Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on grants and forestry.

Options
  • 04-07-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was looking at some forestry, and had a few queries. The backgrounds nd is that the land is 22 HA and already planted in ash (25%) and Xmas trees (nobles) planted all 22 years ago. Essentially Xmas trees were thinned out with odd line taken, for a while but looks nothing taken out in many years. So now it is a mix on nobles and ash, some nobles would make saw logs and rest pulp, ash is in the main straight and probably about 150 mm to 220 mm across at 1.5 metre off ground.
    Land was originally agricultural land used for grazing. It is on east side f Leinster. Re planting obligation n is 7.2 HA. The land itself would have been pretty good farmland.

Asking price is 290 K.

My main question is, if replanting obligation is 7.2 HA, does that mean I could avail of the grants if I felled the existing stuff (well all the nobles anyway) and replanted on the 14 HA that did not receive previous grants, or is it a case that grants are only only available for forestry only planted on land that was not previously in any forestry specifically Xmas trees?

Any finger in the air on what existing stuff might be worth?

Last query, has anyone any idea on cost to put clear feee back to grazing land , per HA. Stump grinding etc.

Thanks a mill Bibio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

bibio wrote: »

Last query, has anyone any idea on cost to put clear feee back to grazing land , per HA. Stump grinding etc.

Not that simple. You have to replant after felling. Potentially you can try to plant a different site in lieu. Not sure how likely it is even to be allowed to do that. So you need to factor in purchase of alternate site, never mind stump grinding

Edit: Sorry, Christmas trees different. I don't think they count as "trees" Someone else can confirm. I misread post last night

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Appreciate the reply, I probably didn’t explain it coming correctly My question is that on 2/3 of land there is no replanting requirement at all, but Nobles Xmas trees are planted on this and are now nearly 25 years. If I cleared them, could I replant and would the site be considered eligible for grants? I understand that on the section that availed of grants I.e the ash, that if I fell then no grants available for a second planting and also I’m obliged to replant on that section.
    Thanks
    Bibio

• Registered Users Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

bibio wrote: »
    Appreciate the reply, I probably didn’t explain it coming correctly My question is that on 2/3 of land there is no replanting requirement at all, but Nobles Xmas trees are planted on this and are now nearly 25 years. If I cleared them, could I replant and would the site be considered eligible for grants? I understand that on the section that availed of grants I.e the ash, that if I fell then no grants available for a second planting and also I’m obliged to replant on that section.
    Thanks
    Bibio

Ok, my *guess* from how I'd think it should logically work is that Christmass trees are classified as a crop the same as if you had a crop of wheat or spuds in it. I don't think they are classed as "foresty" although I stand to be corrected. I think this is why you can't get a grant on them in the first place. If you replanted with oak etc it should be the same as planting on a pasture. I stand to be corrected though (I don't think you will get anything for planting ash though anyway as I think it's not supported due to dieback). I don't know whether you need a felling licence for Christmas trees. If you do, that's when things might get hairy if there were conditions.

A caveat is to take anything I say on the matter with a pinch of salt. Not an expert. I was looking into similar previously so I just had an interest. But I don't have forestry myself.

Advertisement