Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Question

Options
  • 29-06-2019 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi!

My top choice is Biological, Environmental and Earth Sciences in UCC. It was 431 last year, but it will probably go up as when I checked the current statistics the number of applicants in this field has increased by over 2,000.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten somewhere around 421-470 in the LC. It's quite a big margin, so I'm not 100% sure if I'll get the points I need. My next choices include similar courses in DCU, Trinity and Galway. The points are higher for DCU and Trinity, so I just put them down just in case they somehow dropped. In Galway it's lower (around 401).

I'm fairly certain I'll get the points for Galway, but I never really wanted to go there as it was just a backup I put down before the Change of Mind deadline. My original backup is to take a year out and work to earn money to go to the University of Vienna next year.

When the offers come out, what approach should I take? If I don't get the points for UCC at Round One, how long should I wait and see if the points drop or should I accept the offer that I'm certain I'll get from Galway straight away (in case I am too late and lose the offer for that one as well).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

gronings wrote: »
    Hi!

My top choice is Biological, Environmental and Earth Sciences in UCC. It was 431 last year, but it will probably go up as when I checked the current statistics the number of applicants in this field has increased by over 2,000.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten somewhere around 421-470 in the LC. It's quite a big margin, so I'm not 100% sure if I'll get the points I need. My next choices include similar courses in DCU, Trinity and Galway. The points are higher for DCU and Trinity, so I just put them down just in case they somehow dropped. In Galway it's lower (around 401).

I'm fairly certain I'll get the points for Galway, but I never really wanted to go there as it was just a backup I put down before the Change of Mind deadline. My original backup is to take a year out and work to earn money to go to the University of Vienna next year.

When the offers come out, what approach should I take? If I don't get the points for UCC at Round One, how long should I wait and see if the points drop or should I accept the offer that I'm certain I'll get from Galway straight away (in case I am too late and lose the offer for that one as well).

Thanks!

If you accept any offer you could still be offered a higher pick offer in a later round (don’t bank on it).
    If you are offered anything you won’t be offered a lower pick in a later round (even if you don’t accept)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gronings

Perfect so I guess I should accept the Galway offer straight away and then if a UCC offer does come through accept that instead. Would that then cancel out the Galway offer if that situation did occur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 am27

Hi!

Thanks!

I wouldn't count yourself out yet - just because the general subject area interest has increased mightn't mean that specific course will have a massive jump in points.

If you get offered Galway accept it and see how you get on in the Round 2 offers. You can always decide not to go then and let the college know, so your place can be offered to someone else in Round 3. You also have the option of maybe considering an "available places" course later on too, on the off chance something there takes your interest.

You could also head to Galway for the first year and enquire about the possibility of transferring to UCC for second year? Best of luck anyway with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Perfect so I guess I should accept the Galway offer straight away and then if a UCC offer does come through accept that instead. Would that then cancel out the Galway offer if that situation did occur?

I think you’d have the choice of the two courses if that occurred.

Advertisement