Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

How bad are hurling Referees?

  • 30-06-2019 7:01pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    Having watched the hurling today as I have done for many years now I can only conclude that the standard of referring seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on. There is no consistency whatsoever among them and an awful lot of them seem to think that the game is all about them.

    I train u10s and u12s and spend a lot of time teaching them the rules and how to respect the ref. Even at that level some referees will enforce the rules and some will completely disregard them. Kids end up mostly confused as the ref is allowing the other team to do things that we tell our kids are not allowed in the playing field.

    Maybe I'm looking at previous decades of refs with rose tinted glasses but I don't think I am. What does everyone else think and how can the current standard be improved because honestly I don't think it can get much worse.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭ crossman47


    I think you have a good point. The mantra of "let the game flow" has become a joke so now anything goes. Brian Cody has a lot to answer for. He encouraged defensive swarming and the use of the spare hand in the tackle and berated refs who tried to apply the rules.

    The other issue now is the illegal handpass. That is hardly ever penalised.

    The simple answer to your question is tell refs apply the rules of hurling. Use of the spare hand, charging with the ball and throwing the ball are not allowed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭ citykat


    The entertainment value of hurling has never been as high as it is now. Intensity levels increase year on year. Gaelic is a boring spectacle in comparison. Yet some want to piss and moan about refs. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. The last thing I want to see is a freefest. If it ain't broke don't fix it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭ Odyssey 2005


    Stevie wonder would have done a better job than the pair of idiots in Dublin or Limerick today.
    Lads spend months/years training, only to be reffed3by mr.magoo. Shocking. !!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 Mahony0509


    Stevie wonder would have done a better job than the pair of idiots in Dublin or Limerick today.
    Lads spend months/years training, only to be reffed3by mr.magoo. Shocking. !!
    Both of the referees today performed terribly in the matches they refereed in the munster championship this year. Fergal Horgan should have reffed the Leinster final, while someone like Alan Kelly or James Owens should have been in Limerick.


  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭ Deskjockey


    Stevie wonder would have done a better job than the pair of idiots in Dublin or Limerick today.
    Lads spend months/years training, only to be reffed3by mr.magoo. Shocking. !!

    Referees have an impossible job. The pace of the game has increased massively and the distance the ball travels yet the ref is still expected to keep up with the play all the time. Newsflash - they are going to make mistakes- they always have.

    The ref in Croker today (didnt see the other match) had a brainfart regarding stopping play to bring on a sub but otherwise - from neutral point of view - seemed to do ok... calling him an idiot , whoever he was, is pure ignorance

    No wonder the GAA is struggling to keep refs when people are so negative and don't accept human error is part of the package. A player makes a mistake, no issue, next ball he can make it up. A ref makes a mistake , all hell breaks loose


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭ Water John


    Refereeing hurling at this level is difficult. The goalie has the option of going short or landing it into the full forward line. What position does he take up?
    Thought the Munster Final was reffed ok, except for the one near the end where the Limerick player had to go off after what was in effect assault and the Tipp player wasn't even booked. It should have been straight red for dangerous play, game over or not.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 Mahony0509


    People saying refereeing is 'hard' are paying little attention to the drop in level from last year to this year. It's like night and day. They've been awful all-round this year.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭ Blueshoe


    The ball moves so fast and the ref can only cover so much ground. How would the AFL style of a ref in either half work?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Water John wrote: »
    Refereeing hurling at this level is difficult. The goalie has the option of going short or landing it into the full forward line. What position does he take up?
    Thought the Munster Final was reffed ok, except for the one near the end where the Limerick player had to go off after what was in effect assault and the Tipp player wasn't even booked. It should have been straight red for dangerous play, game over or not.


    That was Ronan Maher. In fairness he was one of few Tipp players who played out of their skin but that smacked of deliberately trying to do someone when the game was already gone.

    Be interesting to see if it gets mentioned in despatches as he would be huge loss if he's suspended, Definitely should have walked. Whatever about hitting a lad a belt when the game is there, that sort of thing smacks of a nasty streak.


  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ Legalfarmer89


    Think refs need more help from sideline officials/umpires, who only seem to be called when something controversial happens or there is a dispute as to a score.

    The game of hurling is now so fast that the full use of all the officials is needed.

    Some of them are no more than spare tools!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭ Odyssey 2005


    Water John wrote: »
    Refereeing hurling at this level is difficult. The goalie has the option of going short or landing it into the full forward line. What position does he take up?
    Thought the Munster Final was reffed ok, except for the one near the end where the Limerick player had to go off after what was in effect assault and the Tipp player wasn't even booked. It should have been straight red for dangerous play, game over or not.

