktail.com/recipes/6-classic-vermouth-cocktails-deserve-your-respect

Advertisement