Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References (or lack of)

Options
  • 01-07-2019 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does any one else stumble over providing references or names of referees in job application? I don't have work references. My previous employers from over a decade ago are dead, out if business, wouldn't remember me etc. I have two more recent college professor references that I could show. when I see anything about contacting referees in a job application I am put off applying because I have just the same college referees,who said they are happy to help but I don't want to take the p**s either. I don't have volunteer or personal recommendation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't see the problem.
    You've obviously been studying, and the professors say they are happy to help you so use those.
    If you have been studying recently, then obviously that's reflected on your CV so the professor references are very relevant.
    In the interim, why not try to get some experience, a few hours a week, in the field you are looking for work in.
    It'll boost your CV and get your an extra reference.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I still put down university referees, they just want to make sure youre a genuine person and wont cause problems.
    If you want more recent ones can you volunteer? Even if its just an hour a week, it will give a relevant and recent referee to put down on your applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ThatsNew

Thanks very much for the helpful replies every one, It has put my mind as ease in a big way!

Advertisement