Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job - Social Welfare

Options
  • 01-07-2019 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All,

I interviewed for a job a couple months ago, didn't get it. Reapplied for same position, and had an interview this morning and they asked when can I start, I said I'm available to start immediately, they asked me to come in Thursday to get started.

The process has been quite casual, and I am uncertain as I have not yet signed a contract, do I let the social welfare that I am starting a new job or do I wait until I have signed a contract?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Wait until the contract is signed, nothing is certain until the paper work is put through.In my eyes that's the safest thing to do for your own security.Once you sign the contract notify them as soon as possible to avoid any complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Wait until you start.
    There's no harm collecting an extra week's dole even though you're starting a job. Just remember you'll have to pay some of it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Would def wait until you have signed contract as if anything were to fall through and then you didnt get to start the job you may possibly have to go through a lot of paperwork to start signing on again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ladygoodman

Thanks all for your replies.

Worked Thursday - Friday, no sign of contract.

Concerned about what I'll do money wise this week. I'm unable to collect until Saturday (as opposed to Tuesday) as I will be working all week.

With any luck contract will be sorted so I can sort out a supplementary payment possibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

In my last job I didnt get a contract until months into the job. Just collect the dole as normal and don't say anything until you start getting wages and then tell them you are signing off. They'll eventually write to you to ask you to make weekly repayments saying you were overpaid.

Some jobs you could be getting paid monthly, you shouldn't have to be broke for weeks after getting yourself off the dole, starting a new job is stressful enough amd there can often be increased costs for commuting/work clothes that need to be covered.

They should have a better way of helping people transition but they don't, except for certain types of cases/payments. so basically this is the default way to do it if you rely on the dole week to week.

You don't have to stress out over it theyre not gonna come after you for welfare fraud they will just send a letter looking for the money back. They'll suggest a weekly amount but ultimately you have to agree to to it before they can take anything and can decide the weekly amount yourself based on what will suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ladygoodman

In my last job I didnt get a contract until months into the job. Just collect the dole as normal and don't say anything until you start getting wages and then tell them you are signing off. They'll eventually write to you to ask you to make weekly repayments saying you were overpaid.

Some jobs you could be getting paid monthly, you shouldn't have to be broke for weeks after getting yourself off the dole, starting a new job is stressful enough amd there can often be increased costs for commuting/work clothes that need to be covered.

They should have a better way of helping people transition but they don't, except for certain types of cases/payments. so basically this is the default way to do it if you rely on the dole week to week.

You don't have to stress out over it theyre not gonna come after you for welfare fraud they will just send a letter looking for the money back. They'll suggest a weekly amount but ultimately you have to agree to to it before they can take anything and can decide the weekly amount yourself based on what will suit you.

Thanks for you reply. I started last week on Thursday, and was paid for Thursday/Friday. They have stated I am still in a trial period. Unsure if I'll be getting paid, the next pay day after this back week.

So where do I go from here? Feeling uneasy with getting paid and picking up sw.

Thanks for you reply. I started last week on Thursday, and was paid for Thursday/Friday. They have stated I am still in a trial period. Unsure if I'll be getting paid, the next pay day after this back week.

So where do I go from here? Feeling uneasy with getting paid and picking up sw.

So you got paid for the first week, why would you be unsure of getting paid the next week that makes absolutely no sense. All jobs are basically a trial period first six months. Think you need to start figuring this stuff out for yourself now tbh.

Think you need to start figuring this stuff out for yourself now tbh.

Nobody is forcing you to post. The OP has a real life problem and is seeking advice. I've no idea what it's like to be in their position, but can imagine it's stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You can sign off online, and they’ll send you out your last payment by cheque.

Nobody is forcing you to post. The OP has a real life problem and is seeking advice. I've no idea what it's like to be in their position, but can imagine it's stressful.

Did you read my post before that one? I could not have given a better explanation as to how to handle it/what options are there in that prior post, and don't think anyone else could or did, either.

As I stated: You either don't sign off right away to tide you over until payday, and then pay it back in weekly installments, or sign off and make do until payday. AND, OP has said she has started getting paid so why is there a need for further advice is my point?

And I DO have an idea what it's like to be in that position, have been there and done it, which is why I was able to give actual advice. Do you actually think your posting in this thread was more helpful?

• Advertisement

. Do you actually think your posting in this thread was more helpful?

I'm advising the OP keeps looking for advice until he's happy, not when you decide he should have figured it out.

Advertisement