Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - Bid To Upgrade?

Options
  • 29-06-2019 12:42am

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this system?

I am flying to Chicago and I put €520 (Halfway on "Fair" on their meter) on the way to Chicago & I put €600 (Halfway on "Good" on their meter") for the way back. The reason I put more on the way back is that the economy looks pretty full so I presume more people are likely to bid on the seats.

Do you have any recommendations on what to bid and will get me the upgrade? Am I putting on too much?

It was 2250 for business return for where I am going as I have a connecting flight after but if I win the bids I would be paying around 1850 or so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,304 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this system?

I am flying to Chicago and I put €520 (Halfway on "Fair" on their meter) on the way to Chicago & I put €600 (Halfway on "Good" on their meter") for the way back. The reason I put more on the way back is that the economy looks pretty full so I presume more people are likely to bid on the seats.

Do you have any recommendations on what to bid and will get me the upgrade? Am I putting on too much?

It was 2250 for business return for where I am going as I have a connecting flight after but if I win the bids I would be paying around 1850 or so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andy
    I wouldn’t bother with business class on a day time flight. Only really worth while during a night flight and you want to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That seems like a lot of money to bid tbh.
    I did it once on the way to Toronto I bid the minimum plus 10 euro and got it.
    It is pretty relaxing, the beds and food are excellent, but I wouldnt in a million years pay a similar amount to your bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

All depends on how full business class is on the flight and how many people bid. I bid slightly more than the minimum on a BOS-SNN flight a few years back and ended up getting the upgrade; well worth the couple hundred bucks it cost me. I usually pay about €1500-€1600 for round trip business class to the States with BA, so that wouldn't be a terrible deal I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t bother with business class on a day time flight. Only really worth while during a night flight and you want to rest.

I'd be the opposite. I can sleep in economy so prefer to use miles to upgrade on day flights so I can enjoy it more.

Those bids seem like they should win. Personally I'd lower then but at the end of the day only you can decide what it's worth to you

dennyk wrote: »
    All depends on how full business class is on the flight and how many people bid. I bid slightly more than the minimum on a BOS-SNN flight a few years back and ended up getting the upgrade; well worth the couple hundred bucks it cost me. I usually pay about €1500-€1600 for round trip business class to the States with BA, so that wouldn't be a terrible deal I suppose.

Hey I was looking there on ExpertFlyer.com and it showed 20 seats available on the flight over while on the flight back there are 9 that are available and 7 are blocked from viewing. So they could be available or not available. I am thinking of lowering my bid for the flight over and keep an eye on the flight back and adjust accordingly. Would I be right in thinking that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Hey,

The reason I put more on the way back is that the economy looks pretty full so I presume more people are likely to bid on the seats.

that's not how it works. Not everyone is invited to bid. Also, unless you have access to the Aer Lingus reservations system, seat maps are not accurate.

Other factors to consider are how many seats will be available, how many people are traveling in your party. Another thing to note is IF you are successful, you are usually notified 24/36 hours beforehand and seats are allocated from what's left.

Also check the plane type - if it's a 757 I wouldn't bother but what you've bid does seem on the high side. Any time I've bid, I've been successful but I only bid east to west - it's not worth it for me on a 6/7 hour flight from East Coast USA.

Hey,

The reason I put more on the way back is that the economy looks pretty full so I presume more people are likely to bid on the seats.

that's not how it works. Not everyone is invited to bid. Also, unless you have access to the Aer Lingus reservations system, seat maps are not accurate.

Other factors to consider are how many seats will be available, how many people are traveling in your party. Another thing to note is IF you are successful, you are usually notified 24/36 hours beforehand and seats are allocated from what's left.

Also check the plane type - if it's a 757 I wouldn't bother but what you've bid does seem on the high side. Any time I've bid, I've been successful but I only bid east to west - it's not worth it for me on a 6/7 hour flight from East Coast USA.

Fair, the last two times we went with Aer Lingus we were offered but I never took up on it. I have 2 in my party and it's a A333. I'd rather get the offer for West to East so we can sleep but I'd like to get it both ways if possible haha. How much did you bid for your upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Never bid myself but my brother and his daughter were flying from New Jersey to Dublin and he bid $500 per person each way to upgrade and got both

Advertisement