Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming fatigue

Options
  • 30-06-2019 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just looking for some help if possible I've only been learning to swim the past nine months or so and the biggest thing at the moment that's holding me back is the fact I'm knackered after maybe three laps in the pool which might only be 3 or 4 minutes and it feels like I've been longer.. so would anyone have any tips to help me prolong my laps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Fins.

Fire up the big muscles and get them into shape.

The also help with body position and stability allowing you to get more air in and slowing your breathing. Breath control is important.

Make sure you stretch gently after fin work and drink some electrolyte after the sessions. Your legs will fire out a fair bit of latic the first few times, but they'll respond quickly and start to condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Do intervals at same pace once a week. Perhaps start at one lap with minute recovery. Reduce recovery by 15 seconds after a few weeks. When down to 15 second recovery, have 2 laps at same pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Agree with AngryHippie - Body Position and Breathe Control are the foundations. Once you get comfortable breathing it becomes easier to correct the body position and then move onto improving fitness in the water.

Have you had anyone look at you while swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

ray o wrote: »
    Agree with AngryHippie - Body Position and Breathe Control are the foundations. Once you get comfortable breathing it becomes easier to correct the body position and then move onto improving fitness in the water.

Have you had anyone look at you while swimming?

I've been getting lessons from day dot it's just the breathing is letting me down it's frustrating because you'd think after 9 months I'd be able to master a good session in the pool rather then feeling goosed after 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

What feedback have the given you on your breathing?

How often do you breathe? i.e once every 2 strokes? 3 strokes? 4 strokes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

Ankle flexibility is very important when it comes to kicking, if you can't point your toes back towards the wall while you are swimming away from it, you need to improve it.
    Also work on sculling, lying on you back, just using your hands and wrists moving in a figure of 8. Move feet first, then move head first.
    Sculling is like the 5th stroke, it will increase your feel of the water, cause you to relax more in the water if you want to improve it.
    Also practice backcrawl and breaststroke, all will help increase your watermanship and improve your frontcrawl.

audiRon wrote: »
    Ankle flexibility is very important when it comes to kicking, if you can't point your toes back towards the wall while you are swimming away from it, you need to improve it.
    Also work on sculling, lying on you back, just using your hands and wrists moving in a figure of 8. Move feet first, then move head first.
    Sculling is like the 5th stroke, it will increase your feel of the water, cause you to relax more in the water if you want to improve it.
    Also practice backcrawl and breaststroke, all will help increase your watermanship and improve your frontcrawl.

That's step 2 material there to be fair.
    Sculling will help you with the "catch" phase of your stroke and with your arm, shoulder and back LME, It does also help with body stability but if you are getting gassed, its the big muscles and inefficient movement that are holding you back.

Step 1 is Body position and stability. They are key to the entire operation.
    If your legs are sinking, it takes 3-4 times as much effort to move forwards in the water.
    If your body is rolling around or unstable, it's impossible to get proper breaths out and in leaving you fighting CO2 all the time and your HR redlining from very little progress.

A set of pool fins will cost the same as two or three lessons. The leg work intensity will increase your aerobic fitness and ensure the lungs and heart are up to the workrate. The fins themselves will provide you with a feedback mechanism from the feet. If you aren't planter-flexing your feet and pointing your toes Ankle-Mobility.png you will still go nowhere with fins on. Once you get them used to being permanently pointed and get a small knee flex going and kick from the hip you'll be zipping along in no time.

Work with the rhythm of the kick to get a feel for shoulder roll and timing of your breathing.

Out of curiosity, I presume you have been swimming freestlye/Front Crawl, How many strokes have you been taking per breath ?

As an aside, I'd be careful with breaststroke, particularly if you have had any back, knee or hip issues or injuries in the past.
    Even perfectly executed technique applies a lot of stress to those joints, mediocre or poor technique can run the risk of RSI and/or sprains. It's easy to overdo it.

Backstroke is a good fall back, if you are lucky enough to have a lane to yourself and want to do some serious fin-work, blasting through some pyramid sets of backstroke allows you to breath as heavily as you need to and pump in some big work. Don't do it in a crowded pool though, you'll clatter backwards into someone and take their teeth out. (that's how fast you can go with fins and good technique)

Keep in mind also, Even competitive swimmers have to grind through a warm-up phase at the start of every session.

Generally, starting off easy and raising the heart rate fairly gently at the start of a session is better than jumping in the pool, pushing off the wall and going hell for leather from the start.

Start your sessions gently, get the heart rate in the 120-140 zone for 4-5 minutes, let it recover back below 100 briefly and get some air in. Your body is now primed for aerobic exercise. Your blood vessels have expanded, your heart muscle is ready for action, your lungs are opened up to maximize airflow. These are physiological changes that all human bodies undergo when starting aerobic exercise.

