Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pup~ Nerves kicking in.

Options
  • 03-07-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I’m jumping back into the animal ownership after my 12 year old boxer passed away in September.
    This will be our first pup as a family of four and I’m excited but also slightly dreading it.

Ok first question :
    I wanted a rescue dog but our land is not enclosed and due to the size and shape of the land it would be extremely difficult to do so. So I was thinking either to get a garden stake with a 50ft lead(for when we are outside , toileting etc; until pup gets some recall. Is this a reasonable solution or i am crazy thinking I can train the dog to stay within boundaries. (the land is surrounded by trees, thorn bushes, a river and the entrance doesn’t have a gate.)

Crate training.
    I want to be able to crate train the dog so she has a space to get some peace from the kids. I’ve never used a crate so no idea how to do this!

Food:,
    My boxer was on a special diet for years as she had very bad tummy troubles. Before that I fed her raw. Is there somewhere I can buy raw food online?
    And if I went the dry food route (probably upper end of average price, how much would I expect her to eat per month? Would a 12kg bag last 1month?
    And finally any other tips!? She is a golden retriever. I’ve baby gates for the play room and other rooms I don’t want her having free access to, lots of toys bought, kids schooled in how to be nice although I’ve no idea how much they took in!
    Overall I’m slightly dreading the idea of having a crazy puppy running around wreaking the place but also really looking forward to having a puppy again. It’s been a really long time since I had anything to do with a dog so young and I want to make sure I get it right as much as possible!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Its so exciting getting a new pup... we have a young Rottweiler pup and he is great!

We have a really big garden which would be very hard to put fencing all around. Because of this I have sectioned off a largish part of the garden for the dogs and fenced that. It makes it easier for me as they love to dig and would ruin the rest of the garden but now they can do whatever they want in their garden. And most importantly they are safe.

My girl still likes to sit out the front (she wont **** in her garden even after 5 years!) to go the toilet but she is on a cable (from petstore) that is 30 meters... the pup wont be allowed out. Nymeria got used to it and we built the dog garden over a couple of years when she was still young.. she loves it but wouldn't toilet there!

Best of luck with your new pup... do you have one picked? Breed and size matter when tying them outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My golden girl wasn't crazy as a pup compared to mad pups and we didn't have that much destruction - maybe the ears off a toy as she was teething but that's it. I had puppy keys from nylabone for her and she teethed on them. Her mum was very chilled out, my other dog gave out if she was too crazy and I also attribute it to her being raw fed from day one with us. There's loads of places you can buy it online - rawvolution.ie, fetchyourpetsneeds.ie etc I found thought that as she was growing Lucy was eating us ou of house and home so I did mix the food with Rocco junior from zoo plus and nature diet just to bulk it out.
    I did crate her as we needed to be able to give Bailey some space and also train her to be alone - Bailey goes mad if we leave him so we needed to make sure she knew how to settle etc etc

Everything will be fine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got a pup from a rescue at 3 Months. She's 4 Months old.
    I have her whistle trained to come back to me.

We're in the country and have a lot of land attached to the house.
    She has free access to the garden when the back door is open and she sleeps in the utility room.

Advertisement