Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.4ghz & 5ghz - best to separate or combine?

Options
  • 04-07-2019 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

I have a fritzbox wireless ac router on ftth , would it be best to combine both 2.4 & 5ghz with the same ssid name or keep them separate with the -5g in the ssid name ?

And then just choose 5ghz if I'm near the router with a device that has dual band AC wireless in it or just use the one ssis with the same name and let a device choose to switch to either 2.4g or 5g?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have a fritzbox wireless ac router on ftth , would it be best to combine both 2.4 & 5ghz with the same ssid name or keep them separate with the -5g in the ssid name ?

And then just choose 5ghz if I'm near the router with a device that has dual band AC wireless in it or just use the one ssis with the same name and let a device choose to switch to either 2.4g or 5g?

It all depends on your 5Ghz devices, how old they are and the drivers they use. Newer windows, android and apple devices will move to and stay on 5ghz when the signal is decent and move back to 2.4 when signal weakens. I used have mine separated but have now use the same SSID. Older devices could be troublesome, as in may move from 5 to 2.4 but never move back. There are apps that help, i'm using WiFi manager on my android.

Advertisement