Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

IMPORTING A UK HORSEBOX - VRT & TAX Query

• 29-06-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wardy24

Hi.

I bought a 3.5tonne Horsebox conversion in the UK (Renault Master chassis with the body professionally converted by a Horsebox company - very happy with it). Went with Wexford Insurance for cover to bring it home on UK reg and will let them know when I have the Irish plates on it. - easy.

Now I need to VRT it and then , i think, DOE it.

It is registered as a N1 Light Goods Vehicle on the V5 document from the UK. So I presume I bring it to VRT and it will be €200, then arrange a DOE where I declare it as a horsebox for everything to be above board?

Have I got it right above? Or do I have to do something different? I want to have it registered as a horsebox here in case of any insurance loopholes (god forbid I get into a scrape). Also any idea what the road tax will be when all is done? - there are no living quarters or extra seats in the back, so it just sits 3 people in the cab.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Declan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ Kamili

If it was converted to a horsebox you will also need an engineers report, basically signing off on the conversion. (As in if it was originally a goods vehicle then converted for use for carrying horses)

Call the VRT office and they will confirm for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mammy bear

wardy24 wrote: »
    Hi.

I bought a 3.5tonne Horsebox conversion in the UK (Renault Master chassis with the body professionally converted by a Horsebox company - very happy with it). Went with Wexford Insurance for cover to bring it home on UK reg and will let them know when I have the Irish plates on it. - easy.

Now I need to VRT it and then , i think, DOE it.

It is registered as a N1 Light Goods Vehicle on the V5 document from the UK. So I presume I bring it to VRT and it will be €200, then arrange a DOE where I declare it as a horsebox for everything to be above board?

Have I got it right above? Or do I have to do something different? I want to have it registered as a horsebox here in case of any insurance loopholes (god forbid I get into a scrape). Also any idea what the road tax will be when all is done? - there are no living quarters or extra seats in the back, so it just sits 3 people in the cab.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Declan.

Hi I am just about to do the same. Collecting my 3.5 horsebox from uk next week.

Was the process of registering it as a horsebox straight forward?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Advertisement