Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Cabaret in Portrush during the Open Golf!

Options
  • 03-07-2019 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

"Portrush’s Orange parade not a good look for British Open"

In essence, as the third round of the Open concludes, spectators will exit Royal Portrush GC to the sound of flutes and drums as a three-hour Orange Band concert will take place from 6.30pm in the centre of the town.

Should be great fun - wish I was going!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When in Rome....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yet another Supremacy Parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

"Portrush’s Orange parade not a good look for British Open"

In essence, as the third round of the Open concludes, spectators will exit Royal Portrush GC to the sound of flutes and drums as a three-hour Orange Band concert will take place from 6.30pm in the centre of the town.

Should be great fun - wish I was going!

Good luck to them but seriously three hours?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Think about it the other way around. As Orange Order begins its concert, it will be interrupted by the inevitable shouts of "mashed potato" and "get in the hole".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good luck to them but seriously three hours?!

They shortened it because of the lack of parking, I kid you not. It normally goes on all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I listened to a Belfast band practising this weekend and if you can manage to put the underlying nationalism and sectarianism aside it's an awesome sound.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Yes, I’m sure the sounds of accordions playing will really offend the masses attending the golf. Or maybe not. This parade has been happening for years. It’s good to see they reached an accommodation to have a concert instead due to the no traffic rule. I’m sure plenty of golf tourists will come by as well.

The only thing that will ruin the golf in Portrush is the weather. So great to have the Open here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,113 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not my bag at all, but plenty of people will be around listening to them, including some of the "Catholics from the Rep of Ireland" as the Irish Times article put it.

Can't see Sky TV covering it though as part of their Open coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not my bag at all, but plenty of people will be around listening to them, including some of the "Catholics from the Rep of Ireland" as the Irish Times article put it.

Can't see Sky TV covering it though as part of their Open coverage.

And why would they? It’s nothing to do with the golf. And you would have to actually make a point of going to it even if you were attending the golf. Traffic not allowed into town. Which is great for me and the kids cycling without cars.

I might attend the concert myself for 10 minutes on my way to the harbour bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Great family day out with lovely music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement