Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding my dog

Options
  • 30-06-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right place or not, I have a fabulous huge male bulldog and never really considered studding him. However so many people have asked me now if I’d consider it that I now am!

How do I go about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Unless you've been showing him in conformation and winning, you don't. Friends and family, while well-meaning, are not qualified to say that he's a good enough example of the breed to put to stud.

Secondly, you'd need to have him tested for any congenital issues he'd be at risk of passing on.

Thirdly, do you really think Ireland needs more puppies, of any breed, let alone one that vets have asked people to stop buying because of their health issues?

Enjoy your dog, admire him, love him. But leave him as a family pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Are there any endorsements on his papers? Your breeder should be the first port of call, and in an ideal world, would act as mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right place or not, I have a fabulous huge male bulldog and never really considered studding him. However so many people have asked me now if I’d consider it that I now am!

How do I go about this??

You don't really. It is the bitch owners that choose who to use & why. Any reputable breeders also only use health tested dogs who are proven workers, conformation winners with titles.

Is your dog registered? Can you go back to the breeder & get them to mentor you? What sort of Bulldog is he? What age is he? Will he be able to even mate a bitch? All questions you need to ask yourself. Will you be responsible for any puppies he produces?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

my question are you planning to keep a pup from any potential mating

that's after all the above excellent advice the others above have given you has been considered

Advertisement