Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using RJ11 \ phone lead in cat 6 network

Options
  • 02-07-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I have plugged RG11 into the RJ45 ports of my cat 6 wired house, especting it to work as I believe it only uses 2 of the cat 6 connections. At my patch panel I have the phone plugged into the corresponsing port. Should this work?

My understanding is that using 1 cat5 cable in a cat 6 network reduces the speed of the whole network. Is using a phone cable ok?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

boardtc wrote: »
    I have plugged RG11 into the RJ45 ports of my cat 6 wired house, especting it to work as I believe it only uses 2 of the cat 6 connections. At my patch panel I have the phone plugged into the corresponsing port. Should this work?

My understanding is that using 1 cat5 cable in a cat 6 network reduces the speed of the whole network. Is using a phone cable ok?

Your phone's won't be connected to your network so will have no impact on performance.

One cat5 cable will not reduce the speed of the whole network only devices communicating over that segment.

Edit: Some RJ45 ports don't suit RG11 (phone) plugs very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

For anyone searching this has been frustrating but I have ebentually found out that a wired cat 6 port is not compatible with RJ11. You need to rewire the end point with a RJ11 plate. The other end needs to be removed from the patch panel and rewired to an RJ11 plate also.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

I found a lot simpler solution that my last post, which works!
    You need to get 2 wires which have RJ11 Male on one end and 4 wire RJ45 Male on the other. one goes from phone in to your patch panel port, then the other from you target port to the phone.

8SOiKJ.jpg

Advertisement