Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Fishing

Options
  • 01-07-2019 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to bring the young lad fishing, nothing too serious and mainly just catch and release. It's been years since I've gone fishing and most of the prep was done by someone else back then so I'm a little bit lost on how to even get started.

First, what are the legal requirements we need to do? Do we need to get a license each?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a decent starter rod, or starter kit, for each of us? Preferably fly fishing as that's what I done before.

Lastly, advice on what bait to use, preferably nothing live. When I was younger we just used worms but I'd rather just buy some fake bait in the shop or online if possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Doff wrote: »
    I'm looking to bring the young lad fishing, nothing too serious and mainly just catch and release. It's been years since I've gone fishing and most of the prep was done by someone else back then so I'm a little bit lost on how to even get started.

First, what are the legal requirements we need to do? Do we need to get a license each?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a decent starter rod, or starter kit, for each of us? Preferably fly fishing as that's what I done before.

Lastly, advice on what bait to use, preferably nothing live. When I was younger we just used worms but I'd rather just buy some fake bait in the shop or online if possible.

Thanks!

Shakespeare used to do a good range of budget fly rods called Sigma. Probably still do. They are decent. Really the best advice I could give you is to go to a good tackle shop. Fly fishing might be a bit hard for the kid if hes never done it before to be honest. If near the coast try some sea fishing. Maybe get out on a charter boat if they have free seats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Doff wrote: »

Thanks!

Hey

So the sigmas mentioned above are serious kits for the money, €85 or there abouts.

Shakespeare also do a range called omni for €55 - nothing wrong with those either tbh.

If you want the young lad to start fly fishing start him on the bubble and fly - A float with 1 or 2 flies off the end, its a cross between spinning and fly fishing, and very successful so he will love it and wont have the difficulties of learning the fly rod.

Licences entirely depend on where you are fishing. Trout fishing is generally free unless your on club water somewhere - Where were you thinking of going?

If you want a budget setup for you both Ill look after the 2 of you for about €100 - You can obviously spend 5k if you like but that should be enough to get you started and fishing away.

Fly rod setup for you and a spinning setup for him. The size of the spinning rod will entirely depend on what age he is - You should look at some thing around 6ft if he is small, increasing to around 9ft for a 10/11 yr old or if he has some experience.

Lastly - im not sure why you were using worms on a fly rod :? id include flies with the above offer. You can however use worms or sweetcorn with the spinning rod under a float.

If your interested ill link you to a world of info on getting started in both scenarios, from where to go, what to look for, the best methods in various situations to learning watercraft and how to get the best out of your days on the water.

Give me a pm if you want anymore help or information, you couldnt pick a better sport to start with the young lad and it will be something you will do together forever if you start in the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

I want to try bubble and the fly. It seem like good way to start the fish. Sorry for intruding into other man's thread. I am go to Corrib in couple of week with friend. So I would like to learn fishing.

Advertisement