    That incident happened 10 yards of less in front of the ref,he was looking directly at the incident. It was a blatant red card,yet limerick didnt even get a free !!!. A shocking decision


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    Water John wrote: »
    Refereeing hurling at this level is difficult. The goalie has the option of going short or landing it into the full forward line. What position does he take up?
    Thought the Munster Final was reffed ok, except for the one near the end where the Limerick player had to go off after what was in effect assault and the Tipp player wasn't even booked. It should have been straight red for dangerous play, game over or not.

    The ref was standing looking at this incident as it happened and did nothing. Ridiculous stuff, yet people use the argument that the game has gone so fast that the refs miss the odd thing. He was standing right there looking at it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    citykat wrote: »
    The entertainment value of hurling has never been as high as it is now. Intensity levels increase year on year. Gaelic is a boring spectacle in comparison. Yet some want to piss and moan about refs. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. The last thing I want to see is a freefest. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    I agree with most of what you said but things are definitely broken. There is nothing better than a free flowing game of hurling, but if this is the view that a ref is aiming for then it has to be free flowing for both sides. The ref in the Munster final had an absolute howler.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    The ball moves so fast and the ref can only cover so much ground. How would the AFL style of a ref in either half work?

    I brought this suggestion up at a county board meeting many years back and I was laughed at. It makes sense but the hierarchy are not for changing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭ Tomtom364


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    That was Ronan Maher. In fairness he was one of few Tipp players who played out of their skin but that smacked of deliberately trying to do someone when the game was already gone.

    Be interesting to see if it gets mentioned in despatches as he would be huge loss if he's suspended, Definitely should have walked. Whatever about hitting a lad a belt when the game is there, that sort of thing smacks of a nasty streak.

    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/427059/tipperary-s-ronan-maher-will-prepare-for-garda-college-by-playing-in-munster-final-against-limerick.html
    Tipperary's Ronan Maher will prepare for Garda College by playing in Munster Final against Limerick


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    That incident happened 10 yards of less in front of the ref,he was looking directly at the incident. It was a blatant red card,yet limerick didnt even get a free !!!. A shocking decision


    Only mentioned it out of interest as to whether TSG had raised it. Seems they did not, which is on balance a good thing as their panel should not be a star chamber. If ref missed it then its his bad.

    Contrasts with the hounding of Seán Cavanagh, Diarmuid Connolly and others by the football panel which had direct impact on their treatment by the committee men. So again, a good ting that hurling is not as afflicted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ Rasputin11


    The problem with hurling refereeing is that is seems that it's reffed for the benefit of the crowd rather than the players. The man in possession is being mauled, all teams are guilty of this, yet the ref is lambasted for not "letting it flow". The officials are on a hiding to nothing because they're expected to deliver a great spectacle for the public and also not punish the multiple fouls that occur in almost every contact situation. If there was a proper campaign to stamp out the pulling and dragging with the spare arm, it would aid the game greatly.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭ Blinky Plebum


    citykat wrote: »
    The entertainment value of hurling has never been as high as it is now. Intensity levels increase year on year. Gaelic is a boring spectacle in comparison. Yet some want to piss and moan about refs. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. The last thing I want to see is a freefest. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    I disagree, the sport has turned into a long range scoring fest with much less hurling bieng played in the game than it used to be, players spend a large part of the game looking at the ball soaring over their heads.No ground hurling any more, very little first time pulling on the ball in the air and loads of rucks forming becuase of the desperation to get the ball into hand rather than hitting it on the ground if it didn't get into hand first time round.

    The sport was much more entertaining in the early to mid 2000's but since then the distance the ball can be hit has got too out of control and has had a negative affect on the game in my opinion.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭ fergus1001


    they're terrible Joe


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ kevin7


    Its a tough job, refs cant be expected to see everything, its just impossible. I'm pretty sure when Peter Casey got that hit from Ronan Maher the ref was nearby alright but had just turned the other way to follow the action. Basically, he didn't see that one, so he can't really give a free or a card. That's where his linesmen let him down. I can't explain how neither of them saw the incident!

    As for umpires, I don't think they are qualified referees, so its not fair to expect them to make calls of judgement - they don't necessarily know the rules and have no training, so they can report cold facts to the ref and let him decide what to do. I'm thinking here of things like judging if a hit was incidental or deliberate, was it aggressive or not. These are things the umpires may have an opinion on, but aren't qualified to tell the referee he needs to give a penalty or issue a red card.

    But the main point here is that hurling is such a fast game that its very hard to see everything that goes on. The linesmen currently act as two extra pairs of eyes, and probably should be used more than they currently are. Whats the harm using real referees as umpires too? There are only so many top-level referees in the country, so you cant have 7 of them at every big game, but there are plenty from the next level that could step up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    The ball moves so fast and the ref can only cover so much ground. How would the AFL style of a ref in either half work?

