Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel expenses

Options
  • 29-06-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

A few times a year we are requested to travel by own means to different locations for meetings/training. Sometimes the manager provides a voucher for fuel but its always a struggle to get one.
    Whats the deal with this, are companies obliged to provide expenses to locations that are beyond normal place of work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

What's the company policy? I usually take public transport and claim back the ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

how far away are these meetings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Yourmama wrote: »
    What's the company policy? I usually take public transport and claim back the ticket price.

Thats part of the mystery!,

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    how far away are these meetings?

It varies, next one is 130km each way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    It varies, next one is 130km each way

Send a mail to your manager and ask how you will be reimbursed for expenses incurred. Then if they are not refunded refuse to go to any such meeting that are not in your normal place of work. Have you your contract to hand and have you read it?

how big a company is it and do you have access to company policy regarding travel?

For instance where I work if travel is needed then work pay provide me with a credit card and everything from fuel, food, flights and accommodation go on it. All of which are clearly stated in the company policy on business justifiable travel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bear in mind that could be two hours each way by cat. Will this be during work time or will they pay for a hotel and subsistence?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does your contract say anything? Or does your company have an expenses policy?

In general, you should be reimbursed for additional travel (outside of travel to your standard workplace). This should cover mileage, tolls, meals, hotel or whatever costs are incurred.

IMO, it’s not enough to get your fuel reimbursed. There is also additional wear & tear on your car. A mileage rate usually offers enough to cover fuel plus wear & tear. If you’re also using your car for work travel (outside of commuting) then you may need Class I indemnity named to your employer. This covers occasional use for work.

Time and lodgings are fine if needed, its the fuel expense that it difficult to get from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

In a previous job we were based in Head office in Dublin and sometimes the IT guys had to go to the belfast office but they were always allowed to put the mileage through on expenses, you shouldnt be expected to have to pay for it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tell them that you no longer own a car, and that they only way you'll be able to go is if they either buy your bus ticket or provide you with a rental car.

• Advertisement

Tell them that you no longer own a car, and that they only way you'll be able to go is if they either buy your bus ticket or provide you with a rental car.

This is the plan if they dont cough up!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If my employer offered me a bus ticket for a 130km journey, I'd tell them where to go.
    Train I would consider but no way a bus for two hours.
    Senior management won't take the bus. Why should I?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In most places you get civil service rates for mileage so varies depending on CC of car and yearly distance covered, details here

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/civil-service-rates.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Make sure to check with your insurer before claiming mileage or travel expenses! Some policies won't cover driving for work at all, others will cover a small amount per year, others require a step up to class 2 which may be free or chargeable. It's a different story again if you're claiming mileage and also carrying any equipment or stock or other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Time and lodgings are fine if needed, its the fuel expense that it difficult to get from them

Point blankly refuse to go unless a fuel allowance or fueled up rental car is provided. To be honest I’d not even be on to take my own transport, putting wear and tear on your own vehicle, if they want you to travel as part of your work a vehicle should be given.

Advertisement