Towards the end of your sessions when you are tired and everything is a bit gooey is the best time to slow down and concentrate on fine points of technique (Sculling etc.) are extra beneficial at this point in your sessions.

Do a bit of a warm down at the end, bring your heart rate back down below 100 before getting out and drink plenty of water before and after swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

"but if you are getting gassed, its the big muscles and inefficient movement that are holding you back."
    Don't completely agree there. Timing of breathing, not being relaxed in the water, not being streamlined, holding your breath rather than breathing naturally, will contribute to a beginner getting out of breath quicker, ahead of working the legs too hard.
    Stick a pull buoy between you legs, hold it right up in your crotch, and see how you get on.

Also sculling helps more than just the catch, in the same way streamline position kick on your back helps more than just kick, or just push offs

Order of teaching and skill acquisition:

Body Position
    Legs
    Arms
    Breathing
    Timing

Inefficient Movement will devastate your energy levels in learning stages 1 and 2.

Sculling does have some benefits for the core and body position, but they are out of context unless the body position and legs are functioning reasonably well.

Swimming is taught in this order as reasonable competence at the previous step is required in order to practice and learn the skill for the next step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Was about to post the same question, but still would like to chime in.

Last year, never swam ever unable to do anything never in a pool, after watching youtube and messing around can now 'swim' at my local 25m pool. My routine after a gym session - please don't think im super fit its a fairly light easy session - I do 2xfreestyle lengths+2xback strokes, break and repeat four times.

My issue is I see many many others go up and down without any serious effort, while after my 2xfree style I need to catch my breath. I don't think I am that unfit, I can cycle 10km in 20min on a WattBike then run 1.5km on threadmill. I can do 25m length in about 40sec - which is pretty awful compared to most I think.

I really find it hard to stop my head looking up to the ceiling when breathing, but do make a effort to have my eyes locked straight down while head is in the water. I know I also have a pinched nerve in my neck and one shoulder is very stiff as a result.

Sorry for the rambling post, but would appreciate any feedback.

jogdish wrote: »
    I really find it hard to stop my head looking up to the ceiling when breathing, but do make a effort to have my eyes locked straight down while head is in the water. I know I also have a pinched nerve in my neck and one shoulder is very stiff as a result.

Sorry for the rambling post, but would appreciate any feedback.

There is a difference between being bike-fit, running-fit and being swim-fit. Have a look at the training balance for triathletes that have come from bike or run backgrounds to see the amount of ground they need to make up on swimming background triathletes.

There are a few drills that can help with this breathing and body position issue for freestyle/crawl.

The principle behind it is a basic balance beam. When you lie flat in the water facing the bottom with your legs at the surface, you are streamlined for forward movement in the glide position. Once you lift your head, your legs will automatically sink. It takes a good deal of leg kicking to counterbalance that effect.
    Efficient breathing occurs through shoulder and head rotation to the side requiring only the mouth (sometimes only part of it) to clear the water in order to pull in air. This occurs between the end of the arm pull and during some of the arm recovery phase (on that side).
    A good starting point is to push off the wall, do three strokes and try breathing on the 3rd stroke a few times. Your face should never look forward or up during this.
    High-Elbow Drill forces your shoulders to rotate and improves core stability during rotation to improve control, minimizing the neck movement by allowing the shoulders to roll naturally will definitely help with nerve in your neck. It would probably be worth getting that looked at, as it may be best to get it loosened out a bit through massage or Physio.
    High Elbow also forces the natural breathing position for the head and promotes correct timing of the breath, as your hand passes your chin, your head should be rotating back down, breath complete.

Catch-up won't help with the breathing phase, but may help with the timing and balance coming from your legs.

Both of these drills can be done with fins on.
    On the subject of fin-work, I can't recommend it enough as a feedback mechanism for those learning to swim off their own bats.

On the Breathing itself, I have always found Explosive breathing to be a bit detrimental to development as its not a natural way to breathe during continual exercise. Try holding your breath for 10 strides while running, then to an explosive breath in and out and repeating it. It gases you, CO2 levels build up and your unconscious brain takes over and things get rushed and panicky.
    Trickle breathing on the other hand allows a small steady flow of air out during the strokes, allowing you to scrub out some CO2 from the system as well as reducing the number of actions to be undertaken when your face is out of the water.

Try them both, find which is most comfortable for you.

Keep in mind the above contains about 20 different teaching points and technique points that would be dished out over the course of several weeks after a stroke analysis, so they are all shots in the dark, one of them will probably work, but the best remedy is to have a reputable coach or experienced instructor have a look and point to which one specifically to focus on first. They are in roughly order of likelihood from top to bottom.
    :D

Advertisement