    It would benefit the game hugely. Far less physical demand on the one referee over the 70. The game has got much faster, players fitness levels are at an all time high so to monitor 30 players with the speed the game is played at over a huge expanse of pitch as it is must be a massive undertaking. Two referees just makes sense.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭ I says


    Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Both of the referees today performed terribly in the matches they refereed in the munster championship this year. Fergal Horgan should have reffed the Leinster final, while someone like Alan Kelly or James Owens should have been in Limerick.

    James Owens,are ya fcuking joking, been one of the worst ref for years


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    kevin7 wrote: »
    Its a tough job, refs cant be expected to see everything, its just impossible. I'm pretty sure when Peter Casey got that hit from Ronan Maher the ref was nearby alright but had just turned the other way to follow the action. Basically, he didn't see that one, so he can't really give a free or a card. That's where his linesmen let him down. I can't explain how neither of them saw the incident!

    As for umpires, I don't think they are qualified referees, so its not fair to expect them to make calls of judgement - they don't necessarily know the rules and have no training, so they can report cold facts to the ref and let him decide what to do. I'm thinking here of things like judging if a hit was incidental or deliberate, was it aggressive or not. These are things the umpires may have an opinion on, but aren't qualified to tell the referee he needs to give a penalty or issue a red card.

    But the main point here is that hurling is such a fast game that its very hard to see everything that goes on. The linesmen currently act as two extra pairs of eyes, and probably should be used more than they currently are. Whats the harm using real referees as umpires too? There are only so many top-level referees in the country, so you cant have 7 of them at every big game, but there are plenty from the next level that could step up.

    If he didn't see that then he shouldn't be reffing


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭ Edgware


    One referee, two linesmen, four umpires ( three if you dont count the gob****e in Croke Park yesterday)
    How many more officials do people want?
    Although I would take the time keeping responsibility away from referees


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭ threeball


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    The ball moves so fast and the ref can only cover so much ground. How would the AFL style of a ref in either half work?

    That works in AFL as there's basically no rules. The problem with a ref in each half is you'll end up with two interpretations within the same game. Players won't know what's up or down.

    Best solution is to allow the linesmen and umpires have a proper say in procedures. The ref follows the ball the other lads keep an eye for off it. The people are there already they're just not being used. It's like a plumber having 6 employees who all stand around and hand him spanners while he does all the work. It's mad stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭ threeball


    Gerry G wrote: »
    If he didn't see that then he shouldn't be reffing

    Easy to say but I've got stuck reffing go games and it can be hard to see all that's going on never mind all the stuff at inter county and at the pace it's played.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭ Blueshoe


    threeball wrote: »
    That works in AFL as there's basically no rules. The problem with a ref in each half is you'll end up with two interpretations within the same game. Players won't know what's up or down.

    Best solution is to allow the linesmen and umpires have a proper say in procedures. The ref follows the ball the other lads keep an eye for off it. The people are there already they're just not being used. It's like a plumber having 6 employees who all stand around and hand him spanners while he does all the work. It's mad stuff.

    Linesmen aren't referees. By the time it takes him to spot the foul and then contact the ref and for the ref to blow the whistle even though he hasn't seen the foul the game will have moved on and will become too stop start.

    If there are two referees one officiates one half of the pitch and the other the remaining half. They don't leave their half
    The rules don't change you just have refereeing from close to where ever the ball is. The game will be the same.

    You are talking about slowing down the game and adding some officials who can stop the match.

    2 referees won't slow the game down. There will just be a ref closer to the ball. Always up with the action.


    There are plenty of rules in AFL and the ball moves quickly and the pitch is wider. Two referees make sense.

    With the speed of the ball and the level of athlete that modern players are how is a 40 something year old ref supposed to keep up? There are bound to be poor decisions


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭ Blueshoe


    Edgware wrote: »
    One referee, two linesmen, four umpires ( three if you dont count the gob****e in Croke Park yesterday)
    How many more officials do people want?
    Although I would take the time keeping responsibility away from referees

    You seem to be confused into thinking both refs would be running around as they see fit. One half each. Just to keep pace with the modern game. No other changes.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 Gentleman Off The Pitch


    Gerry G wrote: »
    If he didn't see that then he shouldn't be reffing

    Maher's challenge is nowhere near as bad as people are making out. From Maher's perspective it was a nice hit, he got the ball first and got to follow through on Casey being somewhat protected from severe sanction by the fact he dispossessed him first. I can see why the ref let it go since he followed the flight of the ball. Maher knew what he was doing alright, but you'd swear he nearly murdered him the way some are going on. It's gas Limerick posters calling it assault etc., their players have been giving as good as anyone for the last few years and got away with worse too


Advertisement